Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOT test with frozen washer jets

Happy New Year guys,

car is booked in for MOT test on tuesday at 9:00am. I have done my own pre test checks and I know that windscreen washer system is working okay. However, freezing temperature will mean that system will now be frozen solid. Car is parked in street and will not have much use before test.

If the system is frozen and will not deliver water to the screen will this lead to a failure, an advisory or will weather conditions be taken into account?

Very best wishes for 2021 and hope for a better year.

Can you not put a good quality washer fluid in like prestones, goes well into the minus numbers bud...

Comment

Originally posted by Lizard View Post
      Can you not put a good quality washer fluid in like prestones, goes well into the minus numbers bud...
      Thank you for your excellent advice. I always add concentrated fluid when topping up but I think it may be too late and the system is already frozen solid. However, I will get Prestone tomorrow and try and thaw it out..

Comment

Think iirc the one i have goes down to minus 15 or 20 bud...

Comment

Any thoughts on MOT if washer system is frozen?

Comment

Would have thought its a failure as, if its on the car it should be working, not what you ideally want to hear but better prepared than not...

Comment

Originally posted by Lizard View Post
              Would have thought its a failure as, if its on the car it should be working, not what you ideally want to hear but better prepared than not...
              Thought as much. Still got time to work on it.

Comment

Shirley the mot will take place in a heated environment
                water turns to ice at 0- Celsius. Anything above 0- Celsius will turn back to water .
                so in therory your washers will work .
                but also as soon as they start the car the temperature of the engine running will defrost them
                but if they don't work then it's a failure full stop .
                but they must have some common sense and relise the outside temperature has caused the problem

10-4 whisey washey

.K.M.P.C.U
                YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

I think they expect you to prepare for the weather conditions that you are likely to experience by putting in a suitable fluid to account for the temperatures. Lizzard T is right, they defrost within 10 mins if you have not used pure water so the drive to the test centre will thaw them. Just start the car and leave it running for a bit before you leave for the centre. My tester said that he would retry at the end of the test as he normally does it at the start and would then give an advisory on the fluid if it worked at the end.

Comment

Overnight temperature is about minus 7 degrees C. MOT test is booked for 9:00am. It was a bit milder today so I have managed to defrost washer bottle and pipelines. Jets are also working. I have put in a concentrated washer fluid which freezes at minus 16 degrees. I should be okay as far as washers are concerned.
                    Thanks for all advice.

Comment

Working...
                    X