Hey everyone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey everyone

Hi everyone, been looking on this site for a while and the help has been huge with issues I've faced after buying my first insignia. I was looking for a bit of advice on timing belt. I have attached two pictures of the timing belt and was wondering what you guys think to the belt.
    I bought the insignia sports tourer CDTI SRI 160hp 2.0 second hand and the guy told me he had put a new timing belt on before sale. Knowing this person I'm not sure if he means brand new or from a breaker car. This would have been put on around 6 - 9 months ago if it is 'new'
    I had a look and can see what looks like cracks between the teeth hut the writing is still very visible and hardly worn. Just wondering if this is typical for a belt of around 10,000 miles since been put on? Or do you think its pretty worn and needs replacing ASAP?
    Thanks in advance, if you need clearer pictures I can post some tomorrow.

Cheers

Originally posted by Stu2020 View Post
    Hi everyone, been looking on this site for a while and the help has been huge with issues I've faced after buying my first insignia. I was looking for a bit of advice on timing belt. I have attached two pictures of the timing belt and was wondering what you guys think to the belt.
    I bought the insignia sports tourer CDTI SRI 160hp 2.0 second hand and the guy told me he had put a new timing belt on before sale. Knowing this person I'm not sure if he means brand new or from a breaker car. This would have been put on around 6 - 9 months ago if it is 'new'
    I had a look and can see what looks like cracks between the teeth hut the writing is still very visible and hardly worn. Just wondering if this is typical for a belt of around 10,000 miles since been put on? Or do you think its pretty worn and needs replacing ASAP?
    Thanks in advance, if you need clearer pictures I can post some tomorrow.

Cheers
    I've moved this to the relevant section.
    the new members section is to introduce yourself and a few pics of your car.....not for going straight into problems.

Can you now go back into the new members section and introduce yourself properly

Comment

Yeeeeehaaaaaaa Stu2020 .
      if in doubt change it
      if you don't believe a word that person says then for the cost of £300 Is better than £1000+ or knackered engine.
      peace of mind makes you sleep well at night .

19-4 keep on trucking!
      Last edited by lizzard-t; 20-09-2020, 06:13 PM. Reason: waffke

.K.M.P.C.U
      YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Originally posted by RBH View Post

I've moved this to the relevant section.
        the new members section is to introduce yourself and a few pics of your car.....not for going straight into problems.

Can you now go back into the new members section and introduce yourself properly
        Sorry RBH, made an introduction in new members

Comment

Sorry RBH, made an introduction in new members
          It's cool mate.
          keeps it all tidy

Comment

Just had another look at pictures
            picture number 2 if you look down the cambelt goes round the tensioner
            the tensioner SHOULD be replaced when doing the belt
            tensioner looks old .
            also as long as he's not from the Planet ZibberZibber
            putting a "used " cambelt on from a broken car is like Wrong in so many ways
            the belt itself is about £25.00 brand new
            and with all the hassle of putting a used belt on which is stressed and worn
            I don't think even he would of done that .
            belive me there are unscrupulous people everywhere!

12-34 rubber belt !

.K.M.P.C.U
            YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Originally posted by lizzard-t View Post
              Just had another look at pictures
              picture number 2 if you look down the cambelt goes round the tensioner
              the tensioner SHOULD be replaced when doing the belt
              tensioner looks old .
              also as long as he's not from the Planet ZibberZibber
              putting a "used " cambelt on from a broken car is like Wrong in so many ways
              the belt itself is about £25.00 brand new
              and with all the hassle of putting a used belt on which is stressed and worn
              I don't think even he would of done that .
              belive me there are unscrupulous people everywhere!

12-34 rubber belt !
              Thanks for the advice, that's what I was thinking and I didn't think the tensioner had being changed.
              TBH I've messaged a few garages around my area and a few out of town and the best at the minute is £350.54 for cambelt change and water pump together. Partner said she will help me out next week with a bit of money to get it changed.
              It's been playing on my mind since I took the photos a few days ago and I need to still use the car for work up until next week when I can get booked in so just crossing everything I can and hoping it lasts out until I get it all changed.
              At least then I can sleep easy and start enjoying the driving!

Comment

One other point.......has the oil pick up seal been replaced???

Comment

I've never heard of it so I'm presuming it hasn't Is this another big job? Haven't had any warning signs etc as of yet on dash. I am getting the service vehicle soon message but no other errors, had it plugged in twice with home kits and no codes so I'm thinking after reading on here it could be glow plug issue. The glowplugs were going to be the next job on my list but depends whether this oil pick up seal needs to take priority! Going to get it properly diagnosed at the garage end of next month because funds are short especially now with the belt change

Comment

I've never heard of it so I'm presuming it hasn't Is this another big job? Haven't had any warning signs etc as of yet on dash. I am getting the service vehicle soon message but no other errors, had it plugged in twice with home kits and no codes so I'm thinking after reading on here it could be glow plug issue. The glowplugs were going to be the next job on my list but depends whether this oil pick up seal needs to take priority! Going to get it properly diagnosed at the garage end of next month because funds are short especially now with the belt change
                    If the oil pick up seal decides it's had enough then it's a new engine.
                    you'll get a warning sign on the dash saying LOW OIL PRESSURE.
                    Most members get the seal changed as a precautionary before the warning comes up

It's a relatively big job.

Comment

Frank at MB motors in Keighley is an expert on this repair......it's around £200 to be done.
                      he can do it in a few hours.

Comment

Originally posted by RBH View Post
                        Frank at MB motors in Keighley is an expert on this repair......it's around £200 to be done.
                        he can do it in a few hours.
                        Thanks RBH, will look into this in the next few months. That town is about 2 hours away from me but I'd rather travel and have it done by someone who knows exactly what they are doing tbh. Thanks for the advice, I would never have known about it unless you said. Learn something new everyday.

Comment

Thanks RBH, will look into this in the next few months. That town is about 2 hours away from me but I'd rather travel and have it done by someone who knows exactly what they are doing tbh. Thanks for the advice, I would never have known about it unless you said. Learn something new everyday.
                          No worries pal......there's plenty of help and advice on here.

Comment

All booked in Thursday for cambelt, water pump and drive belt change £380 and can pay 4 monthly installments so that's the worry about money off my mind.
                            Contacted MB autos in Keighley for a quote so if its 200 ish that will be done by end of next month and then just got to find out cost for glowplugs. My reg is showing sensor and no sensor on vauxhall parts when I rang so he suspects it might have 2 of each. Anyone come across this before?
                            Once that's done by Christmas hopefully that's all the big jobs done for quite a while! Please don't tell me there are any more :')

Comment

Nice one....it'll be like a new car when its finished.

Comment

Working...
                              X