Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insignia EcoFlex 2.0L MPG

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Insignia EcoFlex 2.0L MPG

    Hi All,

    I've recently bought a new Insignia EcoFlex 2.0L 2011 Model. Really loving the car, but my main concern is the MPG.

    I've been driving from Pontypridd to Cardiff Bay, which is around 30 miles round trip, daily Mon-Fri. And so far it's cost me 40 a week on Diesel.
    From what i've read, I do not seem to be getting near enough the MPG I should be.

    I've been driving as eco as possible, this will be on A470 at an average of 50 mph, and the M4 an average of 65 mph.
    Using the Cruise Control on both roads, and not driving like a mad man.

    I can see the gauge on the car just dropping with every mile undertaken.
    I understand this is a large car, but surely this is some huge consumption.

    Does anyone else think this is an issue, or am I expected to pay such costs considering the mileage.

    Any advice would be great.

    Many thanks

  • #2
    By my reckoning you're getting 20-odd mpg. You ought to be getting double that.
    I would get the supplying dealer to take a look at it. Probably something like a split in a boost pipe.

    Longer-term, I'm not sure whether 15 miles each way five days a week is ideal usage for a diesel; I would have suggested petrol unless you happen to make longer journeys at weekends.

    With 15 mile journeys diesel might not have enough time to warm up the engine and may sometimes fail to complete DPF regens, especially in winter. EGR clogging and prematurely worn out glow plugs might be a problem in future too.
    Diesels I've had in the recent past can take ten miles to reach operating temperature in winter and while a diesel engine is below operating temperature it can suffer poor mpg.
    .

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by 2000rpm View Post
      By my reckoning you're getting 20-odd mpg. You ought to be getting double that.
      I would get the supplying dealer to take a look at it. Probably something like a split in a boost pipe.

      Longer-term, I'm not sure whether 15 miles each way five days a week is ideal usage for a diesel; I would have suggested petrol unless you happen to make longer journeys at weekends.

      With 15 mile journeys diesel might not have enough time to warm up the engine and may sometimes fail to complete DPF regens, especially in winter. EGR clogging and prematurely worn out glow plugs might be a problem in future too.
      Diesels I've had in the recent past can take ten miles to reach operating temperature in winter and while a diesel engine is below operating temperature it can suffer poor mpg.
      Hey man,

      Thanks for giving me your thoughts. Not sure if this helps, but when I leave my house, literally within 5 mins i'm on the Dual Carriage way, doing between 50mph and 70mph depending on the junction. Then straight onto the M4, no real stop start due to the time I leave. The weekends the car will be used on short distances, or not used.

      Is there a way to check the Pipe myself without taking it to a garage? If of course this is the issue.

      Apologies for the sillly questions, this is my first Diesel, and pretty much my first car. The distance traveled daily isn't going to really change, and i've just bought this within the last couple of weeks, so I won't be getting rid of it for some time.

      Do you think there maybe other areas I could investigate too?

      Thanks again.

      Comment


      • #4
        According to Google maps, that's a distance of 22 miles each way, so 220 miles a week. At 1.30 a litre for derv, 40 worth gives a fuel consumption of around 37mpg, which isn't unreasonable, especially if weekend journeys are short and there's traffic on the commute. Suggest zeroing your trip meter at next fill and checking the indicated mpg on the trip computer.
        2018 1.5T SRi Nav
        Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

        Comment


        • #5
          Similar boat, got a 2011 2.0 eflex (not sure if this the same as the eco, I don't have stop start...)

          I'm getting 40 max, even when reset at the start of a 40mile round trip, largely motorway.
          I'm also using Shell V Power.

          No whilst I know this isnt terrible, I used to get a little more from a 330d on same kind of use. And a lot more from an Audi 2.0tdi.

          The car does smell quite fumy when stationary. I think more so on start up, so unlikely regen related. I also did have one instance of a slight mis / rough idle.
          So I will at some point whip the egr pipe off etc and have a nose around.

          Im curious as to whether this is normal, or if there is a potential issue.
          The mpg doesn't really matter to me, was just surprised it wasn't more. Like even trying to hypermile it, I can't get much over 40.5

          Comment


          • #6
            I have a 59 plate Ekoflex elite it averages 43 around town short 5or10 mile journey on a long motorway journey it's just over 60 mpg much better than my previous mondeo very happy [emoji4]

            Comment


            • #7
              Hi all,

              Thanks for the answers.

              Having looked at the Trip Comp last night, it say i'm averaging around 43 mpg. Are we under the concurrences that this is as much as i'm going to get,
              or are there ways to improve this?

