This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum etiquette

Seems like there is a sudden influx of new members who launch straight into the forum with something like: "hi, just joined the forum, can someone tell me why the doogleflip attached to the manifold flange makes a noise a bit like water dripping from the squall reaper?". Whilst it's understandable that they may need an urgent answer, wouldn't it be polite to firstly introduce themselves in the 'new member introductions' section, maybe with a bit of background (e.g. car model, year etc, or even some photos of their new motor), then post into a relevant forum for their particular problem? This also means that extended discussion about doogleflips can be found more easily in future, rather than having to navigate the 'new member introductions' section.

Just a thought
    Last edited by PeteH; 28-12-2019, 01:21 PM.
    2018 1.5T SRi Nav
    Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

Originally posted by PeteH View Post
    Seems like there is a sudden influx of new members who launch straight into the forum with something like: "hi, just joined the forum, can someone tell me why the doogleflip attached to the manifold flange makes a noise a bit like water dripping from the squall reaper?". Whilst it's understandable that they may need an urgent answer, wouldn't it be polite to firstly introduce themselves in the 'new member introductions' section, maybe with a bit of background (e.g. car model, year etc, or even some photos of their new motor), then post into a relevant forum for their particular problem? This also means that extended discussion about doogleflips can be found more easily in future, rather than having to navigate the 'new member introductions' section.

Just a thought
    Well bloody said Pete...………….but...……….will the new member read this???
    I think not.

As it seems, there's no introduction from them now...………..especially recently, its straight into the forum with their issue.

They just join up, post the problem, wait on an answer and some don't even follow it up with a quick thanks.

This is the reason I don't respond to these type of posts, as you know they only come on here to get a sensible answer coz FACEACHE cant.

As ive stated before, you only get out a forum what you put in.

In past forums ive been a member of, you had to have a certain amount of posts before you could do anything on them...….maybe it should be the same on here.

I know this is a really relaxed forum, but why should we impart knowledge to a newbie, who is never heard from again...…..until their next problem arises and their straight on here posting up again.

Comment

Would be good, but some people need an answer right there and then, so they do it all in one to save themselves the time. If they gave themselves a little more time to browse the forum, they may even find the answer before asking. I feel the same as you PeteH
      LED interior lights. Chrome mirror caps & door handle covers. LED reverse light bulbs. Pedal box. Atomic Alloys. Steel Structure spare wheel. Boot floor risers. Rear exit exhaust & rear valance. M Y ‘15’ front grille.

Comment

Ok I've added it to the forum rules.

- Be courteous to other members.

- All issues and questions should be posted in the relevant sections (Please don't post issues/questions in the welcome section).​

- No swearing outside of the NSFW section (masking is acceptable).

- Follow selling rules (can be seen in the Classifieds section).

Now if you see a new member posting questions in the new member introduction you can point them to the sticky which they should have already read.
        2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

I used to jump straight in and advise/help if I could---unfortunately these days I tend to step back and see what happens---its the same on the other forums---an answer is needed straight away from the new members even when some put the posts up in the middle of the night------Dave

Comment

you should stipulate on when a new member is signing up, they MUST post an introduction first and state their location....as this helps bigtime.
            also make it clear that the introduction section is not to discuss problems with their flux capacitor, nuclear warhead or their haemorrhoids.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1419 View Post
              I used to jump straight in and advise/help if I could---unfortunately these days I tend to step back and see what happens---its the same on the other forums---an answer is needed straight away from the new members even when some put the posts up in the middle of the night------Dave
              that's because they're isn't anyone on faceache who knows the issue...…...they jump on here and want an remedy instantly

Comment

Hi I'm a new member and yes I have had a read of this whole thread and just like a lot of new members like myself we are at a dead end with our problems this is why I've turned to some people who may of had the same issues so sorry if I'm running before I walk

Comment

Originally posted by Rolo View Post
                  Hi I'm a new member and yes I have had a read of this whole thread and just like a lot of new members like myself we are at a dead end with our problems this is why I've turned to some people who may of had the same issues so sorry if I'm running before I walk
                  nothing personal but it just pisses me and lot more members of when it happens.

join up, introduce yourself, then do a search ( the search bar is at the top ) or if you don't want this, do a google search....google search usually finds the answer and 99 times out of 100 will direct you onto the thread on this forum.
                  if the intensive search brings nothing...……….then post in the relevant sections.....easy and everyone will be happy.

Comment

Sooo... What about the problem I'm having with my doogleflip?
                    2018 1.5T SRi Nav
                    Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

Comment

at your age...……….. its only for peeing out of now.

Comment

Originally posted by RBH View Post
                        at your age...……….. its only for peeing out of now.
                        Fair enough!
                        2018 1.5T SRi Nav

Comment

Ok I apologize for trying to help someone in the introduction page .
                          I should try to get out of the habit of doing that .
                          The thing is I try to help where I can but if trying to help someone in there introduction is wrong or unwanted then I shall refrain from doing so and just politely ask them to start a new thread in the relevant work shop section.
                          Once again sorry for me possibly infuriating people.
                          And I shall now follow the rules.
                          All the best
                          Paul.

.K.M.P.C.U
                          YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

You've had it i'm afraid ------Dave

Comment

Working...
                            X