No announcement yet.

Tyres - 245/40/19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would it matter if the tyres had SUV printed on them?

Does that make then unsuitable for a normal hatchback car

Comment

Originally posted by Vx-Man-G View Post
      Would it matter if the tyres had SUV printed on them?

Does that make then unsuitable for a normal hatchback car
      As long as they're 19's and roughly the same size as the standard tyres. SUV tyres usually have a bigger sidewall so just check this.

Comment

OK, thank you. Even if the profile is the same, as in 45, they would still have a bigger side wall???

Comment

I think the size RBH is suggesting is the 255x40x19 that he has, if you use the calculator you'll see it makes just a 1.2% difference on your speedo, thats within the manufacturer tolerance. If you fit a 45 profile it will make a bigger difference 3.5% which could put your speedo reading under what you are actually doing.
          An SUV rated trye is likely to have stiffer sidewalls and sometimes a chunkier tread to allow for mild offroad use so you wont neccessarily improve the ride.
          going to a 255x40 instead of 245x40 will give 10 mm more width and 4mm more sidewall which doesn't sound much but should improve the ride and give better rim protection.
          I did it on mine (although 255x35x20) and the extra 3.5 mm in sidewall and slightly more volume makes the ride very good.

Hope that helps.
          Last edited by Drew; 22-09-2020, 08:58 AM. Reason: I've edited that because I got the profile wrong in the first line, it should have read 40 Not 45.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew View Post
            I think the size RBH is suggesting is the 255x45x19 that he has, if you use the calculator you'll see it makes just a 1.2% difference on your speedo, thats within the manufacturer tolerance. If you fit a 45 profile it will make a bigger difference 3.5% which could put your speedo reading under what you are actually doing.
            An SUV rated trye is likely to have stiffer sidewalls and sometimes a chunkier tread to allow for mild offroad use so you wont neccessarily improve the ride.
            going to a 255x40 instead of 245x40 will give 10 mm more width and 4mm more sidewall which doesn't sound much but should improve the ride and give better rim protection.
            I did it on mine (although 255x35x20) and the extra 3.5 mm in sidewall and slightly more volume makes the ride very good.

Hope that helps.
            Mines are 255/40x19
            i personally would go any more than this.

Why would you wanna out SUV tyres on.....they'll be more expensive

Comment

Originally posted by RBH View Post

Mines are 255/40x19

Sorry tried to help there and posted the wrong size, I know you stuck with 40s and just went fatter like I did and I still put 45 doh.

What RBH said ! They're the best alternative if you want to improve ride (and looks imo)

Comment

Originally posted by RBH View Post

Mines are 255/40x19

How would the fatter tyre improve ride as its still the same profile?

Are we still saying 245/45/19 would be a suitable alternative for a better ride ?

Comment

The second figure is the sidewall height expressed as a percentage of the width. So if you increase width you increse sidewall height by that percentage as well. That second figure is not fixed your sidewall height is 40% of the width i.e. 40% of 245 is 98mm, thats the height of the sidewall. Increase to 255 width and 40% is 102mm so you gain 4mm extra sidewall. I know it doesn't sound a lot but you also increase the volume of the tyre as well and greater volume equals a smoother ride.

Comment

If you keep the same width and change profile to 45% you would increse the sidewall height by around 12.25mm which could be too much.

Comment

Just buy the feckin tyres

Comment

Believe me MR rock -man .
                        im running 225-35-18"
                        and the ride dare I say is a bit "crashey "
                        now if I had been cleaver I could of and I wish I had gone for 45 profile
                        less crashey esp with our roads being full of holes .
                        yes it may look better with lower profile,but for transporting family around a higher profile is more family friendly.
                        if you are thinking of SUV tyres then my answer would be no !
                        as potentially you are fitting a tyre that is not designed for use on a car
                        but that's my therory.

12-34 low profile!

.K.M.P.C.U
                        YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

255/40 does seem like a sensible option.

Let me look into this and prices, etc.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Vx-Man-G View Post
                            255/40 does seem like a sensible option.

Let me look into this and prices, etc.

Thanks.
                            Oh aye.

Comment

Working...
                            X