Antifreeze Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antifreeze Question

Wondering if anyone can assist. As well as the GS Tourer we have an Astra that my wife bought a 5 years ago brand new. Its always been serviced by my uncle then i go through the fun and games of the warranty reactivation with Vauxhall via our local dealer. For whatever reason i never got round to getting to the dealer to do the activation again after it was serviced but i'm now sorting with Vauxhall. I've given them everything they need but they are being funny about the fact that in the service book the Antifreeze temp isnt filled in. Now this was never filled in previously and it was never an issue when i had it done via the Service Dept at the dealer but the actual Vauxhall staff are being a bit more picky.

Car is serviced properly each time running fine and my Uncle could have a reasoned guess at what figure should be in there but does anyone have a better idea as to what figure Vauxhall like to see in there for a 14 plate 1.6 Astra? Short of this i look like having to pick up a tester kit and try to figure it as from what i can tell they give a range of figures for various things and there is only one entry that appears to need to be filled in on the Service Book.

Whilst you dont need to be serviced at a dealer they sure like to make it difficult enough when you dont do it that way! Problem is they charge a lot more than my uncle...for example i'm not far off needing the rear brakes on my GS Tourer doing....Pentagon Derby quoted £500 for the work!!

Originally posted by bransoj View Post
    Wondering if anyone can assist. As well as the GS Tourer we have an Astra that my wife bought a 5 years ago brand new. Its always been serviced by my uncle then i go through the fun and games of the warranty reactivation with Vauxhall via our local dealer. For whatever reason i never got round to getting to the dealer to do the activation again after it was serviced but i'm now sorting with Vauxhall. I've given them everything they need but they are being funny about the fact that in the service book the Antifreeze temp isnt filled in. Now this was never filled in previously and it was never an issue when i had it done via the Service Dept at the dealer but the actual Vauxhall staff are being a bit more picky.

Car is serviced properly each time running fine and my Uncle could have a reasoned guess at what figure should be in there but does anyone have a better idea as to what figure Vauxhall like to see in there for a 14 plate 1.6 Astra? Short of this i look like having to pick up a tester kit and try to figure it as from what i can tell they give a range of figures for various things and there is only one entry that appears to need to be filled in on the Service Book.

Whilst you dont need to be serviced at a dealer they sure like to make it difficult enough when you dont do it that way! Problem is they charge a lot more than my uncle...for example i'm not far off needing the rear brakes on my GS Tourer doing....Pentagon Derby quoted £500 for the work!!
    I don't see the point of going to the main dealer if your uncle knows what he's doing, £500 for rear discs and pads fitted?! That's crazy
    2011 2.0 cdti ecoflex excnav
    honeycomb grill, squinty eyes, custom lettering, honeycomb custom fog grills, custom lower centre grill, full black back tints, chrome door knobs, rear wiper removed, custom back badge, custom DRLs, custom diffuser, custom wing, stage 1 remap, pipercross air kit, 210bhp 440nm torque, more on the way

Comment

Originally posted by Jakxta View Post
      I don't see the point of going to the main dealer if your uncle knows what he's doing, £500 for rear discs and pads fitted?! That's crazy
      They won’t be doing it, my uncle has previously worked for ford and vauxhall dealerships along with running his own garage with a good reputation. Not a chance I’m paying a dealer £500 to do it!! The only reason I know it’s that much is because they have it for the warranty fix on the throttle pedal and quoted as part of tell the health check/look for work we can charge for bit they do.

Comment

I think they are just slippery bar stewards. They list two types of long life coolant in their handbooks organic acid type llc down to -28°c or 'in cold regions with very low temperatures factory filled coolant provides frost protection down to approx -37°c'
        It's a check and top up, it is not listed for change at any time in their service schedule!
        There is nothing in my service book to state what type is in. I would guess the figure would be -28, but Vauxhall themselves should know what is in it?

Comment

So they will re-activate the warranty if you put a figure in the antifreeze test box , even though they have seen the service book without that figure being in there ?
          Or am I mis reading this ?
          -28degrees centigrade as said above as we don't live in a harsh climate.
          Or will they want to carry out there own test ?

.K.M.P.C.U
          YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Originally posted by Drew View Post
            I think they are just slippery bar stewards. They list two types of long life coolant in their handbooks organic acid type llc down to -28°c or 'in cold regions with very low temperatures factory filled coolant provides frost protection down to approx -37°c'
            It's a check and top up, it is not listed for change at any time in their service schedule!
            There is nothing in my service book to state what type is in. I would guess the figure would be -28, but Vauxhall themselves should know what is in it?
            Yeh i think its just a case of make it really difficult to do it not using them to try and make people go to a dealer to avoid the hassle. First time i did it it wasnt that bad but its gradually got worse. 2nd time they moved the goalposts on what was needed so third time i called two dealers to double check what was needed to make sure i had everything and one of them tried to tell me it could only be reactivated if serviced by an approved Vauxhall dealership. Now i knew that was crap but i suspect many wouldnt and fall for it.

Originally posted by lizzard-t View Post
            So they will re-activate the warranty if you put a figure in the antifreeze test box , even though they have seen the service book without that figure being in there ?
            Or am I mis reading this ?
            -28degrees centigrade as said above as we don't live in a harsh climate.
            Or will they want to carry out there own test ?
            As far as i can gather based on conversation so far they just need to see the antifreeze temp figure in the stamped service book as the email i've had back had a list of documentation they need and i sent them everything and i just got a reply that had the list showing as :-

Stamped Service Book
            · Record of antifreeze temperature

No mention of them wanting to do the test etc. My uncle has passed me onto a guy he knows who works for Pentagon now that he used to work with in his Vauxhall days. He is now an area manager type for Service things and is asking one of his master techs what the figure should read and letting me know. I will then update, send it them and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by bransoj View Post

There's what they wrote in my service book on the past two services
              2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Originally posted by marko301 View Post
                There's what they wrote in my service book on the past two services
                Cheers. That’s the sorts of range of figures my uncle assumed it was around.

Comment

Working...
                X