Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrading my lights

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Upgrading my lights


    So as stated in my introduction thread, I'm running a 2010 Insignia SRi and it needs some love and care...mainly it needs bulbs. I've 1 DRL, 1 very poor aligned fog light and zero Number plate bulbs, all ready to be fixed.
    I've read that its hard to upgrade to LED DRLs without a load resistor and I'm not great with electrics, so I was wondering would something like the image below work without throwing up errors?

    Secondly, I read something about Number plates / Fogs not using the canbus system and that I could go straight ahead and install LED bulbs for my Fog lights and Number plate lights or would these need Load Resistors as well? I don't want any errors popping up.

    Or if anyone has some recommendations of what I should do, please share as I'm new and still learning.
    Mainly I'm just upgrading my DRLS/Fogs/Numberplates for now, I'll install Nightbreakers when the evenings become darker again.

    I'm after a more modern look to the front as I've come from a car that had all factory LEDs and going back to halogens was a bit of a pain haha.

    Anyways Thanks for now

    Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	295187


  • #2
    Don't waste your money mate

    Crap.
    https://insignia-drivers.uk/filedata/fetch?filedataid=7610&sigpic=1

    Comment


    • #3
      I never found an easy solution for the drl on the preface. Those bulbs are cheap and will take some of the yellow away, they're just not very bright. Leds (I found) were difficult to fit, they tend to be longer and there's not much wire on the connectors to get them in the socket, you would need resistors as well otherwise you get bulb out messages..... I am sure someone else will be along with some advice.

      Comment


      • #4
        I got my 1st insignia in 2013...it had these headlights too,I tried all the so called "better" bulbs,and spent a fortune in the process.......all for nothing,I'm afraid...as for the drl bulbs,there used to be some called polarg,,,they were halogen bulbs,with a visibly whiter led look,but dunno if they're still available today,as it was a while ago
        ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

        Comment


        • #5
          For number plate lights something like these:
          VAUXHALL ASTRA CORSA VECTRA INSIGNIA 18SMD WHITE LED NUMBER PLATE LIGHTS CANBUS | eBay


          Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
          Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

          Comment


          • #6
            Ah thats too bad, thanks for the suggestions, I guess I'll stay standard halogen for now. I don't want to go messing with it too much.

            Am I right in thinking its..
            T20 for DRLS
            501 for Number Plates
            H10 for Fogs


            I have the owners manual but weirdly enough it doesn't mention anything on bulb sizes .


            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
              I got my 1st insignia in 2013...it had these headlights too,I tried all the so called "better" bulbs,and spent a fortune in the process.......all for nothing,I'm afraid...as for the drl bulbs,there used to be some called polarg,,,they were halogen bulbs,with a visibly whiter led look,but dunno if they're still available today,as it was a while ago
              I found these earlier which funnily enough mentions polarg.
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/c/1644552242


              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by StevieIRL View Post
                Ah thats too bad, thanks for the suggestions, I guess I'll stay standard halogen for now. I don't want to go messing with it too much.

                Am I right in thinking its..
                T20 for DRLS
                501 for Number Plates
                H10 for Fogs


                I have the owners manual but weirdly enough it doesn't mention anything on bulb sizes .

                Yes to all.
                https://insignia-drivers.uk/filedata/fetch?filedataid=7610&sigpic=1

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by RBH View Post

                  Yes to all.
                  Also could you tell me if resistors are needed for numberplate bulbs / fog lights?

                  I've been looking but can't find anything on the resistors on how they work on here. Will 1 resistor do all bulbs (DRL, DIPS, MAIN) or is it one resistor per bulb?
                  Thanks mate.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    You will only need resistors in places where the onboard computer tells you you have a bulb out. E.g. dip beam, drl, stop and tail lights. Because the computer knows its left from its right you would need a resistor in each of these you fit an led in. LEDs dont have a filament like a normal bulb so when the computer runs a test (each time you turn ign on) it thinks there's a bulb out and it tells you which one. The resistor allows the computer to pass enough current to fool it into thinking there's a bulb there.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Sorry buddy, I'm kinda erratic with my replies as I'm at work.
                      your in great hands with the advice from Drew
                      https://insignia-drivers.uk/filedata/fetch?filedataid=7610&sigpic=1

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by RBH View Post
                        Sorry buddy, I'm kinda erratic with my replies as I'm at work.
                        your in great hands with the advice from Drew
                        Aye, get some work done! , Hope it's not going to be too cold up there!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Drew View Post
                          You will only need resistors in places where the onboard computer tells you you have a bulb out. E.g. dip beam, drl, stop and tail lights. Because the computer knows its left from its right you would need a resistor in each of these you fit an led in. LEDs dont have a filament like a normal bulb so when the computer runs a test (each time you turn ign on) it thinks there's a bulb out and it tells you which one. The resistor allows the computer to pass enough current to fool it into thinking there's a bulb there.
                          Thanks for that, starting to make sense to me...

                          According to another thread, Numberplate/Fogs dont use the canbus system correct? so I can put in LEDs?
                          Just making sure before I order some .

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            StevieIRL Post 5
                            Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
                            Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I never changed mine but I believe thats the case. If you want to check first just take one out or disconnect it and see if you get the error message.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X