Ideas please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas please...

Afternoon all I've just checked in my bootwell and it was full of water.

The boot carpet is dry and I've checked the boot seal I've just no idea where this could be coming from...

I'm hoping someone on here has had a fix for this.

Thanks guys.

Originally posted by davelaw82 View Post
    Afternoon all I've just checked in my bootwell and it was full of water.

The boot carpet is dry and I've checked the boot seal I've just no idea where this could be coming from...

I'm hoping someone on here has had a fix for this.

Thanks guys.
    do you have any idea on how many times this has been discussed on here?????

common fault....the forum has numerous posts on the subject

Comment

Originally posted by RBH View Post

do you have any idea on how many times this has been discussed on here?????

common fault....the forum has numerous posts on the subject
      Great il have a search around thanks.

Comment

Check the vents behind the bumper.
        the aerial base,
        Underneath the plastic at the hinges on the hatch.
        Underneath rear lights.
        The boot seal.
        The window seals.

All common places bud

Comment

Yeah for the boot it could very well be the two vents on either side of the car.

On mine with the same symptoms there are two small holes that for some reason have tape over them. One is easily accessible in the inside on the right. Remove the rear ruse board and you will see it.

The next however I had to remove part of the metal to remove it.

Comment

This may help? https://insignia-drivers.uk/forum/co...-ingress-o-s-r
            Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

Hi Dave,
              This happened on our 2018 car. It was parked facing backwards downhill, it snowed heavily and the snow sat on the roof for 3 to 4 days, gradually melting and running down over the rear estate door. I looked on here for the usual places for water ingress into the spare wheel well, but none of them were apparent. I eventually traced it to a round black rubber grommet about 30mm diameter which is at the top left hand side of the estate rear opening. I believe this is for the powered tailgate strut to fit it on other models of the insignia. If you turn the small rubber grommet you can see how the water running past it is able to get behind. The water in our spare wheel recess was clean and not salty (from the road) I removed the rubber grommet & I simply used some clear silicone to fix the grommet in place ensuring it was a good seal against any further water running past or over the rubber grommet. The problem never reoccurred so I guess it was the that ? Hope this is of some help. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by RBH View Post
                Check the vents behind the bumper.
                the aerial base,
                Underneath the plastic at the hinges on the hatch.
                Underneath rear lights.
                The boot seal.
                The window seals.

All common places bud
                Thank you much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickyg View Post
                  Hi Dave,
                  This happened on our 2018 car. It was parked facing backwards downhill, it snowed heavily and the snow sat on the roof for 3 to 4 days, gradually melting and running down over the rear estate door. I looked on here for the usual places for water ingress into the spare wheel well, but none of them were apparent. I eventually traced it to a round black rubber grommet about 30mm diameter which is at the top left hand side of the estate rear opening. I believe this is for the powered tailgate strut to fit it on other models of the insignia. If you turn the small rubber grommet you can see how the water running past it is able to get behind. The water in our spare wheel recess was clean and not salty (from the road) I removed the rubber grommet & I simply used some clear silicone to fix the grommet in place ensuring it was a good seal against any further water running past or over the rubber grommet. The problem never reoccurred so I guess it was the that ? Hope this is of some help. Cheers.
                  Yes the water in my wheel well is clean too no sign of dirt. I will have a good check around tomorrow Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon199102 View Post
                    Yeah for the boot it could very well be the two vents on either side of the car.

On mine with the same symptoms there are two small holes that for some reason have tape over them. One is easily accessible in the inside on the right. Remove the rear ruse board and you will see it.

The next however I had to remove part of the metal to remove it.
                    Well i checked tonight and I put my hand under the offside boot carpet near the back seat and it's wet on the metal under the hard foam stuff so I'm guessing it's the hard side.

Comment

Originally posted by davelaw82 View Post

Well i checked tonight and I put my hand under the offside boot carpet near the back seat and it's wet on the metal under the hard foam stuff so I'm guessing it's the hard side.
                      Mine was coming from both sides. I could see the water mark when I removed the fuse board. I filled it with silicon. Been dry since.

Comment

On my 64 plate, it came in from the O/S rear light cluster, the rubber grommet where the light cluster fits into on the side of the car was perished, this caused water to ingress via the vent on the right side of the boot, a capillary action moved the water along the weld seem, and into the passenger footwell behind the drivers seat, it took me ages to find this, and weeks of patting down with towels and ringing them out before it eventually dried out. good luck, I had to get into the boot close the lid and get the mrs to pour water all over the place to find where it was coming in!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Robmetaxa View Post
                          On my 64 plate, it came in from the O/S rear light cluster, the rubber grommet where the light cluster fits into on the side of the car was perished, this caused water to ingress via the vent on the right side of the boot, a capillary action moved the water along the weld seem, and into the passenger footwell behind the drivers seat, it took me ages to find this, and weeks of patting down with towels and ringing them out before it eventually dried out. good luck, I had to get into the boot close the lid and get the mrs to pour water all over the place to find where it was coming in!!!!!
                          Lol I can imagine it now with our neighbours the police would be around.....reports of man being locked in boot.
                          I'm going to remove the rear lights too as I can't see what's hidden behind them I'm just hoping it's a simple find.

Thank you.

Comment

You and me both! it was a sight to see, I fixed it with sealant, around the grommet and around the vent, didn't look pretty, so use clear if you can, but was all hidden by the boot lining any way!

Comment

Well this morning I've has the boot carpets out and sides and I can see nothing untoward.

I noticed it was wet just in front of the wheel well under the hard foam trim but I'd say that's caused from the splashing of the water in the well.

The only thing I've noticed is that the rubber seal is quite flat near the boot opening catch and there is dirt on top of the rubber so maybe when I've powerwashed the boot it's leaked in and gone down the latch and into the well.

Now I have adjusted them twist things on the boot lid so it closes tighter and see if that helps.

When I took the side trims off it was bone dry by the vents both sides nothing near the rear seats just the boot well.

Comment

Working...
                              X