No announcement yet.

What do you guys do for a living

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool idea for a thread. Really enjoyed reading what everyone does for a living and all united virtually through our love for these cars

I'm an analyst for a law firm here in Northern Ireland. Been in that role for just over two years ( I'm 27) before that I had various jobs in the retail sector and also worked briefly in a Pharmacy

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RB02259 View Post
      Cool idea for a thread. Really enjoyed reading what everyone does for a living and all united virtually through our love for these cars

I'm an analyst for a law firm here in Northern Ireland. Been in that role for just over two years ( I'm 27) before that I had various jobs in the retail sector and also worked briefly in a Pharmacy

27.......I've got older Y fronts ffs

Comment

I worked for a removal company for 9 years mostly on the military contract moving soldiers and family back and forth from Europe mainly Germany. Whilst travelling my job was reading the map and sleeping.
        I saved for my class 2 whilst doing that job but didn't drive abroad.

Then I drove a 7.5 tonne delivering and installing furniture for M&S. I did that job for five years whilst saving for my class 1.

I passed my class 1 and started driving self-employed on an agency for 4 years

I'm currently employed and coming up to 3 years at warburtons driving class 1. I sleep in my own bed every night and have a pretty good shift pattern. I like working for them they respect their drivers.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Comment

Im a railway fella. Got various tickets so do various roles and we mainly do renewals drainage and anything todo with the track. Worked all over the place too so get to see the country

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm a Forrester, I work for an estate and manage plantations, basically cutting down poor growing trees to give the surrounding trees a better chance. Which means I also process a lot of firewood. I love it after 10 years of fish farming!
            2011 2.0 cdti ecoflex excnav
            honeycomb grill, squinty eyes, custom lettering, honeycomb custom fog grills, custom lower centre grill, full black back tints, chrome door knobs, rear wiper removed, custom back badge, custom DRLs, custom diffuser, custom wing, stage 1 remap, pipercross air kit, 210bhp 440nm torque, more on the way

Comment

Originally posted by RBH View Post

27.......I've got older Y fronts ffs
              Hahaha

Comment

I'm in IT Support, worked for Royal Mail before they sold the IT off to a big American company but was still just up the road from where i lived which was handy. Was ok until we seemed to get an annual redundancy run and then in 2018 whilst i was just starting my 6 months off with my daughter i was put in the firing line and end up going. Ended up being off until November including nearly a month in France before spending 5 weeks as a postie on a temp basis. Very nearly ended up doing it full time but they offered me a permanent role 48 hours after i'd accepted another IT job for a small company in Derby. Made me realise that i stayed in my old IT job only for the fact it was close to home, now doing loads of different stuff compared to just doing office based remote work before. Commute is better than it was currently which is a bonus, taking me about 25 mins less to get to work and home again!!

Comment

IT Support in Secondary Education. (Crap IT Job, working in education is shite)

IN MEMORY OF NIGHTSCREAM THE 1.6 TURBO SRI NAV
                  Now driving - Mazda 6 Tourer SE-L Lux Nav+ 2.0 143 Skyactiv-G

Comment

Originally posted by sriray View Post
                    IT Support in Secondary Education. (Crap IT Job, working in education is shite)
                    I applied for a job doing that once, private school so would have been shifts to cover boarding students being there at weekends etc. Looking back i'm glad it came to nothing.

Comment

It's interesting how people's career expectations have had to change over the years. I left school at 18 with A levels, indentured for 4 years at Croydon council as a trainee civil engineering technician, ONC & HNC, 2 more years there until I moved north to Humberside, where I worked for 17 years. Then 8 years for another council (Kirklees) before shifting to the private sector, where I spent 16 years with an engineering consultancy in their Manchester and Leeds offices before retiring in 2017. Continuous employment in the same industry for 47 years, only 4 employers.
                      i feel sorry for younger people now, where there is less confidence that their chosen vocation will even exist in the future.
                      2018 1.5T SRi Nav
                      Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

Comment

Originally posted by PeteH View Post
                        It's interesting how people's career expectations have had to change over the years. I left school at 18 with A levels, indentured for 4 years at Croydon council as a trainee civil engineering technician, ONC & HNC, 2 more years there until I moved north to Humberside, where I worked for 17 years. Then 8 years for another council (Kirklees) before shifting to the private sector, where I spent 16 years with an engineering consultancy in their Manchester and Leeds offices before retiring in 2017. Continuous employment in the same industry for 47 years, only 4 employers.
                        i feel sorry for younger people now, where there is less confidence that their chosen vocation will even exist in the future.
                        I sort of stumbled into IT to be honest and then never got out of it bar the 10 months off not working with my little girl when my wife and i split the maternity\paternity leave and 5 weeks as a postie. I did my A-Levels and had no idea what i wanted to do but i wasnt keen on uni. I got a temp job at Royal Mail assisting on a project through my dad who worked at Royal Mail and then never left. Started week before my 18th in 1994 and did about 3 years on a temp contract before finally being made permanent. Had various roles mainly in a support capacity for different things before stumbling onto an Application Support\Development\Demo type role because no one else in the team fancied doing all the travelling. From there IT Support was it and i've never really had any formal training bar the odd training course with Royal Mail and my new place, the american lot in between werent big on spending money on that sort of thing.

Comment

Mechanical / electrical pump engineer. Like others sort of just happened. Was doing a diploma in engineering, but wanted to work so quit the course.
                          12 years learning my trade, repair, installation, hire, office side etc etc.
                          Wanted to work for a water authority so went to Biffa who at the time was owned by Severn Trent Water. 5 years doing STW work then we got transferred over into STW. Another 5 years and I'd had enough of the back stabbing. Next 2.5 years as a service engineer covering the whole of the UK looking after pump stations and sewerage plants, installing full systems, electrical and mechanical, plc programming wtc. 2000 miles a week most weeks. Then a couple of years at a big national mechanical / electrical repair centre (Erik's), then head hunted to a competitor doing same work for just over a year then got made redundant. Needed something quick so applied for a job with an agency, turned out to be a process operater at the Steel works. Was a 6 month contract but I left after 3 years. Was a great job, shift work basically every 21 days worked o got 14 off. Now back to doing what I started in life, repairing pumps and accociated equipment. Still do some electrical installation s and a few call outs and site jobs. Knees can't take it now thou.
                          Would like to finish my working life off where I am, but on these days it's pure lottery.

P30 lite using Tapatalk

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
                          Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

That was my view this morning when I opened the curtains 😂😂😂😂😂

Comment

Originally posted by bransoj View Post

I applied for a job doing that once, private school so would have been shifts to cover boarding students being there at weekends etc. Looking back i'm glad it came to nothing.
                              And it was the right choice you made

Comment

Originally posted by PeteH View Post
                                No job for life anymore Pete. Even if you like the job/company they will somewhere down the line make you redundant.

Comment

Working...
                                X