Driveshaft change parts or change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driveshaft change parts or change

Does the whole driveshaft need to be changed or can they have parts changed and if so is there a guide on how to do this please?

Originally posted by Will1976 View Post
    Does the whole driveshaft need to be changed or can they have parts changed and if so is there a guide on how to do this please?
    Think the whole thing needs done mate, well whichever side it is. Not sure if there's a how to but I got garage to do mine last year.

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Comment

Ive had quite a bit of experiance with driveshafts recently

You can change the joints but the inner joints sem tobe hard to get hold of and Vauxhall want £560 for 1 inner joint. The outer joints are easier to get hold of.

Now this is where it gets a bit complicated......

If its the drivers side then its a bit more than just pulling the shaft out. The drivers side has an intermediate shaft which the driveshafts fits into, these are bonded in with some sort of super human super glue which is a pain to seperate. You will probably destroy the inner joint anyway beating the granny out of it to get the main driveshaft and intermediate to come apart. Once you have done that you may as well change the intermediate shaft bearing too.

Here is a how i did it

*******Drivers side removal*********

1-Take off wheel
      2-Drain gear box oil
      3-Undo the top nut on the drop link
      4-Undo the 2 suspension strut bolts to swivel hub
      5-Undo the hub nut ( leave the nut on a few turns )
      6-Tap the driveshaft nut to free it from the hub
      7-Pull the top of the hub towards you which will allow anough room to push the inner joint away and free from the hub. SUPPORT THE BRAKE CALIPER!!
      8-If its the drivers side you will need to undo the 3 intermediate bearing carrier bolts and then pull the whole lot out
      9-Seperate the drivshaft from the intermediate shaft

********Passenger side removal*********

Follow steps 1-7 and then pull it out of the gear box

*********** Refitting**********

As per haynes style fitting is the reverse of the removal but bare in mind that if its the drivers side you will need to bond the shaft into the intermediate shaft, Vauxhall say to use their stuff but its expensive and i couldnt get any anyway so i used Loctite 262 which is the same. you need to allow 12 hours for it to dry before you used the car so it has time to set. Some have said theirs wasnt bonded together and at first i didnt bother but i was getting lots of juddering and skipping when pulling away where the splines were loose in the intermediate shaft so i took it apart and glued it. I also changed the bearing in the intermediate too as it was a bit gritty. Could do driveshaft oil seal while everything is out

Dont forget to re fill the gear box oil, you dont have to take the battery box out but instead just unclip the ECU and move it to the side and you will see the refill plug. I used a bit of tubing on a funnel to fill it up.

Ive done this 6 times now so if you have any questions then feel free to ask

Hope this helps a bit

Comment

Originally posted by justin43 View Post

You can change the joints but the inner joints sem tobe hard to get hold of and Vauxhall want £560 for 1 inner joint. The outer joints are easier to get hold of.

If its the drivers side then its a bit more than just pulling the shaft out. The drivers side has an intermediate shaft which the driveshafts fits into, these are bonded in with some sort of super human super glue which is a pain to seperate. You will probably destroy the inner joint anyway beating the granny out of it to get the main driveshaft and intermediate to come apart. Once you have done that you may as well change the intermediate shaft bearing too.

Here is a how i did it

1-Take off wheel
        2-Drain gear box oil
        7-Pull the top of the hub towards you which will allow anough room to push the inner joint away and free from the hub. SUPPORT THE BRAKE CALIPER!!
        8-If its the drivers side you will need to undo the 3 intermediate bearing carrier bolts and then pull the whole lot out

As per haynes style fitting is the reverse of the removal but bare in mind that if its the drivers side you will need to bond the shaft into the intermediate shaft, Vauxhall say to use their stuff but its expensive and i couldnt get any anyway so i used Loctite 262 which is the same. you need to allow 12 hours for it to dry before you used the car so it has time to set. Some have said theirs wasnt bonded together and at first i didnt bother but i was getting lots of juddering and skipping when pulling away where the splines were loose in the intermediate shaft so i took it apart and glued it. I also changed the bearing in the intermediate too as it was a bit gritty. Could do driveshaft oil seal while everything is out

Dont forget to re fill the gear box oil, you dont have to take the battery box out but instead just unclip the ECU and move it to the side and you will see the refill plug. I used a bit of tubing on a funnel to fill it up.

Hope this helps a bit
        Thanks that's a job for a nice weekend.

Comment

Thanks that's a job for a nice weekend.
          Its not that bad of a job at all.

A decent impact gun will make the job a lot quicker

Comment

Its not that bad of a job at all.

A decent impact gun will make the job a lot quicker
            I am doing the passenger side this weekend along with the bearing hub and shock and once I have done this which will hopefully be successful I will try the drivers side with the oil pump and seal.

The vibration has got worse recently so hopefully this will solve it.

Comment

Here is a how i did it

1-Take off wheel
              2-Drain gear box oil

Hope this helps a bit
              Hi

I have removed everything but struggling to separate the driveshaft from the intermediate do you have any advice please.

Comment

Hi

I have removed everything but struggling to separate the driveshaft from the intermediate do you have any advice please.
                its bonded in with adhesive that is like concrete. Heating it up will help or maybe soaking it in something to break it up but normaly just beating the heck out of it will get them apart.

Comment

I have got it back together but there isn't any drive and sounds like something isn't engaging does anyone know what it may be please.

Comment

Need to get one for mine (Drivers side). As mentioned VX want £600!!

are the ones from EBay any good, or is there a better place to get these from?

thanks in advance

Ash

Comment

DO NOT BUY J & R products.

Absolutely shite.

Comment

I have got it back together but there isn't any drive and sounds like something isn't engaging does anyone know what it may be please.
                        Lift the car on axel stands and check the N/S Drive shaft .make sure it's fully home and engaged in the gearbox output shaft.

Sent from my Nokia G11 using Tapatalk

.K.M.P.C.U
                        YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

The passenger side driveshaft I replaced has come loose and I have knocked it back into the gearbox but how does this stay secured?

Comment

There's a type of 'C' clip in a groove that will locate it in the final drive.
                            Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
                            Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Just had my Drivers Side Driveshaft replaced.
                              After hitting a pothole really hard (and driving quite quickly) I have had a weird Metallic 'tick' noise whenever going forward or backward from a stand still.
                              We first thought it was from the Brakes, but no, then worryingly thought it could be the Shock, again no.
                              Took it to a 2nd Mechanic, who was 99% convinced it was the Driveshaft, and after having that replaced yesterday I am glad to say the problem has gone.
                              Sourced a Reconditioned one with a years warranty for £150, and Mechanic said it was a doddle to fit.

Comment

Working...
                              X