Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best HIR2/9012 HID bulbs?

Hi all,

Sorry to bring up another one of these topics but I can't seem to find a concrete answer and most posts here relate to LED bulbs, of which I'm not keen on having tried those Novsight and getting bad output with dark spots.

Note, I have a 2013 facelift Insignia with projectors.

I currently have a Stealth HID kit - this one https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/hi...ult55whb1.html however I must say, whilst the bulbs are brighter than the Halogen's they replaced, I'm still not happy with the brightness output as it's only marginally better.

I've scoured the net but can't seem to find any solid good brands in the UK without having to import from the states to get the likes of Morimoto, GTR, Hylux etc.

I don't really want to order random crap off Ebay at the risk they'll be just as shoddy as the current HID bulbs I have - Does anybody know of any decent HID bulb brands that can be purchased in the UK? I do know of a UK seller that does sell Morimoto kit but want to see what is local first.

Cheers.

If you've paid £60 for a HID kit and it's crap, then buying "crap" as you say off eBay for half that price and it's better than your original kit, then you've won a watch.

There's no way I'd pay that kind of money from any UK seller as they only buy them from China.

I paid £15 for my kit......fast forward nearly 4 years.....great kit, great light output, never missed a beat.

All these UK companies are only buying the kits in bulk from China (allibaba.com / Ali Express) repackaging and marking them up to make mega bucks.

I'll stick with ebay crap

Comment

Okay fair point, I guess it's because we perceive more expensive as better quality and that the £15 pair of HID's must obviously be bad.

I'm open for suggestions though please?

Comment

Originally posted by Mobes View Post
        Okay fair point, I guess it's because we perceive more expensive as better quality and that the £15 pair of HID's must obviously be bad.

I'm open for suggestions though please?
        Another example buddy ......

Android head units for the insignia.

These can be purchased from Ali Express from around £100+.

Icebox auto based in Liverpool will sell you the same unit for £300+.

They buy them from China and mark them up big time.
        Any issues, they gotta send them back to China and you still gotta wait months......

Back to the lights.....my kit is an AUTO FATHER kit.

Take a look on Ali Express, they're cheaper than ebay. You may need to wait but you'll save some cash.

Comment

Cheers for that, I didn't mean to get your back up or offend at all - I guess I'm just ignorant on the matter compared to yourself!

Comment

I remember buying a HID kit for my Vectra C from HIDS DIRECT based in Manchester.
            I paid over £60 over 11 years ago...coz they were recommended on the vec c forum..... absolutely crap....pile of pish.
            Ballasts went within months.
            Got them replaced but took ages to get them.
            They turned out to be a 1 man operation in a wee unit in an industrial estate....but the guy found a niche and made a fortune from cheap kits.

I bought a cheap H7 kit from eBay for my Vectra and it was the same kit when I sold it after 7.5 years, albeit the lights had dimmed throughout the years.

New bulbs and was as Good as new.

As you said, we all perceive that the more expensive the better but it's not always the case

Comment

Originally posted by Mobes View Post
              Cheers for that, I didn't mean to get your back up or offend at all - I guess I'm just ignorant on the matter compared to yourself!
              Don't be daft bud....I'm not the least bit offended...I just don't like to think of people forking out their hard earned to some fly fukker who just want a quick buck.

If we can help people on here and save them a few quid, then everyone's happy

Comment

That kit in your link from ABD
                is sold by HIDS4U that trade from the same address as ABD
                I brought my kit from HIDS4U But i went for the 55w kit
                my reason was because I had brought so called CAN BUS ERROR FREE kits from the likes of ebay and amazon and they threw errors
                So to my mind , yes I brought more expensive, but they did the job and they were 100 % better than the halogen candles.
                So to sum up after paying what must of been a £100 on crap sets , I could of paid £65.00 in the first instance, and have had change to spend on a blow up 3 hole doll !

.K.M.P.C.U
                YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

One of my biggest gripes with the headlights on this car is the angles - Either my headlight alignment is out or it's just the design.

Here is a crude drawing of my issue and why i struggle with corners at night (I live in Stroud with not so many streetlights and lots of nasty hills!)

The yellow is how the beam shines now from the start and the red is how it was in my previous Audi A4 with Bi Xenon's from factory. I could see the sides of the roads much easier in the Audi.

I may be talking crap but I'm sure you guys can weigh in on the beam pattern.

Comment

Just adding to the above, here is a photo of my nearside beam pattern - I honestly cannot see the curb when taking turns in unlit roads!

Got some more bulbs en route so hopefully they're better.

Comment

I hate to triple post, but here is straight shot of my projector beam.

Wondering if anybody else can weigh in with theirs? I honestly can't help think mine is buggered or out somewhere.
                      Attached Files

Comment

And why do you think it's no good.....have unused the car with the standard bulbs?????

That's when you realise their crap.

Comment

Yeah I've used with the original halogen bulbs and the pattern is the same, but a lot less brighter of course. My issue is night time driving on corners. With where the beam cuts off on the left hand side I just cannot see the curb.

Comment

It's possible as the original bulb will illuminate 360° from the glass globe....the led chip is on each side, so it's bound to have bits it don't get to bud.

Ive used hids for years.....bought a set of novsight LEDs for mine.

Fitted, test drove it 2 miles......removed instantly.
                            I'm back to the hids.

There's members on here who swear by the LEDs.....not for me I'm afraid.
                            Last edited by RBH; 18-01-2022, 07:55 AM. Reason: Speeling mistooks

Comment

Yeah I also tried the Novsight LED's and instantly returned them due to crap output and darkspots. If possible, I'd appreciate if yourself or somebody else could post their beam pattern at some point so I can see if they're all the same or just mine.

Comment

Working...
                              X