Head Gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Gasket

Cars just been in for a service, they mentioned the head gasket maybe on its way out.. I was like ohh gosh..

I did notice earlier on when I got in the car when it was cold and it took about 5 mins and the temp was like this:

That’s not normal is it? Are these common to go on a car of this age? Also what the approx cost?
    2009 Insignia Elite 1.8

Seems perfectly normal to me. What did you think is wrong with a temperature of 90 degrees?

Comment

Originally posted by Ernst View Post
      Seems perfectly normal to me. What did you think is wrong with a temperature of 90 degrees?
      The car was stone cold I was driving for about 5 mins and the temp was at 90 degrees.. maybe it’s just stuck in my head when they mentioned head gasket..

Are there any things I should be looking for if it is the head?
      2009 Insignia Elite 1.8

Comment

Are you loosing coolant, or signs of oil in you coolant reservoir?
        My diesel takes a bit longer to reach 90 degrees, but then again, diesels always warm up a bit slower then petrol engines. It also depends on how you’re driving this 5 minutes.

Comment

Head Gasket

Originally posted by Ernst View Post
          Are you loosing coolant, or signs of oil in you coolant reservoir?
          Can’t see any oil in the coolant reservoir, I’ve made my coolant level to the below level:

Will keep my eye on and see if it drops.

Not used to a petrol engine as my past two cars were diesel.. 5 min drive was around 30mph
          2009 Insignia Elite 1.8

Comment

Once mines up to temp the gauge sits at around 90, diesel engines always take a bit longer to warm up and I would just keep checking for any oil in the coolant along with any coolant in the engine oil[the oil filler cap will probably have a creamy/mayonnaise look,if you don't have any of these problems then you might want to change the garage you use----why and how did they come to the idea that the head gasket could be in danger of going-Just noticed that you have a petrol engine car,but the same applies,when I had my Vectra the temp gauge always got up to 90 and stayed there,the only problem with the 1.8vvt engine was to fit a new genuine thermostat if the temp gauge was varying,if you fit a cheapie it can give you further problems---Dave
            Last edited by Dave1419; 14-02-2019, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1419 View Post
              Once mines up to temp the gauge sits at around 90, diesel engines always take a bit longer to warm up and I would just keep checking for any oil in the coolant along with any coolant in the engine oil[the oil filler cap will probably have a creamy/mayonnaise look,if you don't have any of these problems then you might want to change the garage you use----why and how did they come to the idea that the head gasket could be in danger of going-Just noticed that you have a petrol engine car,but the same applies,when I had my Vectra the temp gauge always got up to 90 and stayed there,the only problem with the 1.8vvt engine was to fit a new genuine thermostat if the temp gauge was varying,if you fit a cheapie it can give you further problems---Dave
              Thanks for this mate, he did a pressure test on the coolant and said it wasn’t holding the pressure??

I’ll keep a close eye on the coolant level along with the oil filler cap.. not sure if the thermostat has ever been changed.. is it an easy one to do?

I was planning on driving down to London next week but I’m a bit unsure now... [emoji15]
              2009 Insignia Elite 1.8

Comment

Thermostat is easy to do,just make sure you buy a genuine part--think they are made by Wahler--try Autovaux to see if they have any----Dave

Comment

Thermostat is easy to do,just make sure you buy a genuine part--think they are made by Wahler--try Autovaux to see if they have any----Dave
                  This the one mate??
                  2009 Insignia Elite 1.8

Comment

90 is normal running temp,they mayo f had the engine running before you picked it up,so the engine was not cold although cold outside,she warmed up quick.Get a local indy garage to pressure test the cooling system before your journey.
                    Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
                    Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Try k-seal for the head gasket first. It cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Howy View Post
                        90 is normal running temp,they mayo f had the engine running before you picked it up,so the engine was not cold although cold outside,she warmed up quick.Get a local indy garage to pressure test the cooling system before your journey.
                        I’ll take it to another garage tomorrow and ask them to pressure test.. fingers crossed it’s ok [emoji1696]
                        2009 Insignia Elite 1.8

Comment

Originally posted by a602820922 View Post
                          Try k-seal for the head gasket first. It cheaper.
                          Just googled this looks like a decent product.. how much would I need? And would I need to bleed the system to empty?
                          2009 Insignia Elite 1.8

Comment

Hello, yes that's the one think I have a new one {genuine in the garage) and I could sell you it if you want, let's know if you are interested - - Dave

Comment

Hello, yes that's the one think I have a new one {genuine in the garage) and I could sell you it if you want, let's know if you are interested - - Dave
                              Thanks but I’m thinking I may just get the system tested and if it is on its way out just to get it replaced so I have peace of mind it’s done as I do quite a bit of motorway runs
                              2009 Insignia Elite 1.8

Comment

Working...
                              X