No announcement yet.

How2: Retro-fit larger screenwash tank!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How2: Retro-fit larger screenwash tank!

OK well I've finally got round to doing this, and it is relatively easy to do.

The standard screen wash tank in the Insignia models without AFL/headlamp wash, is pretty small, and empties in no time, especially in winter etc, so you can fit the larger tank from the AFL model cars, which gives you a lot more capacity so you're not refilling the bottle every 5 minutes!

Here is the procedure...

For this job, you will need: (apart from the jack, wheelbrace and torque wrench)

The larger tank - part number 13313667 - £21.06 NEW from GPS

We have the widest range of car parts available in Yorkshire, suitable for all the most popular makes and models. Free UK Delivery available. Shop Online today.

1 x 20mm rubber grommet/blank for blanking the headlight washer pump hole

I bought these - 2x for 99p with free delivery

8mm socket

10mm socket

T-20 Torx bit

OK: here goes...

Firstly helps if the screenwash tank is nearly empty...reduces wastage and spillage etc

Open the bonnet, locate and remove the neck of the screenwash tank...it might be tight but it will come out with an upwards wiggle:

Next, undo wheel nuts, jack the n/s/f up and support the car and remove the wheel.

Now we need to get behind the arch liner, so undo the 3 x T-20 torx screws at the edge near the bumper:

(The bottom one will differ if you have the VX-Line lower spoiler fitted - you don't need to touch the plastic rivet)

Now undo the 8mm bolt from under the bumper and the 4 expanding retainers (The centre pulls out and the clips then pulls out), being careful not to break them, or you'll need replacements:

This should leave the arch liner loose and ready to be manipulated out.....it splits from the back-half near the top-mount, the 'prongs' carefully slide out....and you can them remove the liner, leaving access to the tank etc:

So now we want to get the small tank out...

Undo the 3 x 10mm mounting nuts and the plug for the sensor.

Leave the wiring on the pump and lever the pump directly upwards from the tank, be careful not to break anything.

If you have screenwash in the tank it will start coming out once the pump is removed, hence its better the less you have in!

Carefully unclip the wiring and tubes out of the channels in the tank.

Right, once you have the tank removed, you need to transfer the rubber collar from the top of the tank where the filler neck fits, the level sensor & the grommet, and the grommet for the pump from the small tank to the new bigger one, making sure they are all fitted properly, they are tight but they are meant to be.....it's a good time to clean them too as I guarantee they will be manky!

Also time to fit the 20mm blanking grommet in the large hole...I found it better to warm this up then fit it:

CONTINUED BELOW:
    Last edited by MadOnVaux!; 07-10-2016, 02:57 PM.

CONTINUED:

Riiiight, now time to fit the new tank......it sits back on the original mountings, and with the 10mm nuts

Reconnect the wiring for the level sensor, carefully push the pump back into where it sits and make sure it goes through the grommet, and it needs a firm push to get it to properly sit in where it's supposed to and clip the wiring and tubes into the channels on the tank:

and then fit the filler neck back to the top of the tank, making sure the 'pin' fits in the hole on the battery tray:

and all there is to do now is fill the tank, check for leaks, if you have some, re-check the grommets etc, and then check to make sure the pump is working as it should.

and....refitting everything is reversal of removal ......the only tricky part I had in all of this was lining the 2 parts of the arch liner back together in the middle, and make sure if you have the VX-line skirt, that the arch liner goes behind the bracket and the bracket is lined up with the hole.

So there we go, no longer having to re-fill the tank every week!!

I hope this is of use to you, and any questions please ask
    Last edited by MadOnVaux!; 20-09-2016, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Nice how to mate,,,good job
      ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Nice how to! I didn't know they made a larger tank. I don't know why they don't put one on in the first place.
        2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Originally posted by marko301 View Post
          Nice how to! I didn't know they made a larger tank. I don't know why they don't put one on in the first place.
          Cheers

Yeah it would have made sense to just fit the larger one.

Comment

Good how to and another person who doesn't understand why they've used a smaller tank. Craziness

Comment

this is my next job as I get well peeved off filling it every week.

Thanks MOV

Comment

One for the list definitely. I thought there was a leak or something on mine, not used to seeing the light come up so soon thead . Another one of Vauxhalls cost cutting methods me think's.
                C4 Grand Picasso 2015 Exclusive.

Comment

Thanks Guys

If anyone needs any further help with this just ask on here.

Comment

Nice write-up MOV, what is the difference in capacity? It does look worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Stoat View Post
                      Nice write-up MOV, what is the difference in capacity? It does look worth it.
                      Thanks

I don't actually know the capacity....but I seem to remember someone saying these bigger ones are 5 litre maybe?....and the small ones are maybe 2 litre at a push.

Comment

The bigger ones are 5 and the smaller are 2 or 2.5

Comment

Originally posted by WHIPPY-WOOLLEY View Post
                          The bigger ones are 5 and the smaller are 2 or 2.5

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That then!

Comment

Hell of a difference then, I see quite a few smaller ones in eBay, plus one larger model, £35.95 though, but freepost if anyone is interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Stoat View Post
                              Hell of a difference then, I see quite a few smaller ones in eBay, plus one larger model, £35.95 though, but freepost if anyone is interested.
                              They are only £21 new from Autovaux/GPS

Comment

Working...
                              X