Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water / condensation in one headlight unit

Hey all,

I've noticed that one of my headlight units seem to be condensate quite regularly. I have checked if none of the seals to take out / install a bulb are missing and they all seem to be firmly in place.

I've read this is a common thing but when I see my headlights in a reflection I can clearly see the condensated unit emitting less bright light because of it.

Is there anything I can do without replacing the whole unit?

Cheers,

Jerheij

Remove it,check for water ingress,especially around the base,where the ballast plugs in,,,seal if necessary
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Is it difficult getting the headlight unit out with all the automatic adjustment functionality? Just looked it up in the Haynes manual and it looks like you need to get your whole front bumper off of your car before being able to get the headlight unit out. That looks a bit more difficult than a standard light repair.

I am also getting the AFL service and headlamp auto levelling malfunction errors now. Is that related to the unit being condensated in the inside?
      Cheers,

Jerheij

Comment

You don't need to completely remove bumper to remove the light,,undo the fixings along slam panel and front wheel arch fixings,then tilt bumper down to access headlight fixings,there's 4 ,2 top,and 2 underneath...remove the plug,and light will come out....if you're getting the afl warning,and all bulbs are working,it may be too late,,there's a lot of pcbs in the headlight,near the bottom,inside,exactly where water will settle...do your cornering bulbs still work ? These can cause the afl service message,when blown
        ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

It's hard to tell, I don't drive a lot during dark hours. I've noticed them working before. I also noticed that the afl warning only comes on when it's wet / rainy weather.

If the PCBs are broken, do I need to replace the whole unit? And what would something like that cost?
          Cheers,

Jerheij

Comment

Yeah,replacement is the best bet...very expensive for new one,,try the breakers ....vauxhall changed the design on the facelift,and mounted the ballast to the side,instead of underneath,,cutting the risk of water ingress

Comment

I checked my car today, started it and moved a bit back and forth. The other day this already triggered the AFL error and now it did not so I have some hope.

I also inspected the lamp unit as good as I could and there doesn't seem to be a concentration of water in there. It just seems to be the condensation in the front part.

I chucked a few of the silicone bags in there to hopefully absorb some of the moisture and will check later. Fingers crossed.
              Cheers,

Jerheij

Comment

Mine leaked on the seal between the front lens and the black plastic body, at the top of the headlamp unit - somewhere around the spot where water pools at the end of the bumper/grille plastic.

I sealed it by scrubbing out the muck, drying out thoroughly, then pushing polyurethane seam sealer into the gap with a flat card, and this seems to has fixed it permanently. It can be a bit messy though, isopropyl alcohol can be used to remove any excess sealant. Silicone type sealants don't seem to adhere long to plastics, so I would recommend the polyurethane types.

The failed ballast was fixed by a session in the oven.

Comment

How did you find where the actual leak was? Mine seems to be mostly on the front bit of the lamp unit as there seems to be condensation there. Not really at the back bit.
                  Cheers,

Jerheij

Comment

Originally posted by jerheij View Post
                    How did you find where the actual leak was? Mine seems to be mostly on the front bit of the lamp unit as there seems to be condensation there. Not really at the back bit.
                    The condensation forms on the front because that's where it hits the cold at night. It can be leaking anywhere, and it doesn't need much of a leak to cause trouble.

I spotted a dribble inside the lens whilst I was scrubbing the bond between the lens and the body with warm soapy water.

Comment

Originally posted by sparky Paul View Post

The condensation forms on the front because that's where it hits the cold at night. It can be leaking anywhere, and it doesn't need much of a leak to cause trouble.

I spotted a dribble inside the lens whilst I was scrubbing the bond between the lens and the body with warm soapy water.
                      Ah okay. I haven't really spotted a crack or anything yet but I'll have another look later. I don't know if I feel comfortable taking part of my front bumper off in case I can't get it back on.
                      Cheers,

Jerheij

Comment

Working...
                      X