Replace like for like or go Skoda?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace like for like or go Skoda?

At present I drive an 18 plate Grand Sport, 1.6D Elite with all bells and whistles including extras I particularly wanted inc. Heated Steering Wheel and screen, VXR dark headlining, wireless charging and LED headlights.

The lease is nearly up and I have 3 options.

1. Go for the same again ( I love the car. Powerful enough and economical, still averaging over 50 mpg commuting)
    2. Get a Skoda Superb Hybrid with less toys. Much better on BIK and I can charge it at work (SHHHH).
    3. Take a monthly allowance from the company that will buy me a 2015/6 Skoda Superb Estate in SE L trim (enough toys for me) over 4 years.

If I go with option 3 should I buy a 2.0 Diesel or a 1.4 TSI. I only want a manual.

Heart says 'Sod the diesel go 2.0 TSI!' but I can't afford to lose my license!

Any thought?

You're asking the question on an insignia forum so most answers are bound to be biased toward a new GS. Personally I don't think the Superb is a patch on the Insignia B in the looks department and less toys too makes it a step backwards.

Only you know what you can personally live with though. I'm a bit of a fossil...I still struggle to get past the Skoda badge.
    2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

MR Fat Fred .
      Buy A Saab Job Done !
      No no no in all seriousness Option #1
      I can tell by the way you are writing that , that you want another insignia
      I'm a bit like Paul McKenna , if I click my fingers you will start acting like a chicken!

.K.M.P.C.U
      YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Ultimately it's down to personal choice and what you are going to do with the car. I tow a caravan and wanted an estate with an autobox. The Superb in most trims was too light for me and in any trim that it was heavy enough, basically 4motion, it was a bit pricey. Also the gearbox was the dsg, which is good but not necessarily so for towing and would need regular servicing which at the time was a dealer only option.
        VAG sell on reliability but if you look at it it's mostly their marketing propaganda. I read a survey lately that said 1 in 5 VAG owners reported problems with their cars compared to 1 in 8 for Vauxhall.
        This from a warranty company may also be of interest:
        UK buyers think German cars are among the most reliable on the road, despite our survey data showing many are ‘below average’.

As I said though, its down to personal choice and what you really want versus what is a good deal.

Comment

Can you not buy the car you have currently? Only you've 'owned' it, you know its history & you love it! Or is it not that simple? I ask as I had a lease car from work many years ago, had it for 4 years on the lease & then bought it from the lease company.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew View Post
            Ultimately it's down to personal choice and what you are going to do with the car. I tow a caravan and wanted an estate with an autobox. The Superb in most trims was too light for me and in any trim that it was heavy enough, basically 4motion, it was a bit pricey. Also the gearbox was the dsg, which is good but not necessarily so for towing and would need regular servicing which at the time was a dealer only option.
            VAG sell on reliability but if you look at it it's mostly their marketing propaganda. I read a survey lately that said 1 in 5 VAG owners reported problems with their cars compared to 1 in 8 for Vauxhall.
            This from a warranty company may also be of interest:
            UK buyers think German cars are among the most reliable on the road, despite our survey data showing many are ‘below average’.

As I said though, its down to personal choice and what you really want versus what is a good deal.
            I don't use the car to tow although 2000Kg would be more than adequate for our 'van.
            As a daily drive I wouldn't want an auto, I need to change gear manually, it counts as part of my gym time.

As kentishbloke said the ideal senario would be to buy 'my' car from the leasing co. but they are being &*&£$£%s!

Comment

I'm told the superb is indeed superb. The less toys would put me off. I'd definitely go 2.0T but that's me [emoji23]

What does your gut feeling tell you to do?

Comment

Originally posted by jmagee View Post
                I'm told the superb is indeed superb. The less toys would put me off. I'd definitely go 2.0T but that's me [emoji23]

What does your gut feeling tell you to do?
                Gut says if I don't try the Superb, I will regret it.
                Gut also says that with all the additional toys on top of the normal spec Elite If I buy/lease a GS I will be disappointed.

Pocket says go Hybrid Superb on a lease, Heart wants to own my car.

Looking forward, as I am getting older, I might as well try a different car this time then come back to the GS just in time to retire with it!!!
                All these first world problems, what a dilemma!

Comment

I think you’ve already decided what you want to do but for what it’s worth I’ve owned the mk1 and mk2 superb and they were great cars imo, most space ever in the back and they do very well on mpg. I am on my second insignia now and would say it’s The better car, it looks, drives and feels better but that said I wouldn’t dismiss the superb while you have the chance to run one.

Good luck and I’m sure you’ll be fine either way.

Comment

Working...
                  X