Alternator/Battery HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator/Battery HELP!!

OK...i had a new alternator a week ago. Fitted by a professional (and trusted) mechanic...When I drove the car the Service ESP warning appeared...the ESP is FINE!!! Also the Service Battery Charging System warning also came on...and the Battery light came on. Mechanic thought it was a faulty alternator so changed it on Wed. SAME thing happening. Same warning lights coming on and then going off. I have a battery charging indicator plugged in and it appears to intermittently be overcharging and that's when the warning lights come on. I have today had a new battery as mechanic thought it might be a faulty battery cell spiking an overcharge. New battery fitted and problem is WORSE are warning lights coming on but more often and overcharge light on battery indicator on nearly all the time....I'm at the end of my teather with this. Can ANYONE shed any light on what this might be?? The car is going back on Monday for a 3rd alternator but it would be nice if I could give my mechanic any help with this problem as he is at the moment as baffled as I am!! I should add it's an Insignia 58 reg

Where is the alternator from? And is it the same rating as the oem one? And same for the battery. Check all cables are ok inc grounds

Comment

Originally posted by Mo_miah View Post
      Where is the alternator from? And is it the same rating as the oem one? And same for the battery. Check all cables are ok inc grounds
      The alternator was a GeneralTraffic one local supplier. I did wonder if it needed a genuine Vauxhall on or not...I will ask my mechanic to check the cables and the "grounds" I have no idea what "grounds" are ...but i am sure he will. Thanks you for your reply...someone has suggested that it might be fluid ingress in a cable causing it to corrode...but I don"t know what cable he is referring to. I do hope this isn't the beginning of the end for my beloved Siggy

Comment

The ground cable is the negative terminal. The negative on the battery connects to the car body. All electrics on the car then get grounded to the body aswel. So only positive and signal cables are used in the car. Saves a lot of weight and money on cables. If the ground is bad then the circuit will not be complete

Comment

The ground cable is the negative terminal. The negative on the battery connects to the car body. All electrics on the car then get grounded to the body aswel. So only positive and signal cables are used in the car. Saves a lot of weight and money on cables. If the ground is bad then the circuit will not be complete
          That's sounds really helpful does anyone else have any ideas?

Comment

On the OE spec alternators there's two different pulley size's on the alternator shaft this will make a difference to output? perhaps there is a mismatch? In your case the pulley maybe too small and thus overcharging? Only a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by buttons View Post
              On the OE spec alternators there's two different pulley size's on the alternator shaft this will make a difference to output? perhaps there is a mismatch? In your case the pulley maybe too small and thus overcharging? Only a guess.
              Yep I will put that to my mechanic ANY help/advice is very much appreciated thanks

Comment

If your mechanic still has the original alternator/pulley compare the two. No probs, hope you get sorted at no additional expense.

Comment

Originally posted by buttons View Post
                  If your mechanic still has the original alternator/pulley compare the two. No probs, hope you get sorted at no additional expense.
                  I will ask him Monday I won't be paying for a new battery as we've proved this evening it's not that I've paid for the new alternator the second one has been replaced free of charge and the 3rd shouldn't cost me much more...incidentally this all happened when I got the air con re-gassed you live and learn!

Comment

Who regassed your air con?

Comment

Local Mechanic...known trusted and done jobs for me before well established motor business locally

Comment

Did he vacuum out the old gas. Check for leaks and then top up.
                        Or just a top up from a can?

Comment

Not sure I was there when he did it but chatting to a friend so didn't take much notice. Could this possibly have caused the alternator to fail in the first place??

Comment

Who regassed your air con?
                            The same mechanic who fitted the alternator..known...trusted..Local used by me and my family many times. I keep thinking that it MUST have something to do with the aircon re-gassing?? Or am I clutching at straws here??

Comment

Somewhere in the back of my mine someone had problems with an aftermarket alternator before...think the original ones send out a certain signal that the car looks for..

Comment

Working...
                              X