Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A20dth a20dte 17d11188lhv

Hi All
    I recently brought a 20ltr diesel with 71,000 on clock full history, can belt etc been changed, lovely to drive. However since I brought it just about everyone I speak to tells me the oil seal in the sump is about to fail and lunch the engine. Is this correct, I believe the sump can be dropped and the seal changed. My local garage won't do it, Vauxhall in Peterborough can't identify the part required and as such unable to do it, also the service manager has never heard of this failure.
    Apart from confirming my fears does anyone know a garage near me who could do the work please
    Thanks
    Keith

The seal is the Achilles heel in these engines
    you may get a message telling you of low oil pressure but most people replace it before getting the message

You'll get most small garages not doing the job simply because they can't do it.

The sump needs removed but it's not as hard a job as some make out.

As for Vauxhall unable to identify the the part - they are talking shite as its a known fault and they sell loads of these.

They just don't wanna do the job....simply as that.

Comment

Originally posted by RBH View Post
      The seal is the Achilles heel in these engines
      you may get a message telling you of low oil pressure but most people replace it before getting the message

You'll get most small garages not doing the job simply because they can't do it.

The sump needs removed but it's not as hard a job as some make out.

As for Vauxhall unable to identify the the part - they are talking shite as its a known fault and they sell loads of these.

They just don't wanna do the job....simply as that.
      Thank you, I have not had the low oil pressure warning but I did notice when I turn ignition on the oil lamp lights up, then goes out before I start the engine, I would of thought it would stay in until the engine has started then go out as it starts, so I am wondering if someone has budged something. But if a worry.

Comment

The oil light is normal mate.

Comment

Well the third Vauxhall garage admitted the issues after some badgering, even quoted a fair price to do the seal £1,325.00 plus vat, if the oil pump is worn another bunch of money on top. Think I might just sell it.

Comment

Why sell it if you don't even have the problem yet? Mines never developed the issue, just like two other ones in the family. The third one did had the issue, so not all have the issue.

Comment

As Ernst says why sell it ? And also he has never had the issue.
              as rbh says, the oil light is supposed to go out as the engine is cranking , because the oil pump will build pressure quickly, to avoid damage to the engine.engine light was to stay until the engine had started , then that would be a sign of either a worn oil pump or low oil . And that would cause catastrophic engine damage.
              theres a lot of people out there that will scare the heebie jeedies out of people because they have heard of an issue. Does not mean its going to affect every car and considering how many of these insignias there are , it probably works out at 0.1% it affects. There's a lot of manufacturers with bigger problems, BMW for 1 with the diesel timing chains, and the N55 with crank bearings .
              No vauxhall dealer in there right mind would admit that there is an issue, because that would be holding the manufacturer accountable for the issue.
              there is a chap and he is well thaught of , that can do the job for a lot less than the quote you have had .
              Click on the link below.
              ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​https://insignia-drivers.uk/forum/tr...otors-keighley

.K.M.P.C.U
              YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Hi Both, well to sell it as a good runner it's worth more than a none runner, the oil pressure light goes out before I even crank the engine? Turn ignition on all light up, needles sweep, wait a few seconds then some lights go out including the oil light, then crank the engine over, only noticed this the other day as I didn't go straight to ignition on and start. Thanks for the link. I think I would prefer pre-emptive repair rather than failure on the road, I only have the car to tow our caravan.

Comment

I only paid £405 labour and that was to fit new clutch, DMF and oil seal. Had the seal done as a precaution at 105k because he had the gearbox split and was easy to drop the sump.

Comment

£1325+VAT does not seem like a fair price for the oil seal!!
                    I paid about £330 (inc VAT) last year to get mine done for reference.

Comment

Vauxhall were saying the driveshaft, gearbox and exhaust have to come off and it is a ten hour job, I can't find someone in Peterborough area to do the job but believe I have one in Yorkshire who can. 5 garages have refused to do it, two Vauxhall dealers deny the seal even exists, laughable really. If I had a proper car lift I would do it myself.

Comment

The thing is Vauxhall talk out. There bottoms and it smells the same .
                        you can do the seal just by moving the gearbox back a couple of inches , the seal dose exsist and the possible problems .just type in " insignia pick up seal " do the same on our super duper search system .
                        theres a YouTube video of someone who did it with a pair of axel stands and some food from the Tesco bakery section ..on the side of a road .
                        no car manufacturer will admit a fault that could lead to engine failure , or else everyone would be hiring Amber Heards lawyer .

1122222-2332 not guilty

.K.M.P.C.U
                        YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Maybe try the garage I use in Cambridge. He will probs keep the car for a couple days and do it in between jobs. Like I said £405 I paid labour for DMF, clutch and pick up seal.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonsFinest009 View Post
                            Maybe try the garage I use in Cambridge. He will probs keep the car for a couple days and do it in between jobs. Like I said £405 I paid labour for DMF, clutch and pick up seal.
                            Who is it you used in Cambridge please

Comment

Originally posted by Keith123 View Post

Who is it you used in Cambridge please
                              M&S autos in fulbourn

Comment

Working...
                              X