Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keyless entry car theft

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Keyless entry car theft

    Just let you guys know as technology advances so does the criminals.

    This is so shocking to see how easy a modern car is stolen so quickly with keyless entry

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ngham-43737877

  • #2
    What you need to remember is the key needs to be pretty much near the front door of the house (within two metres) for the relay box to read it because the signal given off has a very short range. If it's kept well away from the outer edge of the ground floor there shouldn't be an issue. In my case If it's not in my pocket, it's upstairs in a drawer. Also, this kind of theft is mostly for high end cars where even if they're not keyless entry/start the thief will break into the house to steal the key.

    I think our Insignias are pretty safe because as pretty as we think they are, they're not desirable to the steal to order criminals. Another plus side on Insignias with OnStar is the tracking and remote immobilizing. This makes it another reason for the thief to look elsewhere.
    2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” powder coated alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front sports seats with driver’s AGR - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - OnStar connection - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 incorporating AA/ACP and DAB

    Comment


    • #3
      Great..Bmw.
      but who leaves their keys anywhere near the front door or in fact downstairs,surly any body with sense,takes car,house,work keys upstairs with them..unless you live in a bungalow
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Logosgil View Post
        Great..Bmw.
        but who leaves their keys anywhere near the front door or in fact downstairs,surly any body with sense,takes car,house,work keys upstairs with them..unless you live in a bungalow
        In which case you leave them in the attic. Beside the water tank.

        Comment


        • #5
          I personally leave my keys downstairs. I rather them pinch the cars than them coming upstairs and demand where the keys is, this is when they use to break in houses.
          Now if I had keyless entry I would still leave it downstairs but put in a metal tin to interfere the signal, so if they still come in they can still take the car. Car is replaceable. The law and order is just not sufficient enough here.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by marko301 View Post
            What you need to remember is the key needs to be pretty much near the front door of the house (within two metres) for the relay box to read it because the signal given off has a very short range. If it's kept well away from the outer edge of the ground floor there shouldn't be an issue. In my case If it's not in my pocket, it's upstairs in a drawer. Also, this kind of theft is mostly for high end cars where even if they're not keyless entry/start the thief will break into the house to steal the key.

            I think our Insignias are pretty safe because as pretty as we think they are, they're not desirable to the steal to order criminals. Another plus side on Insignias with OnStar is the tracking and remote immobilizing. This makes it another reason for the thief to look elsewhere.
            Other manufacturers will have similar to our onstar services. But you are right about normal siggy are not those order to steal unless is a vxr/gsi and other performance models from other manufacturers.

            Comment


            • #7
              I keep an axe handle upstairs ready for anybody stupid enough to break into my house while I'm in. As Clint said... "There's nothing like a nice piece of hickory."
              2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” powder coated alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front sports seats with driver’s AGR - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - OnStar connection - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 incorporating AA/ACP and DAB

              Comment


              • #8
                Anyone knows if 2015 keyless insignia can be stolen with that method?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Tattootroy View Post
                  Anyone knows if 2015 keyless insignia can be stolen with that method?
                  Holy thread resurrection Batman
                  https://insignia-drivers.uk/filedata/fetch?filedataid=7610&sigpic=1

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Tattootroy View Post
                    Anyone knows if 2015 keyless insignia can be stolen with that method?
                    Why, did you see a nice one

                    Yes, this works on Insignias as well. Even putting away your key far from the car works, they just need to amplify the signal. Just like a satellite dish which picks up a signal from a source 35000 km, with enough amplification there is enough signal left to do something nasty with.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I'm with those about not keeping keys upstairs...if they are that desperate for an Insignia Estate they can have it. I'd rather they werent upstairs looking for the keys where we all are. Mind you my dog may have a word once they were in the door anyway. Keys for our Insignia and the Passat we have currently on loan are normally about 10yds from the front door in a little basket we keep all the keys in. If it gets nicked it gets nicked....if they turn up at ours and choose either of them over the Alpina D5 over the road, any of his other cars, the S Class or new B Class two doors down, the newish A3 Audi one side of us and the hybrid C Class Merc the other side and then if we work a bit further down there is a nice Touareg, c43 AMG Coupe, Audi eTron and probably numerous others i'd pick over the Insignia Estate or a diesel passat as what to nick!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        That’s a bumper. I’d hope the insignia wasn’t hackable.
                        They stole an old banger from a mate of mine last year when better cars were parked next to it.
                        At least the insurance company will sort it out if it ever happens. Touch wood.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Anyone who is worried can purchase 2 key pouches on Amazon/Ebay for £7ish which contain a Faraday cage. This totally prevents the keys and car communicing with each other and will foil any external attemt at theft. I can stand right beside the car and nothing happens until I remove the key from its pouch. I bought these, cheap and cheerful - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                          Another method is to place the keys in the microwave - just do not operate it with the keys inside!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by GeorgeG View Post
                            Anyone who is worried can purchase 2 key pouches on Amazon/Ebay for £7ish which contain a Faraday cage. This totally prevents the keys and car communicing with each other and will foil any external attemt at theft. I can stand right beside the car and nothing happens until I remove the key from its pouch. I bought these, cheap and cheerful - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                            Another method is to place the keys in the microwave - just do not operate it with the keys inside!
                            I've been using the Faraday pouches from new. Nobody has nicked it yet. So they're deffo worth it.
                            2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” powder coated alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front sports seats with driver’s AGR - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - OnStar connection - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 incorporating AA/ACP and DAB

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by marko301 View Post

                              I've been using the Faraday pouches from new. Nobody has nicked it yet. So they're deffo worth it.
                              they wont steal your car.............there more likely to steal a van






                              and park it at your gate

                              https://insignia-drivers.uk/filedata/fetch?filedataid=7610&sigpic=1

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X