Gearbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox

StevieB11, on May 17 2012, 04:17 PM, said:I have a UK 59 plate Elite 1.8i VVT Petrol 6 speed manual. I am the second owner from new and have just put it into Vaxuhall to have a "whining" noise coming from the engine area investigated. The service center have just been off the phone, the car needs a new gearbox! Those are two words no car owner wants to hear EVER never mind at 23,500 miles! Naturally my first reaction was to go and empty my underwear, but luckily my warranty is still valid until November.

My question is, have any of you other Insignia owners had gearbox issues at such low mileage? Is this a common issue with Insignia's and/or vauxhall's in general! This has me seriously concerned, I am now considering getting rid of the car as soon as they have replaced the gearbox as next time I don't fancy paying for this myself...
    Never heard of it at low miles before! You should get 3 year warranty with the new gearbox so you would should still be covered if it goes again!

There is different type gearboxes in Insignia. Please tell us which type you have, M32, F40 ....

If you don't know gearbox type tell us is it diesel or petrol and how much hp. Is it ecoflex model or not...

Comment

Big B i200, on 28 September 2012 - 09:18 PM, said:
      Solenoid it is a 59 Plate 1.8 Exclusive Petrol, sorry dont know the Gearbox type or if its an Ecoflex or not.

It seems that you have M32-6 gearbox and "Mick In Wick", "StevieB11", "bicmac" have same box too.

Fritzwells2000 have different F40 box, but subversion is mystery.

Comment

bridgey, on 11 March 2014 - 04:54 PM, said:
        my 60 plate Insignia SRI is also making a whirring noise from about 10mph>

Sounds like it could be a box issue, too.

I bought this from Car Giant and took put their Guarantee... am hoping that it is covered, if it is serious!

If you know of a independent garage service that knows anything about gear boxes I would get a second opinion from them. I to had to get a new gear box and I hope you don't need one. But as said get a second opinion it might not be as bad as you think.

Comment

bridgey, on 11 March 2014 - 06:08 PM, said:

great minds.... i've arranged to pop into a local garage on the way home tonight.... fingers crossed it's something simple (and cheap)

Hope it is a cheep fix. Good luck.

Comment

bridgey, on 13 March 2014 - 12:56 PM, said:

So i took it in the other day.??The mechanic seems to think that it is NOT a gearbox issue, rather that it is probably a wheel bearing.

we went for a little drive, and I was made to coast in gear, out of gear, high revs, low revs, slow and fast, and all the while the humming/whirring was constant... which to him he said suggested it wasnt gearbox... as it was the same, regardless of what we were trying.

He's having it up on the blocks next thursday to test it all out....so will know more then

That's good news its not the gear box. Much more cheaper for a wheel bearing.

Comment

If your gear box is knackerd bridgey then you should log a complant with VX about the low mileage of the gear box as this sounds like the same problem I had. I was some what luck as I had a good sales manager at the Arnold Clark branch and he help me a lot. But at the end of the day the gear box should not be on its way out in that amount of miles and VX know that so if your gear box is knackerd it time to get on to your sale manager from who you bought the car from and get him to plead your case to VX for a new box. Have a read of my thread this is what it cost me.

http://www.insignia-...wtopic=8839&hl=

Comment

I got mine second hand to from Arnold Clark and had no warranty on the car left. So I would give it a try with VX direct if your having no joy with car giant. It's worth a try.

Comment

Found loads of threads on the M32 Gearbox worth reading

http://cardealermaga...peed-gearboxes/

http://www.vauxhallo...equired.339803/

http://www.vxronline...-is-there-a-mod

M32 Repair

http://www.vxronline...builds-Upgrades

Comment

Swinton, on 16 December 2014 - 12:44 PM, said:
                    How do you??tell which gearbox you have fitted .mine is a 09 (160) estate diesel with 46000 miles

F40 or AF40 if it's an automatic

Comment

F40 is near enough bulletproof. I had this gearbox in my vectra c. Even at 120k miles still going strong.

Comment

Codfish, on 17 December 2014 - 12:00 AM, said:
                        Is the 140ps Ecoflex also the F40 or the M32?

Think there is a sticker on the side of your engine that tells you what gearbox it is.

Comment

bridgey, on 16 December 2014 - 11:48 AM, said:
                          I (still) dont know what the issue is with my whining/whirring gearbox.

Either way, the noise is loud enough that I could hear it when I was driving next to the car (in another car) on the motorway, with the windows closed.

Try this first.

There are a number of early signs you can look for:When lifting the clutch in 1st gear while holding onto the gear stick, it will move backwards by sometimes 10-20mm
                          When driving in 5th or 6th the gear stick will move backwards and forwards as you come on and off the throttle.
                          Whining noises can be heard while in 1st, 2nd, 5th or 6th gear. Sometimes it is more audible in certain gears than others.

Comment

wildfruit, on 16 December 2014 - 01:47 PM, said:
                            I have a 62 plate 1.8 with 40k on clock now. Touch wood no signs of gearbox wear. I always try and keep it away from max torque @3800rpm (even if it is only 175nm!) and likewise try not to labour in 6th at low speeds.wether this has any beneficial effect I don't know.

Are there enough power before that region? So what revs do you usually change at?

Only time i go to 6th is when doing 60mph and revs > 2000rpm.

Comment

wildfruit, on 18 December 2014 - 03:44 PM, said:
                              There's never enough power! I usually change around 2-2.5k. Really the base engine could have done with being a nice 2.2 or something but hey ho.

I normally change at 3000rpm on low speed/gears. I am waiting till my car is out of warranty then bring on the remap

Comment

Working...
                              X