"Service Airbag" after seat swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Service Airbag" after seat swap?

I have swapped my drivers seat for a better one today, and did everything as per the Haynes, removed negative battery lead and waited 5 mins for capacitors to do what they need to.

Fitted replacement seat, all plugged in, switched ignition on and i get that message on dash!!!

Does this mean the airbag in the seat i have fitted is faulty? or does it simply need the error clearing?

xLYALLx, on 13 July 2014 - 05:27 PM, said:
    When I swapped my seats I got no error could be the seat.

F**K!!

Comment

xLYALLx, on 13 July 2014 - 05:32 PM, said:
      Could the air bags from your original seat be swapped over

Not without stripping the seat down

Comment

xLYALLx, on 13 July 2014 - 05:40 PM, said:
        I think I would plug in the original seat see if the error clears ,then if its ok swap the air bag.

have you any come back with the seller of the new seat.

I'll have to try swapping it back and see...I'm not stripping the seat down to swap the airbag, its far far too much of a ball-ache, and the seat was from ebay so i will be contacting the seller.

Comment

Anyone else any thoughts on this, or had experience of this?

I'm not disputing xLYALLx in any way, just wondering if anyone else had this issue?

I've been down to my garage this morning and one of the guys said it's more than likely a fault with the seat if i removed the battery etc before working on it!

Comment

Try unplugging the connectors and reconnect. Might not be seated properly

Comment

Pete Hamnett, on 14 July 2014 - 06:58 PM, said:
              Have you tried the cure all on Siggy's and disconnected the battery for a while and see if that clears it. It has sorted a few glitches out on mine.

Pete.

I haven't done that no, but my garage are going to connect it to diagnostics tomorrow afternoon so if its anything like that it should clear via that, fingers crossed.

?mmiah, on 14 July 2014 - 08:12 PM, said:
              Try unplugging the connectors and reconnect. Might not be seated properly

It seems solid enough, all the seat electrics work so surely they wouldn't if it wasn't fitted right?

?CHUDLEIGHPAUL, on 14 July 2014 - 08:17 PM, said:
              Any possibility that the seller has removed air bags?

Doubtful, as the seat has to be stripped down to remove them surely?.....it didn't come with the pre-tensioner, but I just swapped that from my seat.

Comment

Mick B, on 15 July 2014 - 10:38 PM, said:
                Hi I have just done the same and had the same fault. Took it to the local garage and it came up that the seat tensioner was the cause. Changed my original onto the seat and the light and warning reset.

My replacement seat didnt come with the tensioner so had to swap mine across, so i know that's good.

I had it on diagnostics yesterday at my garage and its showing up with an open circuit...."DTC B0014 Driver side deployment circuit, High reistance - Permanent"

Comment

The seller has given me a full refund, so i'll be putting my old seat in....it's uncomfortable, but at least the airbags work!

Comment

Just a daft thought....could I have damaged anything by shampooing the seat?

Comment

I was thinking could the siggy that this seat came out of been in a accident ? and the airbags been deployed ?? Then the seat repaired ????And does the seat have some sort of function in it that stops the seat being re-used after the airbag has been deployed ?? Just a thought.

Comment

TAPH, on 20 July 2014 - 01:25 PM, said:
                        I was thinking could the siggy that this seat came out of been in a accident ? and the airbags been deployed ?? Then the seat repaired ????And does the seat have some sort of function in it that stops the seat being re-used after the airbag has been deployed ?? Just a thought.

Not sure, the guy i bought it off said not...all he said was that it didnt come with a pre-tensioner...which initially made me think has the pre-tensioner fired in an accident....but the airbags would rip the seat side when they deploy, and it would be a hell of a hassle to replace an airbag and the seat material jut to sell a used seat.

Comment

MadOnVaux!, on 20 July 2014 - 03:59 PM, said:

Not sure, the guy i bought it off said not...all he said was that it didnt come with a pre-tensioner...which initially made me think has the pre-tensioner fired in an accident....but the airbags would rip the seat side when they deploy, and it would be a hell of a hassle to replace an airbag and the seat material jut to sell a used seat.

I was also reading that the airbag did not need to deploy as in a low speed frontal accident and the pre-tensioner sent a signal to the ECU telling the car was in a accident. I will post the links.

http://autobodystore...hp/t-23915.html

http://www.pistonhea...c.asp?t=1332945

Comment

TAPH, on 20 July 2014 - 04:32 PM, said:
                            I was also reading that the airbag did not need to deploy as in a low speed frontal accident and the pre-tensioner sent a signal to the ECU telling the car was in a accident. I will post the links.

http://autobodystore...hp/t-23915.html

http://www.pistonhea...c.asp?t=1332945

Ahh right thanks...could be a possibility then.

Comment

Not seat related but I have had my steering wheel airbag out on failed vx line wheel swap attempt and now I am getting a service airbag warning light. Anything obvious I may have done wrong when putting it back?

Comment

Working...
                              X