This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service Vehicle Soon - Glow plugs B20DTH engine

Hi All, I thought I would share my experience regarding the dreaded 'Service Vehicle Soon' message.

Initially like most I though it was to do with the Oil condition timer but I decided to look in to this and found it wasn't!
    I hooked it up to my Autel OBD scanner but as its a basic code reader it didn't pick this up and further research suggested it would need to be connected to more advanced scanner, I didn't want to pay a garage for this so went searching on the tinternet.

I found that a common cause for this message on the Insignia is the glow plugs and an advanced code reader could determine this and which one was faulty.. not wanting to pay some grease monkey, further investigation said you can use a multi-meter to check the plugs so I cracked on!

Take the plastic engine cover off and look at the back of the engine for the glow plugs, gently twist and pull the connectors of each glow plug, you then set you multi meter to the lowest ohms setting, the centre pin is positive and the glow plug nut is the earth, touch the probes on the centre pin and the nut, you should get a reading of less then 1.0, the first 3 were about 0.7 so were good, the last one had no continuity..BINGO!

I ordered a genuine GM glow plug from Autovaux which was the cheapest and only cost £16.37 and got and extra 5% off for signing up to the newsletter, Part Number is 55578336, My car has only done 28000 miles and I know the other plugs were good so I just replaced the one, some say you should replace all but I didn't see the need as I was replacing with a genuine plug.

to fit the new plug you will need a deep 10mm socket, squirt some penetrating oil on the threads and ensure your engine is warm as I have heard horror stories of them snapping on removal. I applied some Ceramic grease on the new plug thread and lightly tightened it, I believe it should be torqued to 10nm if you have one that goes that low but I only have one for the wheel nuts which is too high for delicate torquage.

I also understand that the DPF doesn't re-gen when a glow plug is faulty as it is needed to heat the cylinder to get the gasses nice and hot so if you get 'Service Vehicle Soon' message get it sorted sooner rather than later!

I hope you find this useful, it could potentially save you money and hassle as its an easy problem to self-diagnose if you don't have an expensive scanner and a quick and easy fix for yourself.

This needs to be a sticky...
    Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Langy View Post
      This needs to be a sticky...
      Sorted bud

Rab
      Last edited by RBH; 16-02-2024, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Belting write up, I'll be remembering this when it's my turn to do the same as my engine is the same, just out of curiosity tho how many miles have the plugs done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hindle1976 View Post
          Belting write up, I'll be remembering this when it's my turn to do the same as my engine is the same, just out of curiosity tho how many miles have the plugs done?

About 28000 miles, I guess they are original and the one I took out was a GM plug.

Comment

Originally posted by P7ULD View Post

About 28000 miles, I guess they are original and the one I took out was a GM plug.
            the original ones in my facelift did over 117000 maybe even more than that I can't remember off the top of my head, they were the pressure sensor ones

Comment

Working...
            X