Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine stumble on acceleration

Hi again,

I have an insignia Sri 1.5t 2018 and in acceleration the car/engine feels like it's stumbling, I'll try and describe better if I can. When I was learning to drive many moons ago my instructor use to say to me have you put kangaroo juice in because the car you to lurch forwards and backwards the feeling is like that but not as sever and you can barely feel it but it is there just annoying.

It only seems to happend on acceleration and and about 20 to 40mph and feels a bit worse going uphill

No error messages or anything and when the car is on The motorway I think it disappears.

If anyone has any ideas from my vague description I would appreciate some feedback.

Thankyou

Hi,
    Could be anything, faulty actuator on the turbo maybe, vacuum leak, the list is endless.
    See your from Halifax like me, whereabouts ? I can plug it in if you want and see if we can find anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Seanio View Post
      Hi,
      Could be anything, faulty actuator on the turbo maybe, vacuum leak, the list is endless.
      See your from Halifax like me, whereabouts ? I can plug it in if you want and see if we can find anything.
      Hi,

I live in Elland so probably not to far away, and thankyou very very very much I really appreciate you offering to help and plug it in, I have had it in to Vauxhall several times they plug it in take it for a drive and say they can't find anything. I don't think it's hard to notice I starting to believe I'm imagining it now.

I'm starting believe the main dealer technicians plug it in and if the computer says it's fine that's it.

Thanks for responding and I really do appreciate you offering to help

Comment

Depends on what diagnostic tool Seanio has , as to wether it will be able to do live data readings .
        If the vauxhall main dealer is plugging it in and no faults stored then , it's not a fault per say , but a situation where this happens .
        I seem to remember there was a thread with someone having the same sort of issue on a GS
        But trying to find the thread is a mine field ..

.K.M.P.C.U
        YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

That's a point Lizzerd-t ,

got a couple but the Think diag is the newest, I don't know if it will read the new insignia.

Has anyone tried it on the new model.

Comment

Just found this

From what I've been told, around 2000-3000rpm the engine stumbles/stutters/misfires (pre-ignites) under high load/hard acceleration. It's a common problem with many direct injection engines, mostly due to trying to squeeze such high power out of such low displacement and the resulting high compression causing a very delicate/volatile mixture in the cylinders.
            Repeated 'misfires' and 'pre-ignitions' will eventually kill the engine.

Newer oils have been designed to reduce the pre-ignition but don't completely stop it. Earlier cars may not have the latest oil.

Driving style makes a big difference; if you rarely floor it you'll rarely notice a problem.
            If you use the gears rather than try for maximum in-gear acceleration in the 2000-3000rpm range that reduces the chance of problems.
            Automatic transmissions seem more resistant to LSPI because they will usually select a more appropriate gear than your average driver nowadays and under full throttle will kick down rather than lug the engine in a higher gear.

Also high octane fuel is more resistant to uncontrolled pre-ignition.

Comment

Interesting, suppose the question is can this problem be fixed ? Or is this just s design fault of the engine and I have to live with it.

From what the description you have quoted it's so true to my problem take it nice and easy it's fine but try and get away quickly and feeling racey that's when it does it.

Comment

That's a point Lizzerd-t ,

got a couple but the Think diag is the newest, I don't know if it will read the new insignia.

Has anyone tried it on the new model.
                ThinkDiag should it's the all singing all dancing dongle .
                Give it a go
                It will only do 1 of 2 things .

.K.M.P.C.U
                YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

See the above thread even though the op did not come back with an end to the issue as usual .
                  But see if his symptoms are like yours .
                  23-45 keep motivated

.K.M.P.C.U
                  YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Originally posted by lizzard-t View Post
                    https://insignia-drivers.uk/threads/...y-acceleration
                    See the above thread even though the op did not come back with an end to the issue as usual .
                    But see if his symptoms are like yours .
                    23-45 keep motivated
                    Yes the symptoms are nearly identical I have found turning the aircon of improves it a bit but doesn't cure it.
                    I spoke to a remapping company and they say a remap could work I'd rather not spend money on it especially when it's under warranty.

Comment

Just out of interest, what gear are you in when you get this problem? It sounds to me if you dropped a gear or two it may not stutter. Like seanio has said earlier. I would have thought with a petrol you need to be in 3rd or 4th at the most to accelerate smoothly from 20mph. With a diesel theres more low end torque so you can get away with a higher gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew View Post
                        Just out of interest, what gear are you in when you get this problem? It sounds to me if you dropped a gear or two it may not stutter. Like seanio has said earlier. I would have thought with a petrol you need to be in 3rd or 4th at the most to accelerate smoothly from 20mph. With a diesel theres more low end torque so you can get away with a higher gear.
                        If driven like a Sunday driver and not in a rush to get of the line then you wouldn't think anything was wrong, but if you try and get the car to stretch it's legs that's when it occurs and mainly in 3rd gear. I can be accelerating up a slip road and 40-50-60 and it will do it. If I take it easy up through the gears to the same speed it's fine.

Comment

Originally posted by pauliesco View Post
                          If driven like a Sunday driver and not in a rush to get of the line then you wouldn't think anything was wrong, but if you try and get the car to stretch it's legs that's when it occurs and mainly in 3rd gear. I can be accelerating up a slip road and 40-50-60 and it will do it. If I take it easy up through the gears to the same speed it's fine.
                          So definitely not labouring the engine then. I don't know what to suggest there. Sounds like a fuel/air mixture problem.

Comment

Just a thought, what Fuel are you using.

Comment

Just a thought, what Fuel are you using.
                              Texaco premium
                              Shell vpower
                              even put some redex in as well, to be fair it went better and further on Texaco premium than any other fuel I have tried.
                              It's back in at Vauxhall on Wednesday I'm might ask them if they will put and updated ECU map on, they'll probably say no but I have nothing to lose.

Comment

Working...
                              X