Side skirt cracked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side skirt cracked

Hi all. As the title says, I've noticed a 6" crack in the p/side side skirt (vx line), are they easily replaced,ie, can a novice like myself do the job,and are they available, if so,cananyonepointmeintherightdirection. The car is blue, so I would presume it'll require painting....thanks....

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

It would probably be easier to do a repair on it,in situ....they're a pain in the arse to remove,then a bigger pain to remove the adhesive that is left behind...I think for the cost of a new skirt,you could get it sorted in a bodyshop
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
      It would probably be easier to do a repair on it,in situ....they're a pain in the arse to remove,then a bigger pain to remove the adhesive that is left behind...I think for the cost of a new skirt,you could get it sorted in a bodyshop
      Cheers, I'll look into it tomorrow, thought it might be a simple bolt on bolt off job....

Comment

Originally posted by Arfa View Post
        Cheers, I'll look into it tomorrow, thought it might be a simple bolt on bolt off job....

No,there's about 6 clamps underneath,clamping it to sill.....then it's fixed to car with super strong adhesive
        ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Nothings ever easy .....

Comment

This might be if interest to you mate....

Comment

Been in touch with local dealers, new skirt, 211, comes primed, so extra cost for paint, also comes with fitting clips. He assures me that it's only clipped to the body and not bonded. Seems a lot of money for a strip of plastic, so I'm going to see if it can be repaired insitu...I don't want to tackle this myself as I've no real knowledge.....or access.

Comment

Originally posted by Arfa View Post
                Been in touch with local dealers, new skirt, 211, comes primed, so extra cost for paint, also comes with fitting clips. He assures me that it's only clipped to the body and not bonded. Seems a lot of money for a strip of plastic, so I'm going to see if it can be repaired insitu...I don't want to tackle this myself as I've no real knowledge.....or access.

please don't listen to the stealer.
                its clipped underneath on the sills.............along the top edge at the bottom of the doors, its bonded on.
                and the adhesive is a pure ballache to remove.

its the only way these can be fitted.

just shows the bloody lies the stealers will tell the customer.

buy a really strong glue...........save yourself 200
                https://insignia-drivers.uk/filedata/fetch?filedataid=7610&sigpic=1

Comment

Cheers rab, as usual, you shine through..I was thinking of bonding the crack, as its a straight line..my own fault, swerved to miss a British gas pipe installation, and caught the edge of the ramp they'd put up.....******* pain in the arse

Comment

I cannot believe they told you its not bonded on....FFS ..arseholes

Comment

I have the clips in my garage waiting for when I have mine fitted. As Rab says, 110% clipped underneath and bonded along the top edge, and yes RBH the glue doesnt like to be removed !!!

For ref, these are the underside clips.

Comment

Originally posted by Vx-Man-G View Post
                        I have the clips in my garage waiting for when I have mine fitted. As Rab says, 110% clipped underneath and bonded along the top edge, and yes RBH the glue doesnt like to be removed !!!

For ref, these are the underside clips.
                        how's the progress G???

Comment

Just phoned local body shop,quoted 220 all in, not bad, but when I told him they were bonded on, he said that they would damage the part getting it off, as they have to glue it on both sides, so I'd have to buy a new panel, so the cost is shooting up,,,,he was under the illusion that it just clipped on like mercs etc....gonna try and run a bead of epoxy resin along the crack, hope it works...weather is shite at the moment, so I'll attack it when less wet

Attached Files

Comment

You may have noticed the car is filthy, just got back from kettering, along the M6....in wet weather

Comment

Ffs mate.
                              run masking tape along the bottom edge of the crack.
                              Using plastic trim tools, open the crack up so the top of part is further into the sill.

Use this.......https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MITRE-FAS....m46890.l49286

Remove the trim tools tthen let both parts of the sill sit flush together. Spray the activator.
                              Remove the tape.

Problem solved

If you do it right and take your time, it'll never be seen.

Comment

Working...
                              X