Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Service AFL Lamp , Headlamp levelling malfunction contact service , how to diagnose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service AFL Lamp , Headlamp levelling malfunction contact service , how to diagnose

I read few threads on the subject but there is some inconsistency and posts are a bit old and chaotic so I thought I will try to clarify things:
    Situation: Insignia 2.0 CDTI elite xenon lights I jumped in today morning and I got : Service AFL Lamp and headlamp levelling malfunction. I was late to work so I've done following checks:
    - Checked OBD codes to my surprise nothing is there
    - checked light quick, peak, driver

What I plan to do:
    1. After work check are lights dancing, than check each type of light one by one to identify what's going on, try again to read codes with OPL monitor app
    2. Check light bulbs is any of them look dead, if in doubt swap light bulbs from passenger's side
    3. Unplug everything and clean connectors with some kind of electronic spray (any recommendation for a spray ? )
    4. If it's not light bulbs and reconnecting and spraying won't help swap ballast from other light and see does that help ( there is cheap £20 5Dv 009 720 00 on amazon i assume this might work)
    5. If it's not connectors and light bulbs and not ballast it might be level sensor on axle, could not find video on yt how to deal with that, and i could not find part number, some posts say there is 3 of them some say there is one, there was a lot of water yesterday maybe it got splashed, if anyone can let me know is that possible and can i diy replace/swap them and what part number im looking for that would be great.
    6. anything else I can do if all this fails?
    7. Used xenon whole headlight is £350 and new one £600 if all above fails will that even help ?

I have MOT in 6 days so great timing.... any help will be greatly appreciated, I can postpone MOT until 6th of December at the latest but I would prefer to meet Friday appointment in 6 days if possible

Ok so passenger side light is working fine and dancing and all while driver's side does nothing no matter what I do. On OPL monitor the following codes appeared: U1502 & U1521. I bought EC-90 contact cleaner and unibond extreme weather outdoor silicon as water was gathering in light whole autumn and although I put silicon pack and opened plastic caps to vent it didn't help much so I will do some research on codes but I think it might be ballast. Any tested ballasts that won't bankrupt me?

Tomorrow I'm working so I doubt I will do much but on Sunday I will try to dry it, clean it, seal it and swap ballast from other light. Lightbulb fault is unlikely as nothing works but I will check them when sealing anyway.

Comment

just be careful with cheap ballasts and bulbs ,may be cheap like a Friday night 10 pinter but gets expensive when she phones you in a months time saying she's pregnant!

.K.M.P.C.U
      YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Originally posted by lizzard-t View Post
        just be careful with cheap ballasts and bulbs ,may be cheap like a Friday night 10 pinter but gets expensive when she phones you in a months time saying she's pregnant!
        Right, do you still have her phone number ? Just asking for a friend ,

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Comment

Sweet cheeks!

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

.K.M.P.C.U
          YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Sweet cheeks!

oh that one! she's the reason I can only afford insignia

Comment

I can only afford a Volvo due to her!

.K.M.P.C.U
              YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Ballast must be good because you can hear water splashing around inside , if ballasts have fresh water inside they are good right ? It's only if they dry its bad .

On a more serious note I put wet light inside cardboard box and kept pumping hot air with hair drier for 30 minutes and light is still wet. I gave up and now I'm just blowing in air directly inside and it's still not drying very well any tips and tricks on drying wet headlight ? I'm afraid if I kill my wife's hair drier it will cost me my life and it won't be worth DIYing repair of headlight that costs £600 if I'm dead

Comment

Blowing air into a " box " is how my wife likes foreplay .
                  Bilge pumps or stick in oven
                  But there again if you blow her oven up she will kill you then hide your body on the next new smart motorway.

.K.M.P.C.U
                  YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Blowing air into a " box " is how my wife likes foreplay .
                    Bilge pumps or stick in oven
                    But there again if you blow her oven up she will kill you then hide your body on the next new smart motorway.

I removed box and just blew hot air right into that big whole and kept changing between blowing into bigger hole and smaller, it worked

All siliconed nicely ( and by nicely I mean spread all over for no reason mostly ). I was to scared to move original ballast from good light to this super wet one. some moron filled part where ballast connects with light with silicone , when I sprayed contact cleaner it melted silicone away but it left like sticky residue which makes me worried. I like silicone just like other dudes but honestly more is not always better !

Comment

And i think it looked cooler when I connected right light on left hand side I might swap lights around permanently

Comment

Ok ballast finally arrived and it kind of works. Corner light (LED one? ) is weirdly flashing when they start but aside of that all good. I silicone the living hell out of edges now should i seal caps as well or just leave it?

Comment

So when I noticed water I threw silica gel inside ,that didn't help. Than I read you can open cap and heat from engine will keep drying light , that didn't help, than I opened both caps that didn't help ballast died.

Now when I had to replace ballast so I removed old silicone , cleared it , dried it with stupid hairdryer (risking my life) for over an hour, I put good quality outdoor weather resilient silicone , I left it with caps open inside home for 48 hours so that I was sure silicone was dry and light was dry. Installed it today took it for a spin left it in parking and in the evening I have water inside that light again ! How ?!? I just added some cut up rubber gloves under caps , maybe caps are the issue but reality is this water keeps getting there somehow and it will find its way to the lowest point which is ballast and ruin it again . I'm out of ideas

Comment

Ok even more water today I removed seal from caps and put small wire underneath to push it out. If that won't help I will try to blow some smoke into light and see where is it coming out. Can you tell I really don't want to spend £600 on that light but it's doing everything it can so that I just crash it against wall and buy a new one.

The thing is that at this point I won't be able to tell with all this water is it working, wheni drive to work tomorrow if it's not raining I will open both caps and try to dry it out with engine heat and put caps back on but I won't hold my breath, most likely I will have to steal my lass hairdryer again.

Will this car ever stop torturing me ?

Comment

Ok today morning led part didn't work at all but i removed caps and drove without them to dry it out and it started working, I put caps with cables under seal on as soon as I parked and they kept working when I finished work. On my way home I expected rain so I removed only back cap and indeed it rained and lorries splashed me with water a lot top cap was defo wet but amount of condensation inside seems smaller. I closed both caps for the night and fingers crossed for MOT tomorrow. After that I want this light to die so I can crush it against the wall and smash it with hammer. Im sick of fixing , removing , sealing and drying it. But I bought vape pen today for £4 and when I remove it on weekend to dry and check it (again! Sic!) I will put smoke inside to see where is it coming out. Don't know will it help but I'm out of ideas moisture is inside and I'm unsure is there more gathering at this point or not or when is it happening.

Comment

Working...
                              X