Wet carpet under passenger seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet carpet under passenger seat

Screwdriver rolled under the front passenger seat this morning - put my hand under to retrieve it, and got wet

I'm very inflexible at my age, so limited in what I can access, but I can feel a kind of pit in the floor, under what I assume to be a warm air feed to the rear passenger, and it's soaking.

Any ideas please?

Did you pi55 yourself?

Comment

You have a leak ,could be from the rear somewhere as long as the front foot wells are nit are not under water ,
      brst bet is to spray water over the rear part of the car and see if you can see it coming in anywhere.
      theres a lot of threads on this subject just use the search function ( top right ) been covered many a time.

.K.M.P.C.U
      YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Right. After spending a day or two endlessly soaking up and removing water with cloths, to absolutely no avail, I decided to use my limited skills to see if I could find a leak anywhere.
        1. Doors – drains absolutely clear, seals look as new (remember this car has only done 13000 miles/9 years, so I’m not expecting anything like that to be perished or split – hopefully.
        2. Boot – seal appears to be in perfect condition, and correctly fitted.
        The water seems to be concentrating in the area around the warm air vents – I must have removed a couple of pints over the last day or two. The carpet in front, behind, and to either side appear pretty dry.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240405_090346.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	365868

This is what confused me, as I’d expect there to be a trail of wetness leading off to an obvious leakage point, but no.

Suspecting a matrix leakage, I put tissue paper inside the vents, and drove around with heat on, but they stayed bone dry. Have now tested the liquid from the wet area, and it’s plain water, not coolant.

So… based on my 12 years with a Rover 75 (most of them have leaky boots), I pulled the floor out of the boot, and found the area marked to be soaking. The big circular packing wedge which goes under the toolkit, and the one which goes along the bottom of the seat back, were pretty wet too.

Name:	20240405_090335.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	365869

But I can’t see where the water is coming in. Sure, when the girlfriend is back tomorrow I’ll get in the boot and get her to spray the outside with a hose, but I could never find the Rover’s leaks that way.

So… now you know the general wet area, is anybody any the wiser as to where the most likely culprit is? I’m going to plough through as many old threads as I can in the meantime, but just hoping that this particular leakage pattern may mean something to somebody.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Hogweed View Post
          Right. After spending a day or two endlessly soaking up and removing water with cloths, to absolutely no avail, I decided to use my limited skills to see if I could find a leak anywhere.
          1. Doors – drains absolutely clear, seals look as new (remember this car has only done 13000 miles/9 years, so I’m not expecting anything like that to be perished or split – hopefully.
          2. Boot – seal appears to be in perfect condition, and correctly fitted.
          The water seems to be concentrating in the area around the warm air vents – I must have removed a couple of pints over the last day or two. The carpet in front, behind, and to either side appear pretty dry.

Name:	20240405_090346.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	365868

This is what confused me, as I’d expect there to be a trail of wetness leading off to an obvious leakage point, but no.

Suspecting a matrix leakage, I put tissue paper inside the vents, and drove around with heat on, but they stayed bone dry. Have now tested the liquid from the wet area, and it’s plain water, not coolant.

So… based on my 12 years with a Rover 75 (most of them have leaky boots), I pulled the floor out of the boot, and found the area marked to be soaking. The big circular packing wedge which goes under the toolkit, and the one which goes along the bottom of the seat back, were pretty wet too.

Name:	20240405_090335.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	365869

But I can’t see where the water is coming in. Sure, when the girlfriend is back tomorrow I’ll get in the boot and get her to spray the outside with a hose, but I could never find the Rover’s leaks that way.

So… now you know the general wet area, is anybody any the wiser as to where the most likely culprit is? I’m going to plough through as many old threads as I can in the meantime, but just hoping that this particular leakage pattern may mean something to somebody.

Thanks
          rear lights would be my first port of call based on wet area in boot,

Comment

Originally posted by sri- nav View Post

rear lights would be my first port of call based on wet area in boot,
            Thanks! Well, I've read a load of threads now about this, but can't see anything which tells me where exactly the leak through the light would be...?

I like to know what I'm doing - at least to some extent - before I start. On the Rover there was a big rubber gasket which went round the outline of the cluster - is that the same here?

Is it worth buying a Haynes manual do you think?

Thanks

Comment

Boot seal didn't seem to want to come off, and I don't want to force it, as I have a tendency to break things... but I was able to get my hand down in past the light, and all that soft packing stuff they use seemed totally dry under the light...

I also read posts about the plastic strip along the top under the boot lid, but people said that problem had been fixed with the facelift (mine) - anybody know if that's the case?

Comment

Thanks! Well, I've read a load of threads now about this, but can't see anything which tells me where exactly the leak through the light would be...?

I like to know what I'm doing - at least to some extent - before I start. On the Rover there was a big rubber gasket which went round the outline of the cluster - is that the same here?

