Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAF sensor at idle reading

Hey guys
    does anybody know the desired MAF sensor readings on idle for a 2011 2.0l 160?

Mine is reading between 5 and 6 g/s on idle which I think I remember reading is too low, it should be 10+

Thanks

Think mine reads 13g’s per second.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonsFinest009 View Post
      Think mine reads 13g’s per second.
      I did a reading the other day at mine was around your figure too but today the car felt a bit lumpy and had a lot more vibration in the cabin and saw these readings
      Attached Files

Comment

Looking again and my engine load seems to be high. I took a reading back last year and the load was only 18% at idle?

Could it be down to the famous split intercooler pipe? i did spray it with brake cleaner but didnt hear the engine note change at all

Comment

Theres not enough air being metered , it should be about 13 and you are showing 6 so it would not be a boost leak ,
          whats the barometric pressure it should be about 101.325 kpa at sea level .

.K.M.P.C.U
          YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

The barometer pressure is a constant 100 kpa
            this morning the car is like a kangaroo in 1st gear if I ease off the Gass. Still no fault codes though

Comment

Take the barometric pressure at the MAP rev the car then turn the car off with ignition on and that will give you the barometric pressure.
              I think you may have a faulty MAF sensor, don't know it seems to be leaning towards that myself.

.K.M.P.C.U
              YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Just double checked mine, pushing 14g/s

Comment

Originally posted by lizzard-t View Post
                  Take the barometric pressure at the MAP rev the car then turn the car off with ignition on and that will give you the barometric pressure.
                  I think you may have a faulty MAF sensor, don't know it seems to be leaning towards that myself.
                  sorry for the delay, had a mare of a day and didnt get a chance to get the car hooked up to the laptop. I tried what you suggested about but i wasnt sure if i did it right. The barometer pressure stayed at 100.

The strange thing is that the car gets worse the higher the ambient temp is so would this point to MAF sensor or is there any chance it could be something else?

Thanks

Comment

The barometric pressure should be 101.325 , it's probably that opcom cannot show the value .
                    ive known a faulty MAF cause this sort of issue , basically because it measures the air mass , if there is a higher air temperature then the air mass is lower , the MAF will accommodate the variations in air mass as air temperature falls or rises , and in most countries and altitudes it works perfectly, bar extreme temperatures or altitudes.but once it starts to measure air mass outside its range ( i.e. To lower mass of air ) then it cannot sense correctly.
                    had one or 2 like that on another forum.
                    the MAP senses the pressure of the air incoming and can adjust boost to suite the air pressure.
                    so yes it seems like the MAF could be the issue.
                    as long as the probe on the MAF is not damaged then that's the only other thing .
                    have you tried unplugging the MAF and see if it improves or gets worse ?
                    also see if you can get some live data on the short and long term fuel trims

.K.M.P.C.U
                    YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Thank you for that info it's very interesting.

I have an opcom reading from when I first got the car and the barometer pressure was 101 and the MAF reading was spot on what it should be and the car ran perfect Opcom will only show 3 figures so I would guess the 101 reading is the closest I will get to the exact figure. I did have what I thought was an issue where the car would start with high Reve ( 900-1000 rpm for a few seconds ) but I now know it's normal and it's the sensitive battery/ charging system just topping the battery up. I did clean the MAF sensor with electrical contact cleaner ( just a quick spray ) and I'm just wondering now if that's when the issue started?

Ever since the ambient temp has got higher outside the running has got worse. I did unplug the MAF and the car did sound worse but I didn't drive it. I've also noticed a smell of exhaust fumes from the exhaust which I never had before so I'm assuming it's running rich?

Also the DPF is filling up really quickly. It did a Regen last Friday on the motorway and the saturation level went down to 33% and when I checked 2 days ago it was up to 58% and ive only done about 100 miles. Could this be because of over fueling? I am really down on MPG which is crippling me

I have just looked though my live data and fuel trip isn't listed but I'll have a play around and try and see if I can get the values
                      Thanks again for all your help so far

Comment

The barometric pressure should be 101.325 , it's probably that opcom cannot show the value .
                        ive known a faulty MAF cause this sort of issue , basically because it measures the air mass , if there is a higher air temperature then the air mass is lower , the MAF will accommodate the variations in air mass as air temperature falls or rises , and in most countries and altitudes it works perfectly, bar extreme temperatures or altitudes.but once it starts to measure air mass outside its range ( i.e. To lower mass of air ) then it cannot sense correctly.
                        had one or 2 like that on another forum.
                        the MAP senses the pressure of the air incoming and can adjust boost to suite the air pressure.
                        so yes it seems like the MAF could be the issue.
                        as long as the probe on the MAF is not damaged then that's the only other thing .
                        have you tried unplugging the MAF and see if it improves or gets worse ?
                        also see if you can get some live data on the short and long term fuel trims
                        Today the ambient temp was much cooler so my MAF readings were not as bad as the previous days but the g/s reading was still low at about 9-10 g/s on idle.

I spent a good hour with the laptop and opcom wont show long and/or short term fuel trims. All i could get was fuel rail pressure and desired fuel rail pressure and the seems to match prefectly.

Another odd reading i saw was when i press the accelerator pedal the MAF g/s reading drops for a second before picking up. This would explain why when im at a roundabout and have to accelerate quickly the car either picks up and then backs off for a split second or it feels like ive barely touched the throttle.

I did what you suggested and revved the car and then switched off the engine and screenshotted it. Im not sure if i did it right so the reading might not be correct.

Click image for larger version

Name:	engineoff.jpg
Views:	1001
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	331121 Click image for larger version

Name:	engineoff.jpg
Views:	880
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	331122

Comment

I don't know but the INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE 1 and 2 SEEM to differ to me the first one will be in the MAF
                          and ambient air temperature at -40 ?
                          Check you outside air temperature sensor, which is in the lower part of the front grill .

.K.M.P.C.U
                          YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

I don't know but the INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE 1 and 2 SEEM to differ to me the first one will be in the MAF
                            and ambient air temperature at -40 ?
                            Check you outside air temperature sensor, which is in the lower part of the front grill .
                            This is the reading I got after I had revved the engine and then switched it off.

I've never had an issue with the outside air temp sensor, its always been correct. Can this sensor effect the running of the car? I thought it was just to let the driver know how warm it is

Comment

It can be part of the intake air temperature system , allowing, more or less fuel as the ambient temperature rises and falls especially with cold starts .
                              but like a temperature sensor for the ECU or like an old fashion choke system.
                              is that last screen shot with the engine not running ?if so why is the MAF showing a value of 277.27 GS .?
                              I would just for an experiment disconnect the battery for a couple of hours, then re-connect, start the car and let it idle for 10 minutes so it re-learns the base values then connect opcom and get live data from there .

.K.M.P.C.U
                              YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Working...
                              X