Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We had the same issues with errors. Nothing off the shelf worked. All had errors until one of our member's, Defie found these (though just had a search and they're no longer stocked anywhere )

The ones you're considering in your link might be ok. They look pretty much the same as the ones Defie found. The issue we did have with them was they were blindingly bright so we all wrapped the outer LEDs with duct tape.

Here are a couple of videos showing them working.

The first without covering the outer LEDs

The second with duct tape wrapped around the outer chips

Its all trial and error I'm afraid until you find ones that work. I'm pretty much sure no off the shelf bulbs will work error free though. They're all about using less energy which is no good to a canbus system.

2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

• Originally posted by marko301 View Post
      We had the same issues with errors. Nothing off the shelf worked. All had errors until one of our member's, Defie found these (though just had a search and they're no longer stocked anywhere )

The ones you're considering in your link might be ok. They look pretty much the same as the ones Defie found. The issue we did have with them was they were blindingly bright so we all wrapped the outer LEDs with duct tape.

Here are a couple of videos showing them working.

The first without covering the outer LEDs

The second with duct tape wrapped around the outer chips

Its all trial and error I'm afraid until you find ones that work. I'm pretty much sure no off the shelf bulbs will work error free though. They're all about using less energy which is no good to a canbus system.
      Okay, so that gives me a bit of hope that our cars do have the same CANbus systems. I just ordered these as they seem to be the closest to fitting the bill, CANbus compatible and a high wattage (21w). Going to be a week or so before they get here, but hopefully they do the job. I'll be sure to give the results when they get here.

Comment

• Good luck! As I said though. Be aware of the brightness. The rear indicator housings are reflectors so those chips around the edges could make them too bright. Especially in the dark.
        2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Good luck! As I said though. Be aware of the brightness. The rear indicator housings are reflectors so those chips around the edges could make them too bright. Especially in the dark.
          Yeah, I'll have to have a look and see what they're like when they get here if they work. Worst case scenario I'll cover them with tape or something else to dull them a bit. Just hoping that they actually work without error!

Comment

• marko301 sorry to pester you but there are a lot of replies in here which I've sifted through and just wanted to check as of this moment,

What lights are you running as your main beam now?

I'm sure you have reflectors like me?

Comment

• Originally posted by NE27 View Post
              marko301 sorry to pester you but there are a lot of replies in here which I've sifted through and just wanted to check as of this moment,

What lights are you running as your main beam now?

I'm sure you have reflectors like me?
              Just to be clear. By main beam do you mean your high beam, for use on unlit roads? Or dipped beam used in built up areas and on roads with lights?

Sorry to ask the obvious, it's just that some confuse main beam for dipped and I want to be sure we're talking about the correct bulbs.

In my dipped beam I use these. Which also require these to eliminate bulb out dash errors.

In my main beam I have these. The extra canbus resisters are not needed for main beam.

Comment

Just to be clear. By main beam do you mean your high beam, for use on unlit roads? Or dipped beam used in built up areas and on roads with lights?

Sorry to ask the obvious, it's just that some confuse main beam for dipped and I want to be sure we're talking about the correct bulbs.

In my dipped beam I use these. Which also require these to eliminate bulb out dash errors.

In my main beam I have these. The extra canbus resisters are not needed for main beam.
                Apologies, I did mean dipped!

I've done a little bit reading up on the whole led halogen replacements and always find the law on this murky?

Would this minor mod have any ramifications on warranty/insurance?

Comment

Apologies, I did mean dipped!

I've done a little bit reading up on the whole led halogen replacements and always find the law on this murky?

Would this minor mod have any ramifications on warranty/insurance?
                  LEDs are a real grey area. The rule of thumb is if a light isn't fitted as standard you shouldn't fit it. But more and more cars are being sold with LEDs as standard these days so I'd imagine in the event of a crash the LEDs wouldn't even get a mention.

With HIDs you knew headlight washers and self leveling needed to be fitted but LEDs don't have any other requirements afaik. Mine has just had its first MOT and everything passed, including light output and beam pattern.

Comment

LEDs are a real grey area. The rule of thumb is if a light isn't fitted as standard you shouldn't fit it. But more and more cars are being sold with LEDs as standard these days so I'd imagine in the event of a crash the LEDs wouldn't even get a mention.

With HIDs you knew headlight washers and self leveling needed to be fitted but LEDs don't have any other requirements afaik. Mine has just had its first MOT and everything passed, including light output and beam pattern.
                    Well that's a little reassuring to know.

And the products you posted fit nicely into existing harness and headlamp without any tinkering?

Also, did you finally settle on a fix for your rear led indicators?

Comment

Well that's a little reassuring to know.

And the products you posted fit nicely into existing harness and headlamp without any tinkering?

Also, did you finally settle on a fix for your rear led indicators?
                      Yeah everything fits in the housing. All just plugs in. No tools needed. It's a bit tight getting your hand in to fit them but all very doable.

I gave up with the rear indicators and went back to halogens.

Comment

Yeah everything fits in the housing. All just plugs in. No tools needed. It's a bit tight getting your hand in to fit them but all very doable.

I gave up with the rear indicators and went back to halogens.
                        Just out of curiosity, do you need to have both load resistor boxes stuffed into headlight housing?

Or does the additional one replace the one that comes with the new bulbs?

TIA

Comment

Just out of curiosity, do you need to have both load resistor boxes stuffed into headlight housing?

Or does the additional one replace the one that comes with the new bulbs?

TIA
                          Yeah for dipped beam I needed both. The ones the bulbs come with and the additional ones.

I had errors when I tried them with only the ones they come with. Plenty of room in there though.

Comment

Yeah for dipped beam I needed both. The ones the bulbs come with and the additional ones.

I had errors when I tried them with only the ones they come with. Plenty of room in there though.
                            Thanks for help marko301

I'll post pics up once done.

Comment

• Lights fitted, not sure what to make of them.

They're bright, like super bright tbh. Almost to the point I'm a bit worried about other drivers haha.

It may just be me adjusting to the drastic colour change from the old halogens but they just project so much light so far ha.

Had full Led's on my Leon and can't remember them being this piercing.

Another thing is I'm not sure how clean the cut off is on one of my bulbs. Both seem fitted properly in the harness but one just doesn't have as clean a cutoff, almost has two flick ups if that makes sense.

Comment

Lights fitted, not sure what to make of them.

They're bright, like super bright tbh. Almost to the point I'm a bit worried about other drivers haha.

It may just be me adjusting to the drastic colour change from the old halogens but they just project so much light so far ha.

Had full Led's on my Leon and can't remember them being this piercing.

Another thing is I'm not sure how clean the cut off is on one of my bulbs. Both seem fitted properly in the harness but one just doesn't have as clean a cutoff, almost has two flick ups if that makes sense.
                                Kezo fitted his today too. He took a couple of pics, here (post 33). He has the correct cut off like mine. That's how yours should look.

Comment

Working...
                                X