Is it worth buying a Haynes manual do you think?

Thanks
                I had a very similar problem with my A, but on the other side.
                It came from the rear light cluster, where it sort of plugs into a rubber grommet on the side of the car. this then came through the vent, with a capillary action along the weld, and into the passenger footwell. very difficult to see. I had to get another rubber grommet, and seal round the vent the vent with some silica sealant to cure the problem.
                I do have a post about it somewhere, so will need to search for my thread.
                Sounds like your problem is actually the same as mine all but on the other side of the vehicle.
                Good Luck!

Comment

hi remove ALL the boot trims from this side/ back of the rear light ( a pain but the only way to see ), then as you intended , get the outside sprayed with water while your inside is the best way to find leaks ,despite past failures( may just mean leak was not there) you can then also see the rear panel, tailgate seal etc etc

Comment

Originally posted by sri- nav View Post
                    hi remove ALL the boot trims from this side/ back of the rear light ( a pain but the only way to see ), then as you intended , get the outside sprayed with water while your inside is the best way to find leaks ,despite past failures( may just mean leak was not there) you can then also see the rear panel, tailgate seal etc etc
                    Thanks, that makes a lot of sense - and the past failures were with my old Rover 75, so not too relevant here.

OK if it ever stops raining (and hurricane expected tomorrow FFS), I'll do that.

Couple of questions though...

1. I break things. The older I get, the more ham-fisted. And I have a bad temper. So... can you advise me how to take the main side trim piece off? I suspect it just kind of pulls, whil you try and unhook it all the way round, but when I make assumptions like that, it usually ends with bits of broken things everywhere. So any tips please?

Particularly worried about how to ease the catch thing (circled below) through the hole - is there a right way to do this?

Name:	20240405_163506.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	365896
                    2. The absolute wettest point is the 2nd thing circled above, so I'm going to start by assuming the leak is somewhere above that, till I think of a better idea.

I read a thread somewhere about the likely leak being behind a bit of plastic trim above the boot (pictured below), but warning that the plastic fasteners will likely break when removed. Anybody know a part number or anything so I can get new ones before I start?

Name:	20240405_163527.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	365897

3. Finally, if I have to remove the hard plastic trim at the rear of the boot, how does it come off? Can't see any poppers or screws...

Name:	20240405_163518.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	365898

Thanks everybody

Comment

hi not had one apart, but as with most modern trim panels it will be clips, , like the rear boot panel, you have to be brave and pull but not like a nutter . try and get them started and then look underneath to see which way the clips go to get a better idea of were to pull. and try to work out what might come off first like the boot trim panel , there will be clips that break there always is, patience is a virtue

Comment

The strap d ring has a T40 or t45 (I can’t remember) bolt holding it in underneath the black cover in the middle. Then the carpet just slides out from the bottom and is friction clipped in at the top

those plastic fasteners have a centre bit that pulls out then the clip will pull out. It’s like an arrow head that expands when centre bit is pushed down

The boot plastic is just clipped in, line the D rings so they are pointing toward rear seats then lift up the plastic from the bottom and it’ll just unclip around itself.

Comment

Originally posted by G!zzard1533 View Post
                          The strap d ring has a T40 or t45 (I can’t remember) bolt holding it in underneath the black cover in the middle. Then the carpet just slides out from the bottom and is friction clipped in at the top
                          ​Sorry, do you mean the D ring I've circled in red? I can't find a bolt... probably being stupid, but do I have to push the trim panel in to expose it?

those plastic fasteners have a centre bit that pulls out then the clip will pull out. It’s like an arrow head that expands when centre bit is pushed down
                          I know the kind of thing you mean - in the Rover community we called them "scrivets", but these ones don't seem to have the detachable centre bit... I'll look harder when it's light tomorrow.

Thanks

Comment

​Sorry, do you mean the D ring I've circled in red? I can't find a bolt... probably being stupid, but do I have to push the trim panel in to expose it?

I know the kind of thing you mean - in the Rover community we called them "scrivets", but these ones don't seem to have the detachable centre bit... I'll look harder when it's light tomorrow.

Thanks
                            Yeah that’s the D ring I mean and then you’ve got one on the Near side of the boot plastic as well. That needs to be lifted up 90 degrees to get the boot trim off.

if they don’t they will possibly be push fit screws. Two thin blades screwdrivers underneath should get them started off out and then needle nose pliers to finish them off should work

Comment

if they don’t they will possibly be push fit screws. Two thin blades screwdrivers underneath should get them started off out and then needle nose pliers to finish them off should work
                              Just found them - £7 each and you need 5!

So I'd better try and get them off without damage, as you suggest...

Absolutely cannot find any screw or anything holding the D ring thingies on, so a bit stuck for now. But we have this major storm here for a couple of days now, so won't be able to do much anyway...

Comment

Working...
                              X