Interior carbon fibre wrap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior carbon fibre wrap

Hi guys I've been playing about with ideas inside for a little while now, tried painting parts but didn't like it so I've decided vinyl wrap is the way forward, did various sections and actually I'm quite surprised and like it better than boring silver, not done my boot lid chrome delete yet as I'm not sure how I want to do it yet.

nice, looks good, cant have been easy ? getting around some of those curves on the handles ?

Comment

It was an actual nightmare but it seems to have worked and looks good, I stripped loads out to do around the edges, if it comes off then it doesn't matter as it was just cheap stuff from eBay, think next time I would just strip the parts and give them to a paint shop to do my preferred colour, I can paint but without a way to dry everything it just takes ages to do anything and it's virtually impossible to stop specs of dirt and dust getting on the finish in my hut

Comment

Can paint your own parts easily bud, just buy 2k clearcoat. Dries without an oven and cracking stuff. I use MIPA 2k...

Results...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220327_192612.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	338296 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220327_192559.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	338297 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220327_192544.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	338298 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220410_124310.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	338299 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220327_192550.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	338300

Comment

Very nice bud.
          I did mine a few years ago....not the door handles or door pulls...

But I quickly reverted back to the standard trim, as the drivers door trim seemed to become affected with water marks when rain got onto it.

Comment

I wasn't sure about the clear coat but if it's as good as that I might give it a try then, it does say if it gets wet it ca peel but I hope ot otherwise I will just rip them off and paint them

Comment

This is what I use whenever I do my own work bud, tried a few different ones and always go for this now...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173874784...mis&media=COPY

Comment

Nice I'll give it a go next time, I'm still thinking of painting the exterior chrome so I might use it for that

Comment

What's the drying time between coats on that clear? I'm buying it on Monday and I'm going to do my exterior boot chrome delete with the black paint match I've bought, I can't get the chrome to strip though so looks like it's going to be some tedious 600 grit sanding for ages, I've soaked it in bleach and now it's in brake fluid and it's not doing a thing, Mr muscle oven cleaner didn't work and I was going to sandblast it but I'm now told I'll ruin the surface and need to sand it anyway even with a light sandblast, soda blast made it more shiny

Comment

Originally posted by Gizzy62 View Post
                    What's the drying time between coats on that clear? I'm buying it on Monday and I'm going to do my exterior boot chrome delete with the black paint match I've bought, I can't get the chrome to strip though so looks like it's going to be some tedious 600 grit sanding for ages, I've soaked it in bleach and now it's in brake fluid and it's not doing a thing, Mr muscle oven cleaner didn't work and I was going to sandblast it but I'm now told I'll ruin the surface and need to sand it anyway even with a light sandblast, soda blast made it more shiny
                    Who the fukc told you to use brake cleaner, or mr muscle or bleach???
                    its a chrome plastic coating.....nothing like that will do anything to it.

And to sand blast plastic???
                    you'll be buying a new strip....and that's expensive.

All you do with these is rub it down to take the shine off it. Then plastic primer, paint then lacquer.

Job done.

Comment

I was just looking it up and nearly every result said the chemicals in those things would strip it back to bare plastic so I gave them a go but like you said it did absolutely nothing I have lightly sandblasted plastic before but it did need a good bit of rubbing afterwards you just have to keep the gun lower pressure and miles away from the part but it wastes a lot of the crushed glass and takes ages as you can't go near it, how am I supposed torub down all the edges of the badge though? You can't really get into them as it's all tiny little detailed bits?

Comment

When I did the interior chrome parts on one of my saabs, I just mixed up the colour I wanted using smooth rite ,and a flux brush .
                        none of this blasting or rubbing or nothing , I didn't even take any trim off all done in situ and turned out fantastic.
                        I think sometimes you can make a task over engineered .and by the time you cost it all up ,it can be eye watering.

.K.M.P.C.U
                        YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Yeh I always overthink everything, I just thought if I had an easy way of stripping the chrome then a light rub on the normal plastic and then it's easy to paint, didn't work so I rubbed down the wee chrome light surrounds today and adhesion primered then but mines says 24 hours to dry so I'll prime them and paint them over next few days and if it comes out nice and I like it I'll do the big boot strip and badge, I just realized the special mixed paint I got is an all in one paint and clear combined so I'll see how that goes first, I like to try out new stuff that's why I gave all the home remedies of stripping chrome a shot but can now confirm they definitely don't work

Comment

Originally posted by Lizard View Post
                            This is what I use whenever I do my own work bud, tried a few different ones and always go for this now...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173874784...mis&media=COPY
                            I tried the clear coat and your right it's very good, not a bubble or surface defect, I did put a bit too much on but it was only a tiny bit on the badge so I'll just put up with it. I'm definitely just painting next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Gizzy62 View Post

I tried the clear coat and your right it's very good, not a bubble or surface defect, I did put a bit too much on but it was only a tiny bit on the badge so I'll just put up with it. I'm definitely just painting next time.
                              Glad your pleased bud, 2 light coats then a wet coat and your sorted. You can always flat back with 2000 grit wet and dry then polish to a mirror finish... another skill you have learnt young man

Comment

Working...
                              X