Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car thinks that trailer is connected, even if it isn't

Hi,

Yesterday I was out driving with a trailer connected. I have a retractable towbar, and it has a 13-pin ISO 11446 socket (which is standard in Europe). The trailer was however connected via a 13 to 7-pin adaptor, since it has the old european standard (ISO 1724).

When I was done, I disconnected the trailer completely (towbar+cable) and retracted the towbar. Now, the car says that I should check the lights on the trailer, the parking sensor system is disabled, and the flashers/turn signals(?) are blinking faster than usual - I.e., the car thinks that the trailer is connected, even if it isn't.

So far I've tried this:
    • Folded out the towbar and attached the trailer again. All lights seem to work.
    • Checked the fuses (at least, those who are listed as related to th towbar/trailer).
    • Disconnected the battery for > 10 minutes to "clear the memory".
    • Made sure that the towbar gets retracted all the way in (it works, the beep signal is sounding during the retraction and gets silent when the towbar is fully retracted).
    But, no luck. The next step is to have a closer look on the electronics. My theory is that there is a short circuit somewhere (as I understand it, a trailer is detected when pin 3 and 12 are shorted).

But, before I have a look at this (I',m neither a mechanic or good att vehicle electronics) I want some input from those who may have a clue about what the problem is - You. :-)

So:
    • What's usually the cause for this? Where should I look first?
    • Do you think that the problem is related to the trailer electronics/towbar socket, or the retactable towbar? (I don't know if Insignias can have towbars that are retracted using a motor, but the one on my car is retracted "manually" with a handle).
    Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaàaaaaaaa !
    could be the 13 pin plug itself, I think in the old days when we had square wheels there is a little switch built into the socket which when you plug the plug in it makes contact
    That may well be still pushed in thinking there's a trailer still attached.
    But of lubrication may unstuck it !

23-465566556666 weebles wobble!

.K.M.P.C.U
    YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Working...
    X