Dual filament hir 2 9012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual filament hir 2 9012

Hi guys, just registered on this forum, and i am in need of some help with getting the name of my bulbs in the headlights right, i have a 15 reg cdti 2.0 ecoflex sri ss 140hp vauxhall insignia. A nice improvement over a 04 renault laguna, 10 years with the laguna and not one bit of trouble with her, a really good car, this insignia though is light years ahead with its comfort and tech, but one place where it falls down is the headlight bulbs, they are really dreadful, compared to the laguna, and from reading other comments on this section, many other owners have found the same. the high beams are even worse, my insignia has a projector style headlight with one bulb dual filament, the reason i know this is, i can not see the bulb through the glass, the vauxhall handbook does not say what type bulb i need to get a replacement.

I am fairly sure it is a HIR 2 9012 bulb, if it is, this is where i am having trouble, searching for this type of bulb does not say whether it is single filament or dual filament, especially when looking at LED bulbs, take one out and have a look i hear you say, i tried to, but the connection was a bit tough to separate, and i do not want to damage it with brute strength, i would like to have the replacement bulb ready to go.

Has anyone changed this specific type of bulb for an LED set, and do you have Hi and Low beams with the LED replacement, most of the ads on Amazon and Ebay for HIR 2 LEDs do not say if they are Hi and Low beam. This is of coarse assuming that i actually have HIR 2 bulbs fitted to my insignia, any help guys would be welcome.

What you have is a bi halogen projector in the headlight.
    Bulb is a single filament with a restriction guard for main beam which then pops out the way when high beam is called for.
    I’ve read these headlights are very poor with the light out put and many members here have fitted hid kits in place of regular HIR2 bulbs.

Have a search to see if any members have fitted led but can’t recal many threads on the subject.

Welcome to the forum and glad your enjoying the siggy.

Comment

It is a 9012,,theyre just single filament ,when the main beam comes on,a shutter opens,allowing more light through the projector
      ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Thanks guys, that was a quick response, i did not know about that type of headlight, i really thought it would have 2 filaments, i really need to get these bulbs changed, i live in a rural area where high beams are a must, i have had a few near misses with these headlights, being use to the lagunas lights all these years, they were fantastic, these headlight bulbs really let the siggy down, i already ordered a pair of philips crystal vision bulbs from amazon america, amazon uk did not have them, i tried to get the x-treme vision, but it seems they do no make them in HIR 2 9012. 37 euro would be a price i would gladly pay to improve the lights, and hopefully avoid a pedestrian on these unlit back roads. I will search this forum, maybe some guys have fitted LEDs instead of these miserable stock bulbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wullie View Post
          What you have is a bi halogen projector in the headlight.
          Bulb is a single filament with a restriction guard for main beam which then pops out the way when high beam is called for.
          I’ve read these headlights are very poor with the light out put and many members here have fitted hid kits in place of regular HIR2 bulbs.

Have a search to see if any members have fitted led but can’t recal many threads on the subject.

Welcome to the forum and glad your enjoying the siggy.
          Just re thinking what you said, a restriction guard, which pops out of the way when high beam is called for, is this guard built into the bulb, or is it part of the headlight housing, if it is part of the headlight housing, that would make searching for LEDs 9012 much easier, because i am finding it nye on imposible to find in the description of LEDs a high and low beam in the one bulb, if they do mention this, they seem to put H4 or H7 In brackets, making me think, high and low beam only work in those specific bulbs.

Comment

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
            It is a 9012,,theyre just single filament ,when the main beam comes on,a shutter opens,allowing more light through the projector
            I hope that shutter is part of the housing, not part of the bulb, are those LEDs on the back of your car in your signature, they look really good on a white siggy. something to think about in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by cranefly65 View Post
              I hope that shutter is part of the housing, not part of the bulb, are those LEDs on the back of your car in your signature, they look really good on a white siggy. something to think about in the future.
              Yeah led,,they work from factory if you have the bi xenon lights,,easy to upgrade to work if you have the halogen lights

and yeah ,the shutter is part of the housing
              ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

I'm afraid you'll waste your money buying any replacement halogen bulbs for your insignia. Believe me I've been there done it and wasted a shed load of money trying even the best named brightest halogens out there. The only way you're gonna get decent light output is go down the HID or LED route. Both are not strictly legal though and will fail the MOT so you will need to put halogens back in when your MOT is due. It takes ten minutes to swap them over though and most of that time is spent tucking the ballasts (if fitting HIDs) and drivers (if fitting LEDs) into the headlight housing behind where the bulb sits. No tools required. Just a bit of patience. LEDs fit easier than HIDs because the drivers are smaller. They also instantly come on at full brightness so better in the daytime when you need to flash your lights. Although HIDs need a few seconds to warm up to temp, they are the brightest option you can get and will be perfect if you drive a lot on rural roads.

These are the kits I had when I had my Facelift Insignia.

HID kit https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUPER-CAN...jGw:rk:38:pf:0 You want 5000k or 6000k colour temp.

