Complete detailing novice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complete detailing novice

How much money do you want to spend guys??

There will be many more on here with more detailing experience than me but here's a quick run down of what you should be doing.

A. Always use a sheepskin mitt and two bucket method with grit guard

B. Use a good shampoo (my choice is Meg's gold class) or buy a Snowfoam lance to go with the pressure washer you'll be needing.

C. If you want to apply waxes/sealants/polishes with ease a Dual Action Polisher is a must. Basic ones start at around 75 quid.

1. Power hose the car (if you don't have Snowfoam) to rinse crap off

2. Wash car using two bucket method

3. If required clay bar the car. I use Auto Glym clay and Quick detailer as lube

4. Rinse car again and wash as above

5. If car has swirls or marks this is when you would polish the car using a DA if you have one or a by hand using an applicator. What polish/pads you use will depend on what you need to correct. Always use the lease abrasive polish and pad combo to do the job.

6. Once corrected you need to seal the paint using a wax or sealant. Again, this is personal choice. I'm using Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax just now which I like as it's easy on and off. Apply either with finishing pad using DA or by hand (my preferred method) and buff off with a clean MF

7. Missed a bit out!! Oops. Alloy cleaner. Bilberry Alloy Cleaner is very good. Spray on and leave for a few minutes. Agitate with soft brush or MF mitt and power house off. Do this during No1

8. Invest in a good Tyre Sheen. Meg's Endurance Gel or Blackfire are both very good.

9. Seal your alloys with a specific wheel sealant or as I do with the left over residue from the wax applicator.

Stand back and admire. This will take you a full day to complete if not longer.

PS take an empty Credit Card to the car shop with you or even better do it online.

Comment

What's a grit guard?

Note: I'm fully expecting stupid answers but it's a serious question.

Comment

Exactly what Scotty said, just remember, preparation is the key. There's loads of products on the market, it's just a case of personal choice but if you complete each stage as above, you'll not go wrong.

Comment

It's a mesh guard that goes in the bottom of the bucket. Stops the 'grit' 'crap' coming back into the water thus not putting it back on the mitt and onto your car scratching the hell out it.

Comment

jmagee, on 19 April 2014 - 10:51 PM, said:
            What's a grit guard?

Note: I'm fully expecting stupid answers but it's a serious question.

http://bit.ly/SOKYKu

Comment

AfroSamurai, on 20 April 2014 - 08:49 AM, said:
              2 bucket method?

One bucket with the shampoo and one bucket with clean water, after every panel dunk the mitt/sponge in the clean water and give it a shake then back into the soapy water. I do this after every panel and its amazing how much crap is in the clean water bucket. a grit guard will help even further.
              I want to go out of this world the way i came in...kicking and screaming and covered in somebody elses blood...

Comment

That's good information from Scotty but everyone will use different shampoos, wax or sealants. personally I use Wolfs white satin shampoo and at ?10.50 delivered for a litre its fantastic stuff. ?? Next is wax, I use Dodo supernatural hybrid which is a wax and sealant in one, its not the cheapest at around ?25.00 but it will last 4 months easy. if you want to make you`re car look the business use sonax BSD detailer after every second wash, bit tricky to apply but well worth the effort and will make the water behaviour brilliant.
                I want to go out of this world the way i came in...kicking and screaming and covered in somebody elses blood...

Comment

I like collinite 915. Pretty cheap for the size tin you get. Will last a lifetime. High carnuba wax content. And will protect your car for 6 months. Check out the reviews on youtube. Easy to apply and buff off

Comment

Working...
                  X