Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shell V-power diesel

Hi All,
    Since I bought my 2018 Insignia B 2.0 at 40K miles, I have been using cheap and cheerful supermarket diesel mainly from Tesco. So far I have covered about 25K miles within last 2 years in this car. About 6 weeks ago the engine management light turned on. I ignored it because I assumed that my insignia needs some motorway mileages for a self-clean. Then, about two weeks ago an amber light started turning on while driving. The light was showing a car and skid marks. There was a message "engine power is reduced". And there was a significant loss of power. It was like limp mode. Every time that light turned on, a restart cleared it and I kept driving like that for about 2 weeks. Finally, yesterday another light turned on but this time it was in my head! I filled up the tank at a Shell station with V-power diesel. Within a few miles engine power reduced sign disappeared. After about 100 miles usage in two days, engine management light turned off. The engine pulls like a train and I feel epic again! I am really wondering if I was on the wrong type of fuel (that is Tesco diesel) since I bought it? What fuel do people use?
    Cheers

Well......I certainly wouldn't be using supermarket stuff

I'm not saying it's all bad .......but compare it to this.

You can buy a pair of marigolds for 39p, cut the fingers off them and you have 10 pieces.......or buy a pack of 3 rubber Johnny's for a fiver............you get the idea??

Comment

the car knows what's good for it !!, never use supermarket fuel, mines petrol and it knows the difference if i use E10or E5 from leading retailers ,90% of my drive is local (cars 4 years old with 19 K on) twice now i too have had warning reduced power but there was no discernible reduction in power in my case, i was going from regular E5 top ups and filled up fully with E10 for a long trip( cost of living and all that) warning came on in first 10 mile , and happened again on another long tip with E10 .
      both times i have cleared the codes with my diag tool, next week i will have a 350 mile trip to do i will be using a combination of E5 & E10 to avoid a reoccurrence .( but i do carry a cheap code tool in case)
      dean.m

Comment

Originally posted by RBH View Post
        Well......I certainly wouldn't be using supermarket stuff

I'm not saying it's all bad .......but compare it to this.

You can buy a pair of marigolds for 39p, cut the fingers off them and you have 10 pieces.......or buy a pack of 3 rubber Johnny's for a fiver............you get the idea??
        Yes, got it, rubber johnny is far too expensive for dish washing! LOL

Comment

I'll tell you this.
          Leaseplan have taken any Tesco's fuel off its preferred fuel .
          Due to the amount of call outs carried out by AA the recovery company.
          Also key fuel has the same policy.
          I had a Vectra B that used to throw the EML if I used Tesco's fuel.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

.K.M.P.C.U
          YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Originally posted by lizzard-t View Post
            I'll tell you this.
            Leaseplan have taken any Tesco's fuel off its preferred fuel .
            Due to the amount of call outs carried out by AA the recovery company.
            Also key fuel has the same policy.
            I had a Vectra B that used to throw the EML if I used Tesco's fuel.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
            I’ve never had any issue with Tesco fuel in all three of my Vauxhalls, but the misses on the other hand used to swear by the fact tescos fuel would make her car behave oddly.

It’s funny you mention keyfuels and tesco. We are not allowed to fill up at tescos at work, they get charged extra on top of the bunker price they pay for the fuel cards.

Comment

I go wherever it's cheapest. For me that's Asda, sometimes Sainsbury's. Coincidentally, I recently read an article about this on the BBC website. For petrol vehicles, unless it's a super sports like a Porsche etc, Normal octane is fine. The posher diesel just has cleaning additives in it. Which a good run. on ordinary diesel will achieve similar results.

Comment

Originally posted by Jodanuke View Post
                I go wherever it's cheapest. For me that's Asda, sometimes Sainsbury's. Coincidentally, I recently read an article about this on the BBC website. For petrol vehicles, unless it's a super sports like a Porsche etc, Normal octane is fine. The posher diesel just has cleaning additives in it. Which a good run. on ordinary diesel will achieve similar results.
                Same here....had diesel for nearly 30 yrs,and it gets the cheapest available.....which currently is £1.62.9 per litre at local Esso garage. If asda was cheaper,it would be getting it....never had fuel related issues in all this time......
                ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

My works van 69 plate Transit Custom Trend has had Tesco diesel since delivery,no issues.
                  Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
                  Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Ad my derv for 5 years and I've ran mine on morrisons.....no issues.
                    now using tesco......again no issues.

Comment

Fuel is fuel, if its not then its a can of compressed custard.
                      Morrisons for my car.
                      and it goes like a scalded albatross.

.K.M.P.C.U
                      YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Yup, mine gets Tesco, Morrisons, Shell, never feel a difference, I do however every 3rd tank full put in half a bottle of Redex. But have done that on all my cars, no idea if it helps, but makes me fell better for using the cheap stuff

Comment

Working...
                        X