Accurate trip computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accurate trip computer?

Just calculated that my trip computer over-reads my mpg by 5%. Is there any way to recalibrate this through the OBD port so that it reads accurately?
    Last edited by Noddy 90; 14-05-2021, 04:09 PM.
    You can lead a horse to water but you can't bring that dog in here, mate...

No
    But you could try resetting all trips and do another test .
    It could also be the size of the tyres .tyre pressures, ambient temperature, loads of factors go into thease computer jiggery-pokery, it scrambles up all info and throws it out the other end.
    I think myself 5% would be classed as a safe reading if low or high .
    But still I'm no expert.
    And have certificates on my wall that say I have a merit in talking out my blow hole !

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

.K.M.P.C.U
    YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Hi, lizzard,

Thanks for the reply - this is for miles PER GALLON, though, not mph, so "safe reading" isn't really relevant. It's not something that most people would bother with but I have certificates on my wall both for being anal and having OCD...

Comment

There are pills for both available from your local pharmacy.

Yeeeeèeeeehaaaaaaaà!

.K.M.P.C.U
        YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

I'm sure even if you try and calculate it yourself, to compensate for inaccuracies on filling you would have to repeat the same technique a number of times and take that average, even then there would be some percentage of error. I know of one forecourt where the operator would adjust his pumps (within legal tolerance) on days when he had a delivery because he claimed the fuel was still hot and greater volume. I don't want to cause any OCD but can we be sure how much fuel we are actually buying when it's disappearing down a black hole into the fuel tank, even the pumps have a degree of tolerance!
          I don't think you you could ever be confident of any figures your own or the cars!

Comment

As above,weather also affects the forecourt tanks,cold in winter then heat in summer,suppose it also applies to the car's fuel tank.
            88mpg Urban!
            Last edited by Howy; 14-05-2021, 08:21 PM.
            Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
            Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Originally posted by Howy View Post
              As above,weather also affects the forecourt tanks,cold in winter then heat in summer,suppose it also applies to the car's fuel tank.
              88mpg Urban!
              I think I could get more if I take the car upto say 70mph, zero the trip and simultaneously lift off the accelerator and coast to a stop. If I did that down a big hill, who knows.
              On a point of interest, or not as the case may be, when I was a kid my dad used to do the same routine with every car he bought (just for fun). There's a hill hear us that he used to crest at 60mph, knock the car out of gear and coast as far as it would go. I first remember him doing it in an Austin Cambridge estate, then a Maxi, a Princess, Fiat 132, Ford Granada etc. I think the Maxi was the winner about 2 1/2 miles.

Comment

Or just use an app

P30 lite using Tapatalk

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
                Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

That app looks good! I used to have a similar one but I soon got bored of entering all the details in. I just want an accurate trip computer, really. I appreciate everyone's points about the number of variability factors...

Comment

I think the accuracy of anything is reliant on the person who programmed it .
                    fir all we know that person could of been smoking a Jamaican woodbine whilst trolling tinder for his or hers next "pick-up ".
                    with me I'm an airy fairy kind of guy and accept things are not as accurate as they may claim to be .i look at life with positivity and caution.
                    all I know is that my wife is a woman because I've been inside her knickers !
                    and that the trip computer on my car is on Drugs !
                    Hamen .
                    yes OCD dose effect me in my workaday little world just look .
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1155.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	299358 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1156.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	299359 And it gets worse .

but still that's me ,
                    we are all different and all being different is what makes us unique and being unique is fantastic
                    or the world would be boring!

.K.M.P.C.U
                    YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Could it be that the speedo reading is inaccurate? The calculations on mpg within the car are linked to the speedo which is inaccurate (mine reads 3mph different to GPS at most speeds). The speedo will be telling the fuel gauge that you have gone further than you actually have so will make an incorrect calculation based on that.

Comment

Originally posted by lizzard-t View Post
                        I think the accuracy of anything is reliant on the person who programmed it .
                        fir all we know that person could of been smoking a Jamaican woodbine whilst trolling tinder for his or hers next "pick-up ".
                        with me I'm an airy fairy kind of guy and accept things are not as accurate as they may claim to be .i look at life with positivity and caution.
                        all I know is that my wife is a woman because I've been inside her knickers !
                        and that the trip computer on my car is on Drugs !
                        Hamen .
                        yes OCD dose effect me in my workaday little world just look .
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1155.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	299358 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1156.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	299359 And it gets worse .

but still that's me ,
                        we are all different and all being different is what makes us unique and being unique is fantastic
                        or the world would be boring!
                        What a professional job, great installation

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Comment

In my role working for the NHBC, that's a class installation Mr Lizzard-T

Comment

Working...
                          X