LED kit https://www.horizonleds.co.uk/cree-l...d-headlight-v2 Quite costly but they usually offer the discount code HAPPY40

You can get cheaper kits but they're the ones I can recommend from personal experience.
                2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Originally posted by marko301 View Post
                  I'm afraid you'll waste your money buying any replacement halogen bulbs for your insignia. Believe me I've been there done it and wasted a shed load of money trying even the best named brightest halogens out there. The only way you're gonna get decent light output is go down the HID or LED route. Both are not strictly legal though and will fail the MOT so you will need to put halogens back in when your MOT is due. It takes ten minutes to swap them over though and most of that time is spent tucking the ballasts (if fitting HIDs) and drivers (if fitting LEDs) into the headlight housing behind where the bulb sits. No tools required. Just a bit of patience. LEDs fit easier than HIDs because the drivers are smaller. They also instantly come on at full brightness so better in the daytime when you need to flash your lights. Although HIDs need a few seconds to warm up to temp, they are the brightest option you can get and will be perfect if you drive a lot on rural roads.

These are the kits I had when I had my Facelift Insignia.

HID kit https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUPER-CAN...jGw:rk:38:pf:0 You want 5000k or 6000k colour temp.

LED kit https://www.horizonleds.co.uk/cree-l...d-headlight-v2 Quite costly but they usually offer the discount code HAPPY40

You can get cheaper kits but they're the ones I can recommend from personal experience.
                  Just for a (slightly) cheaper HID kit, I purchased these for my insignia over a year ago. One ballast did fail but they honoured their 24 month warranty and replaced the ballast

2 x Ac 9012 HIR2 Bulbs. 35W Canbus. 55W Canbus. Super Canbus. Canbus 501 T10 Leds. Canbus Festoon Leds. HID Xenon KitsHID Xenon Kits. These kits are developed by our in-house engineers, who work closely with the manufacturer to our exacting specifications.

As for failing the MOT it can be hit and miss on the MOT station/tester. The place I use are fine with either halogen, LED or HID in the projector lenses as it produces the correct beam pattern. The tester himself recommended LED bulbs and uses them in one of his own vehicles.

Comment

Thanks for all the recomendations guys, i did have a look at HIDs but went ahead with LEDs as they seem less troublesome in the future, and to be frank, a bit easier to deal with, so i did send of for some on Amazon, thinking i could send them back if they were not any good, or i got the wrong bulb type, i got winpower 9012 bulbs, the upgraded version, and i put them in this evening, they were so easy to fit, and the dust cover went back on with ease, i will have to try them out later on when it gets dark. Heres hoping.

What an improvement, the light pattern seems better, can see a lot more of the road, gave them a check on a white wall, and the cut off was in line with the halogens, out on the road nobody flashed at me, so good for oncoming traffic, any flashing and i would have removed them, it is definately brighter, not by much, but enough to make a difference, really good high beams as well, the halogens were not as good, nice bright white light, the same as the daytime running lights, i could not be more pleased with how they worked, that will make me feel safer now on the unlit country roads, i think they are just less than 4000 lumens per bulb, they do not seem to make any brighter ones that i have found for 9012 bulbs, i would feel confident now trying some that have yellow and white light on the same LEDs, just turn the lights on and off to change the colour, depending on the weather conditions, that would be a sweet upgrade to these, all in all, for my short period with these LEDs i am well pleased with them.
                    Last edited by cranefly; 17-01-2019, 06:41 PM. Reason: Add extra

Comment

Originally posted by cranefly65 View Post
                      Thanks for all the recomendations guys, i did have a look at HIDs but went ahead with LEDs as they seem less troublesome in the future, and to be frank, a bit easier to deal with, so i did send of for some on Amazon, thinking i could send them back if they were not any good, or i got the wrong bulb type, i got winpower 9012 bulbs, the upgraded version, and i put them in this evening, they were so easy to fit, and the dust cover went back on with ease, i will have to try them out later on when it gets dark. Heres hoping.
                      Nice one. How many lumens per bulb. Something I should have added though a little late anyway is you need LEDs with at least 4000 lumens per bulb.
                      2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

I edited my earlier post to add more on my take of these winpower LEDs, all in all i am very pleased with them, just under 4000 lumens per bulb, so not the brightest on the market, although like i said, it was hard to find anything brighter, no warning from the dashboard either when these are fitted.

Comment

The ones in my link are 4000lm per bulb. I found them far better than even the brightest halogens I'd tried. As long as yours beat the halogens that's what matters.

It makes me laugh that after market LEDs are technically illegal but manufacturers can legally put those terrible halogens in.

Comment

Originally posted by marko301 View Post
                            The ones in my link are 4000lm per bulb. I found them far better than even the brightest halogens I'd tried. As long as yours beat the halogens that's what matters.

It makes me laugh that after market LEDs are technically illegal but manufacturers can legally put those terrible halogens in.
                            You are so right, i do not know about other makes, but the insignias lights with those stock halogens were terrible, how they can pass an MOT has me baffled, especially on high beam where no other traffic would be involved, a duller light i have never seen. And rather than get a shark fin aerial for the radio, mine had a normal foot long aerial on the back roof of the car, i ordered at the same time a WRC aluminium coloured stubby type one, 11cm long, and that works perfectly as well, just waiting now for a set of floor mats to arrive from amazon, and my facelift siggy will have another facelift.

Comment

Hi
                              Are you able to put a link to the ones you bought on Amazon. There are two different sets on there from Win Power. I want to make sure I get a set that fit the housing and dont throw up any messages on the dash and the ones you have mentioned fulfil both. Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X