Space saver wheel size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space saver wheel size

Bought 2016 insignia cdti 2.0 that comes with the pump and foam (no spare wheel)
    as i do a lot of milage would prefer space saver spare (no room for full wheel)
    17”on tyres so bought 17” spacesaver that was advertised to fit insignia although wheel says opel panopa
    Space saver seems a lot smaller outside dia
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Aberdeenshire lad View Post
    Bought 2016 insignia cdti 2.0 that comes with the pump and foam (no spare wheel)
    as i do a lot of milage would prefer space saver spare (no room for full wheel)
    17”on tyres so bought 17” spacesaver that was advertised to fit insignia although wheel says opel panopa
    Space saver seems a lot smaller outside dia
    A space saver isn't a direct replacement.
    its a get you out of jail card.

It goes on the car......on the rear only I may add...to get you home/off the motorway and get you straight to a tyre place so you can get the puncture fixed or tyre replaced.

It's no designed to be run like a normal tyre and the max speed you can do with this on is 50/60mph.

Comment

Originally posted by RBH View Post

A space saver isn't a direct replacement.
      its a get you out of jail card.

It goes on the car......on the rear only I may add...to get you home/off the motorway and get you straight to a tyre place so you can get the puncture fixed or tyre replaced.

It's no designed to be run like a normal tyre and the max speed you can do with this on is 50/60mph.
      Yes but the wheel size is different by a few inches and i mean diameter not width this cant be right

Comment

• Andyk
        Andyk commented
        Editing a comment
        Just a heads up and might be worth checking the wheel on first. I bought space saver advertised as coming from an Insignia for my Elite tourer. Luckily I tried it first before putting it in the boot. Although the stud pattern was the same it was fouling the brake caliper. I would have been stuffed if I had needed it at the side of the M1. I ended up buying a standard steel wheel from Germany and getting a part used tyre to fit. The guy off ebay gave me the money back for the space saver, but told me to keep the jack kit that came with it. So ended up a winner in the end.

Fraid so pal, as Rab has said they aren't a direct replacement. My space saver isn't the same size as my wheels, it's enough to get you home.

Sent from my J8110 using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes but the wheel size is different by a few inches and i mean diameter not width this cant be right
        It's a get me home implement.

You must have seen other cars in the road using them????

It's not to be run/used long term.
        It's an emergency item.

I'd rather have that than one of them bloody useless inflating kits with the gel/foam.

If you don't like the space saver, buy a full size steel wheel.

Comment

i think a 17 inch steel rim is your best option,just incase you get a un fixable puncture,,,say 100mls from home,or out of garage hrs.....ive used a space saver before,and without the speed restriction,imo they dont feel safe at all....only downside to a full size spare is,youll need boot floor risers to lift the boot carpet to accomodate it,,but they are not expensive,even from dealers
          ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

They are all the same size, smaller diameter than the wheel they are to replace and I would only fit it to the rear, it's a temporary fix just to get you home or to a garage, I use a 17inch full size spare instead of these - - - Dave

Comment

I ran a spacesaver for a week doing hundreds of miles on a Vauxhall astra 1.9 diesel never noticed they were smaller on diameter
              you learn something new every day

Comment

I personally don't like them, I'm sorting some boot risers so I can fit a full size rim on mine

Sent from my J8110 using Tapatalk

Comment

Wouldn't have one in mine, did so when I got the car but soon got rid and have a 17inch full size spare now---Dave

Comment

I'm lucky,mines brand new never been used......................that's it i've done it now,look out this week!!!!!
                    Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
                    Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

They are called a space saver due to the fact that they don't take up as much space as a full sized wheel .
                      though I would rather have that than thease new cars with a electric pump and a bottle of KY jelly to fill your tyre with
                      to be honest if you had a really knackered tyre woukd that kit work ?
                      i always make sure I purchase a full size spare .

3-56 keep on insigniaring!

.K.M.P.C.U
                      YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

I always thought spacesaver wheels were narrow but never knew they were small on diameter

would think running 3 wheels on ground and one potentially off ground (i know especially at a corner would go against safety rules but apparently not
                        and could cause damage with two wheels different height on axle or am i missing something

Comment

I always thought spacesaver wheels were narrow but never knew they were small on diameter

would think running 3 wheels on ground and one potentially off ground (i know especially at a corner would go against safety rules but apparently not
                          and could cause damage with two wheels different height on axle or am i missing something
                          They won't cause any major damage as they're to be removed asap off the car.

I've a space saver, inflator kit and a full size spare.
                          I never use the inflator kit, the space saver is only put in the boot if I'm loading up to head south to see family as I usually take a boot load of plain loaves, pies, Bridie's, haggis etc....then my granddaughter's buggy etc...so the extra space is needed.

The full size wheel with boot risers are in other that these occasions.

Comment

As max bypass once said "I'm going to tell you a story "
                            i had 2 members of my family ( or should I say idiots of my family though looking at me I don't know how they became so idiotic)
                            who ran there cars with a space saver wheel due to punctures for months on end and even thaught it woukd be fantastic to allow my grandchildren to be in the car with them whitest hooning around on basically a wheelbarrow sized wheel .
                            because they could not afford to by a replacement tyre
                            though they could afford to smoke and drink.
                            once I got wind of this ,I just told them the errors of there way and the safety aspect,and the fact that there insurance would be null and void if god forbid they were involved in an accident and they were putting my grandchildrens life at risk !
                            i just paid for them both to get a new tyre .peace of mind in my head .
                            they don't seem to relise that the only thing between the car and the road is a bit of rubber.
                            the space saver though a good device is just a "get you home " device.
                            anyway once again a fantastic thread
                            carry on peeps .

23-67 minimum tread depth!

.K.M.P.C.U
                            YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Working...
                            X