Headlamp problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlamp problem

Good afternoon. I could really do with some advice please. My 58reg diesel vauxhall Insignia CDTi is a fantastic car! It runs brilliantly and always has done. However recently the headlamps have been playing up. They're fine dipped but when i put them into full beam they flash for a few seconds before settling down, and now although the dash says i'm on full beam it sometimes takes a few attempts to get them to go on full beam. The garage has put a new indicator stalk on and that makes no difference at all, and so the old stalk is back on and the problem remains the same. They're now at a bit of a loss as am i. They're talking about relays which i understand are welded in and will cost a small fortune to replace or test. Has anyone else had this issue with their Insignia before? and if so was is resolved and how?? I don't want to get rid of this car I know she's an old lady now but she's in great condition and runs brilliantly she's only just (despite her age) clocked 100Kmiles. I would really be most grateful if someone out there can help me. I should add the garage I use are very trusted and have served me excellently for years now.

I should add My alternator and battery are fine...this was suggested as a possible issue on another forum.

Comment

You found it

Comment

Perhaps you could record a video of the problem and post it up here.

Comment

Not sure that'll make much difference it's simply the headlights flashing on and off when I put them on full. That's of course WHEN they decide to go on full. I have ti flick the headlamp/indicator stalk several times before they go into full beam.

Comment

Sounds like a relay is starting to fail----not sure which one it is---will try and have a look for you---perhaps some of other regulars on here might help---if its a relay i'm sure they just pull out and put the new one in------Dave

Comment

my garage are under the impression that the relays are welded in!!!

Comment

Welded in ???--I have been looking and what I can find is that there are 3 relays in the engine fuse box that control the headlights---I will put up the pictures and the number of the fuses that should be looked at---unfortunately the relay colours are not shown in the Haynes manual but of the 3 --Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191101_183254 (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	243854Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191101_183233 (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	243855--2 should be the same colour.the fuses you need to check are --F14--F37 and F38.Ont he pictures you will see the Dots next to the relays that control the lights.if your garage is saying that the relays are welded then I would get an Auto electrician to have a look at it in case something is not right with the electrics----E-F and G are the relays------Dave

Comment

Possibly means soldered.
                  If they've said "welded" then I'd go elsewhere.

Comment

That's what I would be doing too Rab----thinking that they are not bothered--that's why I mentioned an Auto-electrician------Dave

Comment

Normally the headlamp relay is of an orange colour .
                      Or it could be the CIM ( central integrated module ) which lies behind the steering wheel .but an auto electrician shoukd be able to assertain what's at fault .

.K.M.P.C.U
                      YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Wasn't too sure which colour but according to Haynes 2 are the same connections and the 3rd one is smaller----and they just pull out from the fusebox-----Dave

Comment

Thank you chaps I’m so very grateful for all your assistance I’m at the end of my tether with the head lights I’m so afraid the what ought to be a reasonable fix may turn out to be too expensive for the age of the car. I love this car and I’ve no intention of scrapping her for a faulty headlight

Comment

Originally posted by Janey View Post
                            I love this car
                            Your not from Sheffield by any chance????

Comment

Originally posted by RBH View Post
                              Your not from Sheffield by any chance????

His wife was called Jane.

LED interior lights. Chrome mirror caps & door handle covers. LED reverse light bulbs. Pedal box. Atomic Alloys. Steel Structure spare wheel. Boot floor risers. Rear exit exhaust & rear valance. M Y ‘15’ front grille.

Comment

Working...
                              X