Wheel Bearing Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Bearing Question.

By the sound of it, the rear wheel bearings are on the way out on my 100,000 mile CDTi . Although all four wheels spin smoothly and without any play when jacked up, when driving at 20-30mph the droning from the rear is quite pronounced and again quite noticeable at around 60. I am inclined to say that the rears are the culprit (rather than the fronts) because it sounds like rear, and cornering has no affect on the noise. New tyres have made no difference.
    When searching the forum for posts relating to “wheel bearings”, there seems to be a higher incidence of REAR bearings being replaced rather than fronts. Now is it my imagination, or are the rears more prone to wear rather than the fronts for some reason, despite them being subjected to extra loading from driving and steering?

Thanks, Barry.

Originally posted by Bulleteer View Post
    By the sound of it, the rear wheel bearings are on the way out on my 100,000 mile CDTi . Although all four wheels spin smoothly and without any play when jacked up, when driving at 20-30mph the droning from the rear is quite pronounced and again quite noticeable at around 60. I am inclined to say that the rears are the culprit (rather than the fronts) because it sounds like rear, and cornering has no affect on the noise.
    When searching the forum for posts relating to “wheel bearings”, there seems to be a higher incidence of REAR bearings being replaced rather than fronts. Now is it my imagination, or are the rears more prone to wear rather than the fronts for some reason, despite them being subjected to extra loading from driving and steering?

Thanks, Barry.
    Not sure about rear being more prone to go as I've only done front in mine.

Strange issue that they spin well by hand and have no perceptible play yet drone under load while up to speed.

Not sure about its safety but u could maybe rule in or out the fron by supporting front on axle stands then using accelerator to spin wheels. Not something I've ever done but seen guys do it on YouTube. Could well be the same boys who open beer tins with their molars though

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't rule out tyres as well!

.K.M.P.C.U
      YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Originally posted by lizzard-t View Post
        Don't rule out tyres as well!
        Just edited my original post to say that I tried new tyres, but they made no difference.

Cheers anyway.

Comment

If you asked me where most (Tyre) noise comes from when cruising. I'd say the back, but the bearings check out OK.
          Sport Touror Elite 163

Dave

Comment

Working...
          X