Vauxhall Omega

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vauxhall Omega

Back in the day I used to have a Carlton. It was a great car car. Wanted a Senator also but never got round to it.

Lately been pondering whether or not to buy an Omega as there are still quite a few left and they are priced reasonably (under 3000 even for nice examples) whereas most used cars are over priced.

So it would be summer use only, not as my main car obviously, have the Insignia for that. Thinking about the 2.2, the 2.0 seems underpowered for that car, and I'm not too fussed about the V6's. Anyone on here have/had an Omega? Are they any good? The historical reviews of them say the same thing - some complain they were not as good as the Carlton and are unreliable, others say they are actually OK and an improvement.

Nice cars bud, I always fancied having an omega or senator and dropping and LS in it.... a 6.0 V8 Monza would have been something too

Comment

They are a big improvement on the carlton.
      I was buying one from N.I in Nautilus blue and it was stunning.
      2 days before I was going over the owner called it off. Said he didn't want to sell it.

But, I'm still in the hunt for one, but it needs to be the 3.2 V6 Elite with every toy on the tick list.

It'll go nicely with the Cavalier Expression, the Calibra 2.5 V6 and the wee corsa B we've just bought.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20240330-WA0009.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	365521
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20240330-WA0013.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	365520

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far.

Yes the Omega would be a fine addition to your other Vauxhalls RBH!

Myself I am not thinking too seriously about it just now, just a possibility for a summer fun car to play about with if I have time/extra cash. I just want to own one before they are all gone - the Carlton and Senator went the same way the Omega is right now, at around 20 years since production ended, then around 4 or 5 are on AutoTrader for sale nationwide, then all of a sudden they disappear completely and the prices go way up as they become rare.

Thats why I'm not too fussed about the particular model - I reckon I'd be happy with a 1994 GLS 2.0 Omega as much as I would be with an end of production 2003/4 3.2/3.0 V6 Elite. Oh and manual or auto I'm not bothered either. Unless there is any infamous gearbox issues on those cars that I should know about...

Comment

I always liked the sporty MV6 model, it would have to be a v6 for me such a nice engine in my opinion..

Comment

I had a royale in carnelian Red metallic, an absolute barge,not my best ever purchase but I could get 6 of my friends in there for a night out at the local Hop .
            But ,I had a thing about the original Carlton.
            anyways I digress if you can get one then if it was a couple of months ago I would of brought in on the deal .
            but I'm in the middle of purchasing an AEC RF with metro cammel bodywork.

.K.M.P.C.U
            YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

I have had four from a 2.5 estate, two 3.0 elites saloons and currently a 2.6 saloon.
              they suffer from leaking cam covers, usually because the breathers are not cleaned. And wishbones when they go say goodbye to your front tyres quickly.
              but that said I know I can put the key in and go anywhere none have ever let me down, if I knew how to upload a photo I would of.

Comment

Let's See if this works

Comment

Looks very nice!

Comment

Had a lovely 52 plate V6 2.6 litre auto Omega a few years back, it was like driving in a great big armchair, the 2.6 V6 was powerful enough, but a little juicy on the shorter runs, had the car for nearly 8 years with very little trouble, prob, one of my most reliable cars I have owned! did test drive the 2.2 litre, found that a little under powered for me, but was ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Robmetaxa View Post
                      Had a lovely 52 plate V6 2.6 litre auto Omega a few years back, it was like driving in a great big armchair, the 2.6 V6 was powerful enough, but a little juicy on the shorter runs, had the car for nearly 8 years with very little trouble, prob, one of my most reliable cars I have owned! did test drive the 2.2 litre, found that a little under powered for me, but was ok.
                      well I am driving a 1.8 Insignia just now, so that 2.2 in the Omega will probably feel like a rocket ship

Comment

I have had 2 omegas before the insignia. I had a1997 2.0 CDX and a 2001 2.2 CD both manual. Absolutely loved them both. Like has been said was like driving a big armchair around. The 2.0 was under powered for sure and the 2.2 was thirsty as anything (20mpg round town). Would need wishbones changing regularly until i polyflexed the bushes. Unfortunately rust killed both of them off.

there is still a very active omega owners forum going.

Comment

Originally posted by Plym Ian View Post
                          I have had 2 omegas before the insignia. I had a1997 2.0 CDX and a 2001 2.2 CD both manual. Absolutely loved them both. Like has been said was like driving a big armchair around. The 2.0 was under powered for sure and the 2.2 was thirsty as anything (20mpg round town). Would need wishbones changing regularly until i polyflexed the bushes. Unfortunately rust killed both of them off.

there is still a very active omega owners forum going.
                          I would love a 97 model, actually prefer the pre face lift Omegas to the 1999/2000 update, especially in CDX spec. and yes thinking about the V6's now as the fuel consumption isn't great on the 4 cylinder engines anyway. Time will tell, just trying to cash together for summer!

Comment

I'll take ur omega and I'll raise u a lotus Carlton! Oh those bad boys have got some guts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hindle1976 View Post
                              I'll take ur omega and I'll raise u a lotus Carlton! Oh those bad boys have got some guts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              My plan was (about 20 years ago) onnce I sold my ordinary 2.0 Carlton to buy a Senator 3.0 24v, then a Lotus Carlton, in that order just made sense to me. But then shall we say "life" things happened and I had to make do with other run of the mill economy cars for many years.

No regrets though, plenty of time in my older and wiser years to enjoy these cars now. Problem is most have doubled or even tripled in price since the late 1990s / early 2000s! Nearby where I live I actually saw a genuine good condition Lotus Carlton for sale in the summer of 2003 for only 9 grand. Now its more like 90 grand for even a rough one

Comment

Working...
                              X