Fitting rear speakers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting rear speakers!

Who has fitted new aftermarket upgrade rear door speakers, and how did you get round the door card not fitting with the new speakers in place?

I've just fitted one in my rear door, come to fit the door card back on and it wont fit due to the new speaker on the adaptor ring.

It looks as if i'm going to have to chop some off the collar type bit on the door card with my 'dremel' tomorrow on both rear door cards.....CBA now, been at it all day!

Just wondered how other people have done it? because there is only one depth/size of adaptor ring available AFAIK?

Nope, all the clips are intact.....I had a look under the card while i was trying to refit it and the speaker part on the door card is against the speaker on the door with about 10mm gap to the card.

When you compare a standard front and rear speaker, the rear is about half the depth of the front one.

What did you use fitting yours, the standard adaptor rings?

Comment

josephditch, on 21 September 2014 - 04:56 PM, said:
      I got some sent with my speakers from ebay but im pretty sure they are the same ones halfords sell. You could always try taking apart the old speaker, i think mine had some sort of adaptor round the stock speaker, sort of stuck to it.

Yeah well ive had a look and there is only one tyre of adaptor ring....very bizarre.

The standard speakers are generally just one piece, i've never known them to have adaptors on from the factory.

I'll see what i come up with tomorrow and update....dare say i'll be doing some cutting by the looks of things

Comment

I've done the drivers side front and thats all ok, but fronts are ok as the adaptor rings are the same depth as the front speakers so in effect it's just like fitting the standard speaker with regard to the space and size.

Comment

Well I've just cut out all the speaker collar from inside the rear door cards....fingers crossed they'll fit tomorrow.....I'll post some pics of the cutting etc tomorrow.

Comment

Pictures as promised...

Firstly the difference between the front and rear speaker depths:

Front:

Rear:

You can see how much shallower the rear is compared to the front, yet there is only one depth of adaptor rings available...hence why my rear door cards wouldnt fit with the new speakers fitted.....

Which leads me onto the trimming of the speaker collar on the door card:

Before:

After:

Quite an easy job to trim with my multi-tool and cutting discs...i wasnt sure how much i needed to trim so pretty much cut it all out.

I hope this helps in future with anyone else upgrading rear speakers.

Comment

Leecrellin, on 16 November 2014 - 10:27 PM, said:
              This is a job for me tomorrow or Tuesday , front and rears . Ordered focal speakers with the adapters to . fingers crossed it don't turn into a pain in the ass. Lol

You'll have to chop out the rear cards like i did.

Comment

Leecrellin, on 19 November 2014 - 04:20 PM, said:
                Chopped and fitted ,

bit of a pain but because I had the heads up wasn't to bad , cheers for that dude :-)

No problem, it is a pain yeah...it took me a while to work out why the door card wouldnt fit back when the new speaker was on,

Strange that nobody has made shallower adaptors for the rear doors!!

Comment

Is there a big difference lee after changing rears,,to sound
                  ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

I can definitely hear the difference since fitting all new speakers, more high end and definition.

Comment

Fli speakers any good????
                      ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

How do you wire a sub through the speaker wires?

I have a kenwood amped sub unit that i had in an old car years ago, and was thinking of sticking it in the Insignia but i've only ever run it on a line-out.

Comment

Leecrellin, on 20 November 2014 - 06:38 PM, said:
                          You just need a high to low converter mate, disconnect the centre speaker which is a load of crap, and attached the high to low converter there , job done :-)

Not a pricey job , heres a link to the one i have

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item19ef8aa459

Cheers

Comment

The centre vent and speaker grill are one part and should just unclip and lift out....mine did anyway.

Not sure how you'd get the speaker out though, there doesnt look much room to get a screwdriver in.

Comment

allydfr, on 22 December 2014 - 06:47 AM, said:
                              How do you access the centre speaker lee?? I bought the parrot loom to do it that way but there's no way im hiding all the cables behind the head unit. Do i access it by actually taking out the head unit and display?? Another question that converter you put up is the one i have do i not need to connect all 4 cables i.e rear - rear + and so on. Surely there is only 2 cables going into the centre speaker??

Mine are all hidden behind my head unit & I have a Parrot kit installed as well. I just folded the cables together & taped them to the Parrot control box. It is tight but they fit

Comment

Working...
                              X