Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 x Glow Plug Error Codes...

Hi everyone,

Hope everyone is having a great week so far.

I've got the following codes - which Lizzard-T has also explained on another post about my lights.

These are the remaining ones:

P0671 + P0672 + P0673 + P0674 = Cylinder 1/2/3/4 Glow Plug Circuit

U1511 + U1521 = LIN Bus 1/2 Lost Comms with Device 1 - I'm just assuming for now these are relating to the cheap ballasts in at the moment, rather than an AFL sensor that may not be working...

U0078 = Control Modd Comm Low Speed CAN Bus Off - I'm not sure what this code actually means, but Lizzard-T already suggested checking the wiring harness on the throttle body (not sure where that is, research time) and to remove the induction hose (not sure where or what one that is, at the moment, unless it was the turbo charger intake hose that is known to split, accessible via the fog light etc.) from the throttle body and cleaning if contaminated. What actually is this code though?

U0121 = Lost Comms with Electronic Brake Control Module - Which again Lizzard-T mentioned this is to do with the ABS and maybe voltage spikes? Not sure if/what to do to fix though, but doesn't seem too serious

They are all permanent codes besides the last one - U0121, so maybe it is just spikes.

Now, onto my main question...

What should I check/test to see if they are actually faulty or if it's something else?

I've searched the forum, seen some similar issues, but not yet one with all 4 codes at the same time.

I'm not sure that ALL 4 would have an issue or go at the same time... equally, they well could have. My car seems to start fine. It was slow to start once on a rather cold day but still started first time. I did see that little spiral sign come on briefly the other day, which I think is the heating process for the plugs, though think that's supposed to happen... no check engine light yet. Is there something that controls ALL the plugs? Or maybe something that would affect all 4 at the same time perhaps?

I did take out that turbo boost pipe, as it was filthy on the outside from the top down and seemed to be getting worse from when I last checked it, however, there was NO split... so wasn't sure what it was. It did seem to be getting dirtier from the connection at the top... maybe the o-ring failed and some oil and dirt was leaking? Anyway, I cleaned it, checked the ring, and put it back to see if it repeated... still clean so far but only did it Sunday, so will keep an eye on it, seems maybe only have to get a new o-ring if so. However, could this link to the Glow Plugs at all? Maybe that could have caused dirty plugs? Are they cleanable if so?

I thought, worth a shot asking and trying before forking out on 4 BERU Sensor Type Glow Plugs - as these are, unfortunately, the pricier ones haha

I would say something's wrong with your CAN bus. Either a short circuit, a device that's broken or a broken wire. But you could try to remove the cheap ballast first if you suspect that one.

Comment

about the U1511 and U1521 , here is a link related to diagnose it yourself : https://www.engine-codes.com/u1521.html , just replace 1521 with 1511 and you will get the other side.
      U0078 : https://www.autocodes.com/u0078.html
      U0121 : https://www.autocodes.com/u0121.html
      glowplugs : https://www.autocodes.com/p0671.html, same text on all 4 codes
      Are you sure all your glowplugs are sensor types, normally, to what I have read and found out here, they normally sit in pairs, like : 1+3 and 2+4

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnydk View Post
        about the U1511 and U1521 , here is a link related to diagnose it yourself : https://www.engine-codes.com/u1521.html , just replace 1521 with 1511 and you will get the other side.
        U0078 : https://www.autocodes.com/u0078.html
        U0121 : https://www.autocodes.com/u0121.html
        glowplugs : https://www.autocodes.com/p0671.html, same text on all 4 codes
        Are you sure all your glowplugs are sensor types, normaolly, to what I have read and found out here, they normally sit in pairs, like : 1+3 and 1+4
        Thanks for that and thanks Ernst, guess I'll have to at somepoint get an OEM Ballast and try see if that remedies one side at least then get the other one.

The code checker is useful, I was popping them into Google and having different variations come up. A lot of them seem to suggest a short or electrical issue, so not sure if linked from the history of the lights being water damaged and causing issues down the line, potentially more fuses, but not sure if the CAN Bus or the ABS have dedicated fuses and where they are, will have to look.

I think all the glow plugs are sensor type, all 4 seem to have the chunky top, will remove and have a look, just to be sure. I take it you have to replace like for like or it will screw with the car somehow. All 4 have gone, but wondering if there's potentially another cable issue or a relay that could be worth checking? I might check the resistance on each plug (read some people do this) and see what the ends look like. But yeah, I was hoping maybe pairing.

Could someone install 4 pressure ones when actually not required though?

Comment

My car certainly has all 4 pressure sensor glow plugs. Seems a lottery what is fitted.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudster View Post
            My car certainly has all 4 pressure sensor glow plugs. Seems a lottery what is fitted.
            Yes, it seems to be a lottery, so some get half expencive shift, while others get the full Monty

Comment

Originally posted by Samuro View Post

Thanks for that and thanks Ernst, guess I'll have to at somepoint get an OEM Ballast and try see if that remedies one side at least then get the other one.

