Be Aware mobile Scam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be Aware mobile Scam

I hope this is ok to post it, little warning about latest scam as my poor mum found out.

Someone claiming to be from carphonewarehouse phoned her on Friday 22/01 offering deal on mobile upgrade, cut long story short she went for it, next day phone has bee delivered to her house address and once she opened it notice is the wrong phone, 5 min later got call again and they said you have received the phone but unfortunately we have made a mistake and sent you the wrong phone, then they asked her to sent the phone she has received to address in Birmingham claiming to be the return warehouse and she should receive the correct phone by Tuesday, spoken to her today and she said her phone didn't arrive so I asked her to phone carphonewarehouse, well you know where this is going, they said they never spoken to her. Phone the carrier and they confirmed new contract has been setup ect. so now is in hands of the fraud team, but she needs to change all bank accounts ect. just nightmare been honest.

She has sent that phone by recorded delivery and they made a mistake when they asked her to address to MR Jack, I can't see them picking this up as I'm sure you need full name so fingers cross at some stage RM will return this to her so she can return to carrier provider.

******* Scum.

Hope your mam is ok mate and all gets sorted ASAP.

Comment

Apparently they have up to 14 days to investigate, at least they have emailed her few times with details ect. so she has some written proof, my concern is they have all bank details not just card number, technically speaking they can apply for all sorts so she spoken to bank and has to go visit see them as they can't close the account or change over phone, not so easy to someone who is in poor health and I she is 150 miles away.

Comment

Originally posted by ade555 View Post
        Apparently they have up to 14 days to investigate, at least they have emailed her few times with details ect. so she has some written proof, my concern is they have all bank details not just card number, technically speaking they can apply for all sorts so she spoken to bank and has to go visit see them as they can't close the account or change over phone, not so easy to someone who is in poor health and I she is 150 miles away.
        The bank should be able to put a freeze on her account, that will just mean you need to confirm what direct debit or standing orders you want left active ( this can stay in place indefinitely). The other way of doing it is to set up online banking for her so that you can do all this online.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ade555 View Post
          under the circumstances they could have dealt with this over the phone and closed the accounts............bloody aresholes.

Comment

All I can say Ade is we can all be wise after the event .
            but thease jar heads are fleecing poor unsuspecting people who think thease are genuine people.
            it happens every day .
            im just so sorry for your mum who's probably worried out of her mind because they now have her bank details.
            I don't normally bring personal things into the forum because it is just that ,personal.and I try to keep things positive.
            but my wife got stung by someone phoning her about extending the warranty on our new washing machine,it came with a 10 year warranty that I had set up .
            but thease fuzzies rang her up offering to extend the warranty for 10 years ,yep she gave them all the bank details,she thaught it was a good idear ,until she put the phone down .
            then she panicked and rang the bank ,what a pullover that was !
            But I must say a big thank you to ADE for bringing this to the forums attention,because this could happen to someone else.

0-4 numb sculls!

.K.M.P.C.U
            YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Email address they have used to supply all information was info@carphoneswareshouse.com so unless you looking directly on this address is very hard to spot it, all the usual markings ect. on headers, so on face of it you wouldn't notice it is something wrong. Just wanted you bring all this to attention and hopefully will save someone a headeck in future.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Comment

They don't care who they target,lower than low,hope your mum gets sorted quickly.
                Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
                Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

B4stards! It's never ending all this. Whether the bank close or freeze the account or not. Once you have made them aware. Any money taken after that they have to give you back. Happened to my sister over slimming tables after she bought them through a link from an ad on facebook. All seemed well. She even received her pills but then money started disappearing out of her account. Long story short. They were taking the odd £20 here the odd £20 there. It added to a couple of hundred quid by the time she realised. Told bank who said they couldn't do anything about is but wouldn't let any more go out to them. After a while they started taking money again. Got to over 400 quid before she realised but this time the bank were made to pay it all back.

It's just never ending....I got an HSBC text mesage yesterday saying a new payee request has been created from an unknown device click the link to accept or cancel blah blah blah....I've never banked with HSBC.thead
                  2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

yep tell your mum not to overthink it/ worry too much , it happens to the most astute of us,either knowingly or not !!!
                    dean.m

Comment

Sh*t heads. If you are unaware is so easy to fall victim. Can happen to anyone and just need to catch someone off guard.
                      It's getting worst, it was first you get those crap through post, then telephone then sms then email. Its never ending, and their tactics are getting better and more advanced.

Another thing that annoys me is when you call up a company like car insurance to access your account and they ask you personal details like your full name, address, date of birth. you feel so exposed you are giving this person on the other end (even though they are legit) all this personal information. Instead they should ask for the 3rd, 5th letter of the street name. and same with date of birth with digits. Long winded but you wouldnt feel like you are giving them full info but they can see this on their screen you just confirming details with them in a secure manner. This call can also be made whilst you are at work sharing same office with colleague, so your colleague won't over hear all those personal details.

Comment

She is sort of down a bit and can't understand why would anyone want to scam someone like that, internet, online banking ect comes lot easier to younger generation and you are lot more aware what can be done on line ect., is the aftermath of the events what stays, constant monitoring if someone is trying to use your details for something, the knowing it self that someone out there might use your details is frightening alone, I think is just to easy to obtain anything on line at the moment. Bank has advice to leave the account open and monitor not sure why would they advise that.

Also reported this on actionfraud.police.uk not sure if this will help with anything.

Me posting this on here is just to highlight the latest scam and how they going on about it, the more people are aware of this the better.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X