Diesel express tuning box and loss of power issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesel express tuning box and loss of power issue

Help needed again please. Sorry when it comes to cars I like to get involved but don't usually know where to start.

Had my car roughly 3 weeks now and was advised it had dpf removed and was remapped to accommodate this. I have noticed today it has a diesel express tuning box. My question is I looked at the settings and all 8 switches were on. Now does this mean it was turned up to the max being 8 or as switch 1 was on was it only on level 1? I have now changed it so just 5 is on as the recommended settings are 3 4 or 5. (What I have read anyway)

Also what are people's opinions of a diesel express box?

I have also noticed that the car pulls very nicely until it gets to 3500 revs and then there is a loss or power? Anyone know what this is?

My car is an 09 Sri nav 130
    sigpic

Power is low down in diesels. Change gear before 3500rpm

Comment

I do usually that's why only just noticed it but occasionally when I pull away quick at a roundabout it's a bit annoying when the power stops all of a sudden. If it's just because it's diesel then that's fine I will get used to it I just thought there may be a problem.
      sigpic

Comment

I can't think when I change to be honest but maybe the difference is being highlighted by the box

Comment

I don't lose power at 3.5k, I usually rev to around 4.5 going onto motorways etc with no issues.

Comment

Hmmm. Anyone else got any ideas? Could this be due to the box? The re map when dpf was removed or is there a problem somewhere else?
            sigpic

Comment

del19_82, on 06 September 2014 - 11:53 PM, said:
              I don't lose power at 3.5k, I usually rev to around 4.5 going onto motorways etc with no issues.

What you say might be right for a stock CDTi 160. But Pondy81 is talking about a 130 with a tuning box and no DPF.

Plus, he's fiddled with switch settings without fully understanding what the settings should be and why. The recommended settings he has read about are probably fine if no other mods had been done. But with the DPF removed, they could be totally different. I would recommend contacting the tuning box manufacturer or agent for advice. There is also mention of a re-map. I assume that this is just to delete the DPF from the ECU software. If it had been remapped properly, there would be no need for a tuning box.

From past experience, I would say progress can be just as brisk when short shifting between 2000 and 2500rpm.

Although, I appreciate that it is necessary to use higher revs, if you need to keep both hands on the wheel.

On a stock diesel, power will generally start to tail-off above 3500rpm. It should be gradual and not be experienced as loss of power. There is little point in holding on much above 4000rpm as the engine just makes a lot of noise. The sudden drop in power Pondy81 describes suggests a problem. Whether that is due to the altered tuning box settings or something else would require investigation. The lack of back-pressure from the missing DPF may have screwed up the operation of the boost control valve or variable vane control.
              Elite ST 2.0i Auto. Power Red With All The Toys

Comment

DeaniFLHT, on 07 September 2014 - 01:10 AM, said:
                What you say might be right for a stock CDTi 160. But Pondy81 is talking about a 130 with a tuning box and no DPF.

Plus, he's fiddled with switch settings without fully understanding what the settings should be and why. The recommended settings he has read about are probably fine if no other mods had been done. But with the DPF removed, they could be totally different. I would recommend contacting the tuning box manufacturer or agent for advice. There is also mention of a re-map. I assume that this is just to delete the DPF from the ECU software. If it had been remapped properly, there would be no need for a tuning box.

From past experience, I would say progress can be just as brisk when short shifting between 2000 and 2500rpm.

Although, I appreciate that it is necessary to use higher revs, if you need to keep both hands on the wheel.

On a stock diesel, power will generally start to tail-off above 3500rpm. It should be gradual and not be experienced as loss of power. There is little point in holding on much above 4000rpm as the engine just makes a lot of noise. The sudden drop in power Pondy81 describes suggests a problem. Whether that is due to the altered tuning box settings or something else would require investigation. The lack of back-pressure from the missing DPF may have screwed up the operation of the boost control valve or variable vane control.

I can honestly say i never noticed a drop in power at 4.5k revs but I will be looking for it now haha. Yeah I get that the box & DPF delete will make a difference. maybe an idea for the OP to remove the box and see how the car is without it?

Comment

Can I just turn all settings off on the box to test this or do I have to remove the box completely?
                  sigpic

Comment

Ok thanks. Will try and test this next weekend but if I can get it in garage before as one of the rear windows has stopped working I will get them to look at the rpm problem
                    sigpic

Comment

I don't know what all settings do but setting 5 which I now have it on has not caused a problem to other peoples cars on here and mine is still the same.

It's been into the local garage and diagnostic checked. All ok. They put a call into the local vauxhall dealer and they said it sounds like it's in limp mode. Def not that as if I change gear before 3500 rpm I can get upto 100 mph and more and limp mode restricts you to a certain speed as far as I'm aware.

I'm thinking it was the previous re map when dpf was removed. I plan to eventually get a new re map so when I get around to that when I save some pennies I will see if I still have the problem. For now though I can easily adjust my driving
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X