The code checker is useful, I was popping them into Google and having different variations come up. A lot of them seem to suggest a short or electrical issue, so not sure if linked from the history of the lights being water damaged and causing issues down the line, potentially more fuses, but not sure if the CAN Bus or the ABS have dedicated fuses and where they are, will have to look.

I think all the glow plugs are sensor type, all 4 seem to have the chunky top, will remove and have a look, just to be sure. I take it you have to replace like for like or it will screw with the car somehow. All 4 have gone, but wondering if there's potentially another cable issue or a relay that could be worth checking? I might check the resistance on each plug (read some people do this) and see what the ends look like. But yeah, I was hoping maybe pairing.

Could someone install 4 pressure ones when actually not required though?
              Maybe you should contact vauxhall, to find out, what your engine, was borned with, might be possible they know.
              If you try to take them out, yourself, be very careful, they snap easily, use a torque wrench at 8 to 10 Newton and alot of DW40.
              If they are like burned charcoal on the tip, they are done for, that's what I have been told.
              The headlight , you can try one that is working order, as you suggest yourself, if you do that, install it, then clear the code for it , then scan it again, renember the lights have to bee turned on, if the code don't come up, then you know, what the fault is on both headlamps, if not you have to check plugs and wires, if they are fine, then my guess is, you have to dig deeper and that is where my knowledge ends.
              That is more or less what is can suggest you, with the knowledge I have.
              The U0078 and U0121, I don't have enough knowledge, to suggest you any solution for.

Comment

Thanks for the help!

Well I hope the Sensor Types are worth it... wish I could just replace with standards haha

Maybe contacting Vauxhall direct will help, but won't keep my hopes up. I need to get a torque wrench, normally I am just careful with what I got, but maybe it's time to get one, as want to have a look at them tomorrow... well technically later today. Spark plugs were never too bad, but these seem long, thin and fragile :\

If they are carboned up, is there no way of cleaning them? If not guess looking for new ones. Is it the same message that comes up then for glow plugs if they are carboned up and if they have a power issue?

Anyone know where the glow plug relay is? I think it's in the front somewhere, not sure what it looks like, as be good to test the wires maybe. Wouldn't want to replace them ALL and still have a circuit issue.

Either way, will have a look at them as need the right part code as seen different glow plugs online

Comment

You can change the glow plugs but you then need to change looms, plugs and then get a software update....which then costs more than the sensor glow plugs.

But cheaper if you ever need glow plugs in the future.

Some of the plugs on the looms are 3 pins and some are 2 pins, so you need to source the correct loom/plugs for your car.

More hassle than it's worth tbh.

Comment

To rest wiring and also to see if relay is firing
                    remove wiring plug from glow plug
                    get a rest light ( that's better for conformation of fault )
                    put one end on negative post on battery put other end on glow plug wiring plug
                    Turn ignition and test light should glow for a few seconds then go out ( proves wiring is OK) test other 3 glow plug wiring plugs the same way .)
                    to test glow plugs themselves
                    put test light on positive terminal of battery
                    Put other end on the tip of the glow plug if it lights then you have a closed electrical circuit
                    If it dose not then its goonered
                    Or if you have a multimeter
                    Set meter to ohms
                    Earth out one lead on good earthing point
                    Other end on tip of glow plug
                    If you get open line ( OL) reading then the plug is goonered
                    if you get about 16 kilohms then the plug is good and happy

If all 4 are goonered , then may I suggest doing my old trick of swinging your handbag on a street corner , I got propersitioned by 3 sailers called " fredrick, johan and " mad dog hanz "
                    paid for my glow plugs plus a bit of cash to spare for a roll of toilet paper , and a rest down at the local sexual desieses center , where the results came back clear !

122111222-11222222111 yooohooohoooo and a bottle of fish fingers!

.K.M.P.C.U
                    YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

I bought a circuit test - this one from Halfords as it was cheap and needed some screenwash so thought why not - https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-...lt-708434.html

Though may go back and get this one instead - https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-...er-926782.html

As it's thinner overall. I took the connects of the glow plugs and popped the clip on the negative and popped the sharp end into the connector where there's a pin, so made contact with that on all 4... no light. Then switched to positive, and tried putting the sharp end into the glow plug, it wouldn't go all the way to the bottom where I assume the connector's pin makes contact, but the metal rim of course it made contact with, and no light on all 4. However, I was messing around and the connectors on the outside (so the middle has like a circle with metal connectors on the outside, then a pin on the inside at the bottom), basically metal contacts, they did light up, but when on the positive of the battery. Maybe the tester isn't the best though, so hence why may change it, as not sure which parts NEED to have a good contact or if that was sufficient enough.

