How much for a windscreen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much for a windscreen?

Got a stone flicked up at the car on the A14 yesterday and it left a small star. Autoglass came out today to repair it, but cant as its too big and in my line of sight.

So its a new windscreen....?? How much????640!??

I was going to pay for it myself, but think i'll go through the insurance now.?? They were only ?190 on the Vectra!

Why would you ever not go via insurance? Unless things have changed in the last year or so, they don't impact on your no claims bonus.

Comment

It never has done for me in the past.

Comment

I had a new windscreen on my vec c last year.

Insured with axa protected ncb, didn't lose any ncb, but didn't gain any that year either.

On another note, what is the max year ncb you can get? I'm on 9 or 10 years is this why I didn't gain any?

Comment

I have 75% protected no claims and the excess for windscreen is only ?75 so why pay for it yourself?
          sigpic WOW Nice Car !!

Comment

I am getting the insurance to pay for it, but at the end of the day, your insurance will still go up, even though your NCD will not be affected (until the no. of claims rises).

I still have 3 windscreens declared on my insurance from the Vectra, so didn't really want to add a 4th.??Yep - I get through a lot of windscreens.??I suppose its all the motorway driving and the crap on the roads from them crumbling!

Maybe someone in insurance can tell us if windscreen claims affect policy prices?

Comment

Dave2166, on 30 May 2014 - 08:18 PM, said:
              still wont go up by ?641

have you got the sensors in the mirror area too....., or a heat reflective screen

All of the above ??

It is getting replaced on Monday now, between 13:00 and 18:00.??Oh well, WFH again

Comment

My screen has a chip which is a MOT failure due to size and location. Good job I've got a friendly tester as I refuse to pay the excess on a new screen until I really have to get one.

Comment

It won't count as a full claim, but they note down you used the service and should not affect premium.

Comment

I always go through insurance. One year i claimed 4 times, 2 replacement and 2 repair, it was a bad year (bad luck). Had windscreen replaced, day after straight down the M1, stone chip again and less than 24 hours old the windscreen.

Comment

Excess to pay is hardly nothing compared to actual windscreen cost.

Comment

God bless insurance !
                        sigpic

Comment

Logosgil, on 30 May 2014 - 10:45 PM, said:
                          God bless insurance !

Amen!

Comment

Flipfly, on 01 June 2014 - 07:53 AM, said:
                            Is that price through the stealers, or auto screens (or similar)?

I used to fit them for a living, that sounds like crazy money.

?640was to me (if i paid it) i'm sure the insurnace will be charged far more than that......?? (Auto windscreens)

Comment

dibble, on 01 June 2014 - 10:42 AM, said:
                              The A14 near Kettering is prone to stones flicking up at the mo. Personally, I'm always relieved when you hear the bang and knowing it hit the screen :-) Better than paint IMO.

Yep the widening isn't helping either now.

Comment

Working...
                              X