Knocking from rear suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knocking from rear suspension

Hi guys. First post on here but wanted to try to get to the bottom of this. On my 2014 facelift siggy I have a knocking when i go over speedbumps, rough ground etc. I have replaced both rear anti roll drop links and both bushes. Checked all I can see with the thing jacked up on stands, barring all joints on all arms and links. Checked all under body pans and covers, and also no result from checking exhaust system, but still I have the clonk! Any ideas would be great thanks in advance.

Have you checked the strut top mounts?
    ​​​

Comment

Got to say no to that... Also saw another reply saying I cant check ARB bushes when jacked up... Thought that may be the case as all seems tight as hell when up in the air! I know my way around a car when it comes to maintenance and repairs, have fixed all my own motors since i started driving but as the cars get newer, im getting older and less liable to know whats going on with most modern motors hence the question! Ok so i need to check strut tops.... Is this with it on the ground then?

Comment

Originally posted by The DJ Trixta View Post
        Got to say no to that... Also saw another reply saying I cant check ARB bushes when jacked up... Thought that may be the case as all seems tight as hell when up in the air! I know my way around a car when it comes to maintenance and repairs, have fixed all my own motors since i started driving but as the cars get newer, im getting older and less liable to know whats going on with most modern motors hence the question! Ok so i need to check strut tops.... Is this with it on the ground then?
        Yeah..... Just outta bed mate ( on night shift ) and didn't read it right so I edited it.

Yeah, suspension can't be checked when jacked up.

Check then top mounts while on the ground buddy.....both front and back.

It's usually after checking everything and all is ok, the strut top mounts are usually the culprits.

Get someone to sit in and Rock the steering from left to right, as this is done, be at the top mounts to listen to them for noise/clicking and put the palm.of your hand on them to feel for movement.

Comment

Ahh fair enough mate, that sounds like a plan. I shall get on the case over the weekend and report back. Thankyou for the steer sir and have a good afternoon! I have a few other issues with the beast but realise im in the wrong section of the forum for the questions... I will be posting shortly. Cheers again!

Comment

Originally posted by The DJ Trixta View Post
            Ahh fair enough mate, that sounds like a plan. I shall get on the case over the weekend and report back. Thankyou for the steer sir and have a good afternoon! I have a few other issues with the beast but realise im in the wrong section of the forum for the questions... I will be posting shortly. Cheers again!
            No worries buddy

Comment

Upper link arm. The bendy one. Been there done that. About 35. The bush will look and feel OK when jacked up but its the outer bush that fails.

Comment

Thanks pal, all good info for me to look into the problem further... Will be diving in over at the weekend for further investigation now that ive got a bit more direction. Thanks to all that have commented here.

Comment

Hi guys, just to report back, it turned out to be both rear upper suspension arms (the bendy ones) and the outer bush was indeed worn and knocking. Arms were around 70 per side from euro car parts. So with this knock sorted it has now made another knock from the front nearside more apparent. Im wondering wether this might be a wheel bearing or maybe strut top mount as you can hear a knock if you grab the top of the wheel and pull back and forth. Any ideas on this one please?

Comment

Are you getting any movement in other directions, i.e side to side and from the bottom? As well as wheel bearing or top mount it could also be ball joint, track rods ends or control arms

Sent from my J8110 using Tapatalk

Comment

No mate, just the top to bottom movement. All other joints are sound but this is an obvious clonk when you grip the top of the wheel and push pull with it on the ground. Nothing is obviously worn or has play. Personally i think its wheel bearing as i think its droaning when coasting along low speed.

Comment

Ok well does sound like wheel bearing, just to make sure jack the car up on that corner and rotate the wheel slowly and listen for any unusual noises and feel for any roughness

Comment

Originally posted by Iceman205 View Post
                          Ok well does sound like wheel bearing, just to make sure jack the car up on that corner and rotate the wheel slowly and listen for any unusual noises and feel for any roughness

Thanks iceman, you have confirmed my suspicions so ill get on the case and have a look when i get another moment. Cheers mate!

Comment

No worries, hope you get it sorted pal

Comment

Working...
                            X