I took the plugs out, I would upload a pic, but on the PC so will do so later if need be, but the ends were pretty black, tried cleaning them, but doubt make any difference at this point. Put it all back together, and that's where I am kind of at.

I did notice when revving, I'm starting to get a random misfire.

I tried new scan (but forgot to reset so will do that again in a sec) and have a few different codes (though the light ones seem to have gone...

E144 - *new* Unknown
                      P0383 - *new* Glow Plug Module Control Circuit (Intermittent)
                      P0671/2/3/4 - As before, each Glow Plug Circuit

U0073 - *new* control mod comm bus A off (malfunction, intermittent)
                      U0100 - *new* Engine control unit, comms faulty (malfunction, intermittent)
                      U0140 - *new* Lost comm with body control mod (malfunction, intermittent)

I did spray some elec contact spray cleaner as some parts were dirty, maybe I made it worse, as thinking back, the ignition should be off and now I can't remember if I did it while it was on, straight testing the plugs and stuff... DOH! Idioto.

At the moment, I am thinking I need 4 new plugs GM 55579436 and maybe a new control unit, however, mine has a metal casing, the number on that is 55574293 - are they supposed to match or it not matter? As I think the ACTUAL unit is within the metal shielding, not 100% sure though. Will play again in a bit I guess.

Car still starts as fine as I'd expect, and no actual engine light is on.

Comment

I would first fix the communication errors before replacing the plugs. You could disconnect the glow plug control unit and see if the communication errors disappeare. If that's the case the module might be defect.

Comment

Try disconnecting the battery for half an hour then re-connect .run a scan then delete codes ,and proceed from there.
                          But you don't want to start replacing parts without a 100% conformation .
                          To have 4 glow plugs go at once is not unknown ,but if your car is starting ok then I don't think the glow plugs are at fault .
                          Maybe the control module is not heating them for long enough .

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

.K.M.P.C.U
                          YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Thanks again for the help/suggestions so far guys.

1st things first - mostly to double check, this is the glow plug control unit?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220116_134606.jpg
Views:	1416
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	320058
                            If so, I did unplug it and then start the car, and it seemed to be running smooth, I checked codes, and there were more - which I forgot to save the report

I then popped it back in, left it for a while and came back. Erased the codes with just ignition on and ran a quick test:

1 Code - U0078 (Malfunction, Permanent)

I then started the car and ran another test:

5 Codes - U0078 (Malfunction, Permanent), P0671/2/3/4 (Permanent)

I then went for a drive, popped to the shop, then when got home, ran another test while the car was still running (left the laptop in the car):

8 Codes - U0078 (Malfunction, Permanent), U0121 (Malfunction, Intermittent), U1511/21 (Malfunction, Permanent), P0671/2/3/4 (Intermittent)

I also stupidly thought, of course the U1511/21 codes didn't show, as it was daylight and they didn't come on, so they showed when it got darker of course haha.

The Glow Plug codes are still there, but changed from permanent to intermittent, not sure that means anything.

I'll do as you've said Lizard and disconnect the battery now and leave for 30 mins or so. Then run a scan, then delete them, then I guess scan again and go for a drive to see if it pops back?

I've seen some control units, providing it's the picture above, for about £20-30... then worst comes to it, I've seen a guy selling 4 Beru 55579436 Glow Plugs for £180 - but as you say, won't throw the dosh at it yet, until certain.

Comment

U0078 possible causes could be an air leak from the exhaust system before the DPF causing a different sensor reading from the differential pressure sensor.
                              the exhaust leak maybe minor and undetectable, but that could throw the sensor reading out of its parameters.
                              U0121 lost communication with ABS Control Module VIA the can bus lines either high or low side , that would require a auto electrician to diagnose as that's a complete, ball bearings Batman ache. And if not knowing how to diagnose can be detrimental.
                              the glow plug error going from permanent to intermittent, to me shows it is more likely to be the control module
                              That photo is of the control module.
                              To be fair any diagnostic test should only be carried out with the ignition on, not with the engine running. Not unless carrying out live data , and the diagnostic equipment informs you to start the car , or else erratic codes can be produced.
                              ☆☆☆☆ Also as a disclaimer, 90% of us on here are not trained mechanics nor auto electricians , we are just mere people, who have a wealth of experience gained by either working on our own cars and fault finding or have like me worked in a garage environment in the past , I myself am a qualified gas engineer.
                              so in the end all information we supply or suggest is just that , we can only suggest, and like most complex things thease days , there's potentially more than one answer or problem. Diagnostic tools only provide you with the component that's in trouble, it doesn't tell you, if its a component failure or wiring problem.,
                              in that respect we do our upmost to help, but we do get it wrong as well. ☆☆☆☆☆☆

.K.M.P.C.U
                              YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Working...
                              X