Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put your head to it ... gimme an idea

Hi,

Car is 130 CDTI exclusive 2009. Bought it about 1 month ago.

Town driving, very light foot 29.7 mpg

If you were to have the car, where would you look first?

I haven`t had the chance to take her out the motorway, for a good 100 miles run, but this the consumption town wise.

Monday am going to the mechanic with the car, tell me what should i be expecting for ? Or what should he check ??

Thanks !!!

They are pretty poor around town to be honest, I`m getting between 30 and 33 mpg but mines an auto..
    I want to go out of this world the way i came in...kicking and screaming and covered in somebody elses blood...

Comment

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..... i got better consumption than yours ... .....mine is 29.7 ...

joking aside.... what should the mechanic check ??

Comment

bradleymarky, on 16 January 2014 - 11:24 PM, said:
        They are pretty poor around town to be honest, I`m getting between 30 and 33 mpg but mines an auto..

mine has the stick that you have to mix before it gets into the gear .. it`s manual !!!

Comment

I also have a cdti 130 I reset the mpg jobby every fri when I go for diesel and ive never seen it below 4

4 mpg and have had it upto 57 on a run .I know these are not 100 percent accurate but would be well pissed off if it was this low,hope you get some answers next week
          ​2015 Sri vx line nav Biturbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

When you say "town driving", is it freely moving traffic in a small town, or a traffic light to traffic light crawl in a large town/city?

If the latter, then I think circa 29mpg is probably the best you could expect at this time of year.

Especially if you factor in that it is a heavy car with a lower power engine option, frequent cold starts, heavy use of headlights, screen demister, climate control etc.

Make sure the car has been serviced properly, using the correct oil, clean air filter, correct tyre pressures etc., and that there are no outstanding ECM updates or unaddressed fault codes.

Make sure you are not carrying around unnecessary excess weight, such as accumulated clutter in the luggage compartment.

And, if you are only doing short town trips, don't run around with a full fuel tank. Instead, run it down until the warning light comes on, then only add 15 to 20 litres, or whatever is the minimum you can get by with on a weekly basis. Doing this will mean that you will not be hauling around approx 40kg of fuel that isn't needed. (A full tank of diesel contains about 62kg or 9st 10oz of fuel)
            Elite ST 2.0i Auto. Power Red With All The Toys

Comment

Town driving is London, with short and longer trips, yesterday had a trip in some medium to heavy traffic, averaged 29.7. The tank is not ever full, the boot has only the spare wheel, last time fueled her from Shell (not the v power though).??Am not driving very aggressive, I am quite an old fart when it comes to driving (don't go above the speed limit, don't rev it unnecessary, changing from 2k to 2.5k, mostly driving in the third town wise. I only had a couple of times driving from London (Edgware) to Hatfield on the A1M, but it was not a decissive improvement.

I was thinking the she didn't had a dpf regen but the mechanic and the vaux guy told me is ok....

Had the latest ecm update a week ago.

No codes are present in the dash, I will try to get her read ....

Keep posting ur ideas, maybe there something that is cheap to be fixed ...

Comment

It might be you are having active regens without noticing given the town driving. The regens hit economy.

Comment

Active regens? I am only doing roughly 25 miles per week, not even that many sometimes....I should take her to a spin on the Motorway...how much miles driving until I get a total regen of the dpf ? Or how this thing works ???

Comment

So, regen, I should go on a Sunday, on some motorway, where the speed limit is 70, and than drive it for 20 minutes at 2500 rpm....I should be in the 5th or 4th for this to happen ...cuz if I am in 6th the speed would me much higher...will I notice when the regen will happen ...or ??? What are the simptons of the regen?

When I start the car, the rev needle stays on 1k until the car gets to 90 degrees ..after that stays to 900 ( roughly)...

Comment

and if i find someone who can remove my dpf (software) would that be a good thing or a bad thing for my mpg ? What is the worse it could happen if i remove the dpf ?

Comment

sinless, on 17 January 2014 - 10:23 AM, said:
                        Active regens? I am only doing roughly 25 miles per week, not even that many sometimes....I should take her to a spin on the Motorway...how much miles driving until I get a total regen of the dpf ? Or how this thing works ???

25miles/week?!! Please confirm that wasn't a typo. What is the average journey length? Are we talking 2 - 3 mile hops?

