This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Insignia hatch and saloon owners that tow caravans

Hi I am thinking of changing my caravan, I currently tow at 55 % of my Insignias kerb side weight as its an old van. Could anyone who has towed at 83 % or higher please let me know what your experiences have been.

My car is a 2016 2.0 SRI VX-Line

It should tow your new van with ease, just make sure you load properly and your nose weight is as near as possible to the cars limit 85kg. My last trip to Norfolk ment I had to travel along the A47 across the fens, with a very strong side wind, felt it, but nothing to worry about. Tow 1335 kg averaged just under 32mpg
    BUT A WORD OF CAUTION. You say that you are using the kerb weight of your motor in your calculations. MY Insignia Sport has a towing limit of 1600 kg I Athink yours will be the same and this is the figure you use as a limit, as you work out the towing ratio ie 163 ps A20DTH Sport Tourer Kerb Weight 1833kg 85% figure is 1558 just inside the limit so legally OK but this is very near the manufactures limit. As it is mine is 72% 1335kg easy.

I'm guessing a bit because there are nine different CDTI and petrol, engines, plus auto box you don't say which one it is
    Sport Touror Elite 163

Dave

Comment

Hi The mass in service weight of my car as per V5 is 1664kg, its max braked trailer weight is 1800kg. The MTPLM of the van I am looking at is 1453kg and its MRO is 1311kg.

Comment

Wow. Complicated stuff...!
        why not just book into a nice hotel
        sigpic

Comment

Also, check your driving license. In the Netherlands, without a special driving license for towing (E-license), you're limited in how much the trailer might weight. I can only drive with trailers that have a maximum weight of about 1200 kg, because otherwise my license isn't valid anymore. Total allowed weight (car+trailer) should stay below 3500 kg. Don't know the rules in the UK, but you might have to check this.

Comment

Originally posted by SDA View Post
            Hi The mass in service weight of my car as per V5 is 1664kg, its max braked trailer weight is 1800kg. The MTPLM of the van I am looking at is 1453kg and its MRO is 1311kg.
            Hi SDA
            I said I was guessing, was using my own Insignia data which on the V5 is 1833kg as I said 1600kg tow limit. think that reflects the extra kerb wight, approx same weight on gearbox, about 200kg difference on each.
            Will tow that with ease. As easily as your old van

Can I just ask which figure you are use to work out your 83% 1453 is the one you should be using and it is recommended that you don't go over the kerb weight . What type of liecence do you have?
            Sport Touror Elite 163

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Ernst View Post
              Also, check your driving license. In the Netherlands, without a special driving license for towing (E-license), you're limited in how much the trailer might weight. I can only drive with trailers that have a maximum weight of about 1200 kg, because otherwise my license isn't valid anymore. Total allowed weight (car+trailer) should stay below 3500 kg. Don't know the rules in the UK, but you might have to check this.
              SDA
              1664 + 1453 =3117kg If you pass you test after 1997 as above, you must stay at or below the 3500kg so you are ok.
              Or take an extra test tow increase you towing weights.

Same in UK Ernst
              Sport Touror Elite 163

Dave

Comment

Dave 71 thanks for your help. I have an old licence as I am old myself and I have been towing my present caravan for 27 years. I got the 83% from a tow car match site on the car and van, but looking at the figures I would put it at higher at 87%. I work it out using the 1664kg and the vans MTPLM although I doubt I would ever go to that weight.

Comment

Hi SDA
                  I worked it out at 87% that's why I asked. As I said I can not fault Insignia as a tug. Vauxhall don't make it any easier with so many different models. Sorry if I came across a little ------- Thought you were new to towing.

Enjoy you van.
                  Sport Touror Elite 163

Dave

Comment

Dave71 you have not been a little ---- you have been helpful as its always good to get an opinion from someone who has towed and not just looked at the figures and said that's within the limits. £20,000 odd is a lot to spend on a van to then find you can't tow it. The one good thing is the new van when I eventually get it has AL-KO ATC trailer control system on it so that should help. Thanks again for your input.

Comment

What Van have you bought. Have been towing best part of 46 years. Last time I booked an hotel room was on our honeymoon
                      Sport Touror Elite 163

Dave

Comment

I am hoping to get a Bailey Unicorn Madrid 2018

Comment

Im reading this and taking it in.

We are a 2 car family, me with my Insignia and the wife drives a 3.2ltr LWB Shogun... which we obviously use to tow our caravan.

However the Shogun is on a 53 plate and shes looking for another car, she said.... and i quote "Ill buy a new small car you can tow the van in yours"
                          Now im not gonna lie, im not happy about this tbh

When i drive the shogun i feel like i could tow the house to a new site, never mind the caravan, it tows so easy i sometimes forget im towing the van (till i look in the rear view)
                          its a bit of a beast
                          im trying to convince her to get another Shogun, so i dont have to abuse my car haha

Those figures above worry me a little.
                          Being so close to the limit might be ok cruising down a nice flat motorway in nice weather, but what about really bad weather, steep hills or dragging the van through a bumpy muddy farmers fields getting to your camping spot?
                          North Manchester - Diesel 2.0 litre 2013 facelift SRI VX-LINE CDTIA - Nav 900 Intellilink - 19" Diamond Alloys

Comment

You don't say what your Caravan MTPLM is. In Really Bad weather I would choose not to tow, even with your Shogun, after all bad weather can turn a 40 ton Artic over, having said that, my outfit is stable in windy conditions. The towing limit on my motor is 1600 kg MY 63 facelift, on your V5 yours maybe higher. I have a Challenge with a MTPLM of 1350 kg which is just under 85% of said towing limit. At that weight the Insignia will do any thing your shogun will do, apart from the muddy fields bit, although you don't see many of them nowadays, unless you rally. Bearing in mind that it's 2.0lt against 3.5ltr.
                            If your van is above your SRIs towing limit, you have a the perfect set of figures for SWMBO not to tow with the insignia.
                            One Question what it the "A" for after the CDTI never see it before ???
                            Sport Touror Elite 163

Dave

Comment

I've never towed but I'm fascinated by the detail. I remember the Omega won tow car of the year several years running. I loved mine though never towed. Rear wheel drive an advantage. Insignia 'A' is the old Insignia, 'B' being the new Grand Sport.

Comment

Working...
                              X