Engine remap woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine remap woes

Hi guys so I had a remap done a month or so ago. My car is a 2013 2.0 cdti 163bhp auto. I asked for a mix of power and economy remap. The bhp and torque increased. The car was quicker but that's not the reason I had the remap. I have had remaps done on my 3 previous cars(all astra's) and as well as increase in power all returned better mpg. However my Insignia 's mpg dropped to 32 town and 38 average. I didnt drive the car any harder than before the remap when I was getting around 40 town and averaging around 50mpg before the remap. I contacted the remapping company who were surprised. They then arranged for the technician to come back and put in a new map, a mixture of power and economy. Iv'e done a couple of hundred miles since and the mpg is only slightly better but still below what it was as standard before the first remap. What has happened guys.

Originally posted by paul68 View Post
    Hi guys so I had a remap done a month or so ago. My car is a 2013 2.0 cdti 163bhp auto. I asked for a mix of power and economy remap. The bhp and torque increased. The car was quicker but that's not the reason I had the remap. I have had remaps done on my 3 previous cars(all astra's) and as well as increase in power all returned better mpg. However my Insignia 's mpg dropped to 32 town and 38 average. I didnt drive the car any harder than before the remap when I was getting around 40 town and averaging around 50mpg before the remap. I contacted the remapping company who were surprised. They then arranged for the technician to come back and put in a new map, a mixture of power and economy. Iv'e done a couple of hundred miles since and the mpg is only slightly better but still below what it was as standard before the first remap. What has happened guys.
    The way I see it. Is that you can't have a mix of performance and Eco. The stock map is pretty much that. In the middle of performance and Eco.

When the tuner looks at the ECU they alter several factors. Fueling and turbo psi to name a few. Your car will be calling for more fuel to give you that extra power.

Did you work out the mpg difference by hand? From my understanding the car likely isn't displaying the correct mpg usage.

Comment

The first question I would ask is have you gone to a reputable tuner?
      Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

Sound like you had it done at home from the way you say
        "They then arranged for the technician to come back and put in a new map, "
        I may be wrong but it wasn't a phantom flasher was it ? A man with a hard-on laptop?
        I cannot comment on thease kind of practices first hand but from what I've read they do gather the information from your ecu .it gets sent via there laptop to there "HQ" where one of there technical people writes a new map.
        and its downloaded to your car ,
        Were your astras automatic?
        what sort of increase in mpg were they offering you?
        I don't believe you can have a mixture of power and economy when increasing base map. You are going to have to sacrifice one for the other.
        have you checked the basics for cleanliness? Like the, MAP ,MAF AND EGR

.K.M.P.C.U
        YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Originally posted by 0011728 View Post
          The first question I would ask is have you gone to a reputable tuner?
          Yes a well known National tuner

Comment

Originally posted by lizzard-t View Post
            Sound like you had it done at home from the way you say
            "They then arranged for the technician to come back and put in a new map, "
            I may be wrong but it wasn't a phantom flasher was it ? A man with a hard-on laptop?
            I cannot comment on thease kind of practices first hand but from what I've read they do gather the information from your ecu .it gets sent via there laptop to there "HQ" where one of there technical people writes a new map.
            and its downloaded to your car ,
            Were your astras automatic?
            what sort of increase in mpg were they offering you?
            I don't believe you can have a mixture of power and economy when increasing base map. You are going to have to sacrifice one for the other.
            have you checked the basics for cleanliness? Like the, MAP ,MAF AND EGR
            Hi and thanks, it was done by a well known company, the technician did it at my home. The astras were all manual. I haven't had it checked yet, l am contacting them tomorrow. Since the 'economy and power' remap the mileage has increased by a couple of mpg but still quite a bit down before the remaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon199102 View Post

The way I see it. Is that you can't have a mix of performance and Eco. The stock map is pretty much that. In the middle of performance and Eco.

When the tuner looks at the ECU they alter several factors. Fueling and turbo psi to name a few. Your car will be calling for more fuel to give you that extra power.

Did you work out the mpg difference by hand? From my understanding the car likely isn't displaying the correct mpg usage.
              Hi and thanks, I am only going by the computer on the mpg. Since the second remap the car is driving totally differently. After the first remap it was holding higher revs before changing gear, l guess that also had a factor in increasing the power, at the detriment to the mpg.
              Now after the last remap it's changing through the gears very quickly so l would have thought that should have increased the mpg but it has only barely. Also to get any speed l have to floor it, totally different to the first remap and when it was originally.

Comment

I got my map done 5 years ago.
                my 140 went to 192 on the rollers.

The performance is spot on as the mid range torque has increased dramatically.
                I also fitted a pedal box, which, eliminates the hesitation on the throttle, but doesn't add power.

Punting about, I can get 45/47 in and around town/school runs etc.
                on a long run, i can return lower 60s with 4 people and all our gear in the boot.

A full tank can get me just over 800 mile range on a long journey.

Comment

Originally posted by RBH View Post
                  I got my map done 5 years ago.
                  my 140 went to 192 on the rollers.

The performance is spot on as the mid range torque has increased dramatically.
                  I also fitted a pedal box, which, eliminates the hesitation on the throttle, but doesn't add power.

Punting about, I can get 45/47 in and around town/school runs etc.
                  on a long run, i can return lower 60s with 4 people and all our gear in the boot.

A full tank can get me just over 800 mile range on a long journey.
                  What engine do you have? Those results are pretty much the same as the previous 3 astras l had, this lnsignia is totally different.

Comment

What engine do you have? Those results are pretty much the same as the previous 3 astras l had, this lnsignia is totally different.
                    2.0 cdti

You have to remember the insignia is far heavier than an astra

Comment

2.0 cdti

You have to remember the insignia is far heavier than an astra
                      Yes of course but l was only using the astras as an example of how those remaps increased the power and mpg. I am now averaging 34mpg and that's driving steady. Before any remapping l was averaging around 46mpg

Comment

Yes of course but l was only using the astras as an example of how those remaps increased the power and mpg. I am now averaging 34mpg and that's driving steady. Before any remapping l was averaging around 46mpg
                        It could be a bad map....it happens.

I'd contact them and see what they say.

Comment

Hi and thanks, I am only going by the computer on the mpg. Since the second remap the car is driving totally differently. After the first remap it was holding higher revs before changing gear, l guess that also had a factor in increasing the power, at the detriment to the mpg.
                          Now after the last remap it's changing through the gears very quickly so l would have thought that should have increased the mpg but it has only barely. Also to get any speed l have to floor it, totally different to the first remap and when it was originally.
                          Likely I would work out your actual MPG. There are many apps on the play / iOS store that ask you to fill the tank to calibrate then work out with how much you fill up the second time and your mileage. I wouldn't trust the factory computer.

Comment

It could be a bad map....it happens.

I'd contact them and see what they say.
                            Hi guys it was indeed a bad map, in fact the original company came out and put a different map in. It hardly made any difference mpg wise. I complained and they refunded me. I then got a local mapping guy to put a new map on and wow, what a difference. Night and day to the first two maps. The car is quicker than standard and on a long run I got 62mpg. So no, all remaps are not the same. cheers

Comment

Glad it all turned out good in the end, meanwhile I can only dream of getting 24mpg

Comment

Working...
                              X