X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spot on mate

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Looks good, I'm much happier since changing to led.

Comment

• I'd seen something recently about mot changes and halogen headlights failing if they aren't halogen bulbs. Might be worth checking and changing back for mot time

Although if you had hids anyway I'd imagine you'll be Ok.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by jmagee View Post
          I'd seen something recently about mot changes and halogen headlights failing if they aren't halogen bulbs. Might be worth checking and changing back for mot time

Although if you had hids anyway I'd imagine you'll be Ok.

I do believe its only an issue if your car has HID's as standard, otherwise i'd imagine it's no different than changing from a standard bulb to something like Phillips super doopa bulbs (can't remember what they call them). I could be wrong though so please correct if anyone knows more.

Comment

• They'll never know the difference in projector lights because they're not allowed to open them up to see them. In mine on the other hand. You can see the led bulb sat inside the sheath in the reflector lights. To be honest though. There are that many new cars coming with LEDs as standard now, an MOT tester would need a degree in car model spec to have any chance of knowing if it should have halogens or LEDs

Mine passed its last MOT no problem. I watched him turn on the lights. Look at the beam pattern on the wall then move onto the next job. I doubt that will change unless they're forced to cross reference some kind of VIN spec database.

Can't see that happening.
            2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

• Auto express seem to be publishing a lot of 'real world' articles recently. First they sang the praises of 2010 insignias over Mercs, now they've tested H7 bulb bulb brand - see https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/produc...ght-bulbs-2021

​​​​​​
              2018 1.5T SRi Nav
              Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

Comment

• The post I saw about it was relating to changes from this year.

I'm inclined to agree though that if they work you'll have no issues. Cars are being built with led reflector headlights so not sure how garages are supposed to know the difference.

Comment

• According to the Autoexpress article, legislation is lagging behind the real world (just for a change!), and headlamps have to be filament. Not sure on the exact legal requirements, do we have a lawyer amongst our members who could advise?

EDIT: Useful article here: https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/bl...gal-in-the-uk/
                  2018 1.5T SRi Nav
                  Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

Comment

• legislation requires the headlight to be a certain level of power, as LED use much less, they fail on this aspect.

Comment

• Brexit dose it again .
                      Brexit 2021 Update

Please note that since January 2021, the MOT Inspection manual has been updated to include LED bulbs.

Section 4.1.4 now states the following:

“Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.”

This is a brand new update that seems to only focus on headlights.

There are no mentions to fail other LED bulbs such as brake lights, tail lights or reversing lights.

so at MOT time just revert back to hellogen bulbs for the test then put the LED or HID sets back in .
                      simple and effective .
                      and that explanation is so simple I can understand it .
                      so that's what I'll be doing .

19-4678 watts !

.K.M.P.C.U
                      YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

• That's the one

Comment

• Originally posted by lizzard-t View Post
                          Brexit dose it again .
                          Brexit 2021 Update

Please note that since January 2021, the MOT Inspection manual has been updated to include LED bulbs.

Section 4.1.4 now states the following:

“Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.”

This is a brand new update that seems to only focus on headlights.

There are no mentions to fail other LED bulbs such as brake lights, tail lights or reversing lights.

so at MOT time just revert back to hellogen bulbs for the test then put the LED or HID sets back in .
                          simple and effective .
                          and that explanation is so simple I can understand it .
                          so that's what I'll be doing .

19-4678 watts !
                          Yeah I read this yesterday and was going to post but work was wild.

It's really frustrating that because the original legislation demands a power usage in Watts and not a lumens requirement that you fail your MOT because you're using more efficient lights.

Just beggars belief.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

• Just ordered some of these Led lights was going to get Hid's but after seeing these I'm going to try them as everything is hidden in the back so nothing showing.

Comment

• Originally posted by mathesonewan View Post
                              Yeah I read this yesterday and was going to post but work was wild.

It's really frustrating that because the original legislation demands a power usage in Watts and not a lumens requirement that you fail your MOT because you're using more efficient lights.

Just beggars belief.

agreed
                              anything to stop you being safe on the roads
                              was not there an advert stating " see and be seen "
                              im just going to get a second pair of headlights and stick normal H7 in there and just swapp over when MOT time cones .
                              its easier than trying to remove the HID bulbs and ballasts and the resistors .on my car .

.K.M.P.C.U
                              YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

• Originally posted by lizzard-t View Post
                                agreed
                                anything to stop you being safe on the roads
                                was not there an advert stating " see and be seen "
                                im just going to get a second pair of headlights and stick normal H7 in there and just swapp over when MOT time cones .
                                its easier than trying to remove the HID bulbs and ballasts and the resistors .on my car .

To be honest I gave up. Hands are too big to fit and the thought of doing that every MOT put me off. Just got some better quality halo bulbs and happy enough!

Comment

Working...
                                X