              On a side note the StabiliTrack Service warning came on last night, so i'll be taking it to the dealership to get this fixed asap.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by LeeGraham View Post
                Hi all,

                Thanks for the answers.

                Having looked at the Trip Comp last night, it say i'm averaging around 43 mpg. Are we under the concurrences that this is as much as i'm going to get,
                or are there ways to improve this?

                On a side note the StabiliTrack Service warning came on last night, so i'll be taking it to the dealership to get this fixed asap.
                43mpg is ok tbh. If you drive and don’t go above 1500rpm you can get even higher as i tried it before but it’s difficult to do this all the time.
                The stabilitrack will probably be just an abs sensor which are very common on these
                2011 tourer elite nav 2.0 eco flex
                Irmscher grill, hecko wind deflectors, dtuk tuning box, dtuk pedal box, Vauxhall logo puddle lights

                Comment


                • #9
                  Ah ok, clearly spending 40 a week on Diesel is going to be the norm by the sounds of it.

                  Yeah, spoke to the garage, they'll be able to fix this within a day. Luckily it's still under warranty,
                  so it won't cost a penny for moment.

                  Thanks all for the advice.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Costs me 90 per month, approx 700 miles give or take, that 13 mile each way for work, one way always in start stop traffic. And three of four decent runs through the month.

                    MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
                    Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by MattG View Post
                      Costs me 90 per month, approx 700 miles give or take, that 13 mile each way for work, one way always in start stop traffic. And three of four decent runs through the month.
                      Wow that seems excellent in comparison to myself.

                      Am I doing something wrong? Or is there I'm missing in something in terms or maintenance...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Keep revs low (<2000 wherever possible), pay attention to dpf cleaning (tickover rises to around 1000rpm and if you go into the consumables menu it will show the rear screen heater on but the switch led won't be lit), anticipate slowing down to minimise braking, use cruise control whenever possible. Try using the trip computer, which displays cumulative fuel consumption and can keep you focused. Also use higher tyre pressures (from memory, this can range from 30psi for max comfort to 37psi for max economy, but check in the handbook).
                        And finally, don't get too hung up on mpg, at around 40 - 45 mpg for the kind of mileage your doing each 1 mpg less you get will cost you about 50 per year.
                        2018 1.5T SRi Nav
                        Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by PeteH View Post
                          Keep revs low (<2000 wherever possible), pay attention to dpf cleaning (tickover rises to around 1000rpm and if you go into the consumables menu it will show the rear screen heater on but the switch led won't be lit), anticipate slowing down to minimise braking, use cruise control whenever possible. Try using the trip computer, which displays cumulative fuel consumption and can keep you focused. Also use higher tyre pressures (from memory, this can range from 30psi for max comfort to 37psi for max economy, but check in the handbook).
                          And finally, don't get too hung up on mpg, at around 40 - 45 mpg for the kind of mileage your doing each 1 mpg less you get will cost you about 50 per year.
                          Exactly. I used to get hung up on it, trip days anything from 42-48 actual from 40-44.
                          I don't drive hard, but not slow either, usually wait until engine upto temp before any hard driving, keep my top speed below 75 usually, use third or fourth for acceleration, use cruise control whenever i can, don't leave engine just ticking over, use the stop /start when in traffic.
                          I do enjoy the car thou, and sometimes I can watch the average mpg go from 48 to 40 in just a few miles if energetic driving .

                          MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
                          Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by LeeGraham View Post
                            Hi All,

                            I've recently bought a new Insignia EcoFlex 2.0L 2011 Model. Really loving the car, but my main concern is the MPG.

                            I've been driving from Pontypridd to Cardiff Bay, which is around 30 miles round trip, daily Mon-Fri. And so far it's cost me 40 a week on Diesel.
                            From what i've read, I do not seem to be getting near enough the MPG I should be.

                            I've been driving as eco as possible, this will be on A470 at an average of 50 mph, and the M4 an average of 65 mph.
                            Using the Cruise Control on both roads, and not driving like a mad man.

                            I can see the gauge on the car just dropping with every mile undertaken.
                            I understand this is a large car, but surely this is some huge consumption.

                            Does anyone else think this is an issue, or am I expected to pay such costs considering the mileage.

                            Any advice would be great.

                            Many thanks
                            christ, I spend less than that in a week with a 65mile round trip per day in a 2.0 Gransport diesel which is less economical than yours. As 2000rpm says, 15 mile is not a decent trip really for a diesel but still should be getting a fairly decent mpg. I'd try a good service, all filters changed to see if that helps, a cheap fix if it works. Other things to look at are oxygen sensors, thermostats, fuel injectors, EGR valve....

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              drive is nicely, as PeteH and MattG says - I used to get 66mpg on my old Facelft 2.0CDTI 163.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X