The DPF issue that everyone is banging on about is not the cause of your poor economy, at least not yet. If the weekly mileage is right, it is mostly down to painfully short journeys.

Basically, the engine is never fully warmed up, so it is mechanically tight, the oil is more viscous and the fuel injection is probably never out of warm-up mode. All of which increases fuel consumption.

Bear in mind that the officially tested Urban mpg figure is measured from a cold start at an ambient temperature between 20oC and 30oC (the height of summer for most of the UK)

sinless, on 17 January 2014 - 08:13 AM, said:Am not driving very aggressive, I am quite an old fart when it comes to driving (don't go above the speed limit, don't rev it unnecessary, changing from 2k to 2.5k, mostly driving in the third town wise.

With a diesel, the recommended rpm for economical gear changing is a between 1500 - 1800rpm. Personally, I would stay at the high end of that range, but certainly not as high as 2000.

And if I understand the last part of the sentence correctly, you are in 3rd gear most of the time.

On the face of it, I think you are doing well to average 29mpg.

sinless, on 20 January 2014 - 12:38 AM, said:
                        and if i find someone who can remove my dpf (software) would that be a good thing or a bad thing for my mpg ? What is the worse it could happen if i remove the dpf ?

I hope you are close friend to an MOT tester. Because, as of this month, it will be an automatic fail if the DPF system is removed, bypassed or non-functional. And the new rule is retrospective, so any car that had a DPF fitted as standard is covered. Not just those made after some arbitrary date.

There is some popular opinion out there, that suggests that you would perhaps have been better buying a car with a petrol engine, as it is felt that diesels used predominantly in short cycle driving, lose any economy benefits that they might have over their petrol equivalents.

Comment

You got that right, they are only 25 miles a week, sometimes not even. I don`t use my car to go to work, i go by bus, it`s only half hour with the bus. The car i use it sometimes in the Sunday, when i need to go and pick up my wife or when i have private jobs, mostly London wise and sometimes Hatfiled (on the a1 m) or Welwyn garden city.

I only opted for a diesel, because during the year, we will have some long trips abroad, France, Spain, Italy, Romania ...

Probably, my car is not even getting hot enough and this must be one of the reasons. Will go today at the mechanic, even because my breaks seams to be a little bit soft and we will see what he is saying also.

The car has been read for codes and had the software update done a few weeks ago. Probably, i will have to check the filters, but as far as i know has been serviced before i bought it !!!

Will get back to you with any info that i might have, you`ve cleared up some doubts that i had on the consumption and you tought me how i should drive the car . I used to own a vectra, 2.0 dti and always changed somewhere on the 2500 rpm and doing about 35 mpg town wise !!

will get back to you this afternoon !!!

Comment

A soft brake pedal, and "pedal creep" is very common in diesel cars. I have had it from new on my present car, and had it on my previous car too.

It is because they use a vacuum pump to drive the brake servo, instead of a vacuum take-off from the inlet manifold as in petrol engines.

The increased servo effect can sometimes overpower the master cylinder, forcing brake fluid to bypass the piston seals.

I understand why that can cause the pedal to creep under sustained foot pressure. But, I have never been clear as to why it should result in a generally soft brake pedal

I have never had any difficulty stopping the car, but I would like to feel a bit more feedback through the pedal, especially under light braking.

Comment

DeaniFLHT, on 20 January 2014 - 05:30 PM, said:
                              A soft brake pedal, and "pedal creep" is very common in diesel cars. I have had it from new on my present car, and had it on my previous car too.

It is because they use a vacuum pump to drive the brake servo, instead of a vacuum take-off from the inlet manifold as in petrol engines.

The increased servo effect can sometimes overpower the master cylinder, forcing brake fluid to bypass the piston seals.

I understand why that can cause the pedal to creep under sustained foot pressure. But, I have never been clear as to why it should result in a generally soft brake pedal

I have never had any difficulty stopping the car, but I would like to feel a bit more feedback through the pedal, especially under light braking.

the car is ok, i am just paranoid, after testings and testings the mechanic told me that the consumption is ok, for the car and for the weather. should improve as soon as i start to learn the car better and after i take it to a spin on the motorway, at least that is what he said !!! I still wish to have a better consumption ...but that can be achieved in time ...maybe with a remap !! maybe... if my wife doesn`t kill me first !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X