Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions on Lift/Support Points - Insignia B?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on Lift/Support Points - Insignia B?

Looking for a bit of advice from anyone who has worked on their Insignia B where they stick the axle stands after lifting the car.

The only lift/support points according to the manual are the notches out of the pinch welds front & back but I see at the back there is a bit jutting out with a hole that looks like a lift point and then I could stick the axle stand under the pinch weld. Any ideas if it actually is a lift point, or anyone used it? The metal seems quite thick and some primer has been rubbed off it so Im guessing someones had it up there before.

Also at the front there are two notches out of the pinch weld, do you think they are both strong enough so that it could be lifted with the large notch then left on an axle stand under the small notch. Manual highlights only the larger notch as a lift point but they both feel the same.

There is also a flat area at the front with a hole in it but I stuck my finger up there and the metal seems thin so I probably wouldn’t lift it on there.

Or any other ideas. Any pictures of where other people stick them greatly appreciated. Its not for crawling under, I have a set of those steel drive up ramps, but just for doing brakes in the near future or any other jobs where the wheels need to come off. Could leave on jack but would rather stick some stands under it also.

I put up some pictures of what I am talking about hopefully they have come out okay.

Well what i normally do is head for the nearest trailing arm on the rear or chassis rail same on the front
    , those are there for strength,
    the jacking points are only really for the jack
    And if you use a axel stand it may well peen the metal over and render it unless
    Just a point to note if poking your finger in a hole , make sure you lubricate it first
    There's a hole section here dedicated to suitable ways to enter a hole

5667-56777777 4 play !

.K.M.P.C.U
    YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Thank you for the reply! I will probably stick to putting the axle stands under the rear trailing arms or front subframe. When I had my Volvo I read on VIDA it said not to support the car on any suspension components which made me think I was doing something wrong but it never did it any harm.

Shame I cant find anything like VIDA for this age of GM car as it gave all the info you could ever really want.

Comment

I have 2010 insignia

Just sharing what has worked for me ie in my 3 years of ownership the car has never crushed me. I use the sills for jack and axle stands. Usually jack off the wee plastic pads on the sill and put the stand on the more sturdy looking notch on the basis I'd rather the car fall off jack than stand. O think according to Mr haynes both the notch and pads are acceptable ie reinforced jacking areas. If I have fron undertray off I use subframr for jacking and axle stands if I want and also rear beam

I never work under car with only one stand each side I always have atlesst 2 whete one takes the weight. The other is raised as close as I can get to sill then slid towards the unpacked side tk create a wedge. I also leave trolley javk in place and any wheel that comes off gets thrown under somewhere that won't get in the way

Hope this helps a bit

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

Comment

Same here,jack up on the reinforced jacking points and I use two axle stands,one near the sill jacking point and the other on a good solid point like the chassis rail.Be suprised how much you pull/push when doing a job like brakes etc.
          Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
          Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

A bra .
            Pretty little things do some , but there's holes where nipples go ....................... Weird !
            Sorry wrong forum !

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

.K.M.P.C.U
            YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Originally posted by lizzard-t View Post
              A bra .
              Pretty little things do some , but there's holes where nipples go ....................... Weird !
              Sorry wrong forum !

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
              Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
              Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Working...
              X