2015 plate 2l diesel help/reassurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 plate 2l diesel help/reassurance

Hello, I've been looking at a 15 plate 2L cdti ecoflex elite. I was all set to go for it as it's such a nice car. Brilliant spec and 49k miles. Never had a diesel before so spoke to a mechanic about running costs etc. He said don't buy an Insignia... Loads of issues especially with diesel (software), very expensive to repair. I don't know if he was referring to earlier models which have had issues that are sorted in the 15 plate facelift? I know mechanics have different views on cars and what goes wrong with them. There are obvious running costs with any car but don't want to buy into unnecessary costs due to a car's design. I've not had a Vauxhall since the Cavalier. Having driven the Insignia it seems such a nice car and there doesn't seem to be anything to touch it in terms of value for the spec in its class. Any balanced views would be greatly appreciated.

every make of car has their faults including insignias,,im on my 3rd one,over the space of nearly 6 years,,all diesels too,,,mustve done 60+k mls in them,over that time ….changed a glow plug in the first one
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Well had diesel cars for most of life, last car was a petrol Astra J 2013. The Insignia is cheaper to run, tax, Insurance, mpg etc.

All cars petrol or diesel have issues. All il say is if you do low milage maybe look at a petrol, or be prepared to give a big diesel a good run once a week.

My Vectra diesel was faultless, my mondeo diesel had injector issues, turbo hoses issues, Peugeot diesel was fine, citreon was OK, River was ok

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
      Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Had my 2012 Eliite Auto Nav 2L diesel from new. Has 65,000mls on the clock and had no problems. Great car, great value but for some strange reason very much under-rated in some quarters.

Comment

Thanks. I do about 8000 miles a year. I regularly go on a bypass but only 5 minutes or so at 70mph. I'm guessing it would need more than that to clear the dpf? If there are software resets needed can that be done by a local garage if they have the equipment or is it a dealer only job?

Comment

Originally posted by daveg View Post
            Had my 2012 Eliite Auto Nav 2L diesel from new. Has 65,000mls on the clock and had no problems. Great car, great value but for some strange reason very much under-rated in some quarters.
            Yes I'm finding that in reviews. It's a lot of car for the money.

Comment

Originally posted by Gee View Post
              Thanks. I do about 8000 miles a year. I regularly go on a bypass but only 5 minutes or so at 70mph. I'm guessing it would need more than that to clear the dpf? If there are software resets needed can that be done by a local garage if they have the equipment or is it a dealer only job?
              just check before you buy it ,if its upto date software wise,,,vx customer service can confirm this ,by supplying the registration no
              ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
                just check before you buy it ,if its upto date software wise,,,vx customer service can confirm this ,by supplying the registration no
                Do VX do the update for free if it needs it?

Comment

Only 8k per year and only 5 minutes per journey on faster roads could cause problems for a diesel. Why not get a petrol? The running costs for 8k per year won't be much more and you'll avoid the risk of problems with a diesel.

'Unreliability' problems with Vauxhalls are often due to Vauxhalls being relatively inexpensive (good value for money) so they are more likely to be bought by people who don't have as much money, who then skimp on maintenance.

Comment

Do VX do the update for free if it needs it?
                    yes,,,wouldn't think itll need any now though

Comment

Originally posted by 2000rpm View Post
                      Only 8k per year and only 5 minutes per journey on faster roads could cause problems for a diesel. Why not get a petrol? The running costs for 8k per year won't be much more and you'll avoid the risk of problems with a diesel.

'Unreliability' problems with Vauxhalls are often due to Vauxhalls being relatively inexpensive (good value for money) so they are more likely to be bought by people who don't have as much money, who then skimp on maintenance.
                      Fair point.
                      The 5 mins is part of my daily commute, but do longer motorway journeys now and then (at least once a month) Yes ideally petrol, but there seem to be significantly more diesels on the 2nd hand market for some reason.
                      Last edited by Gee; 27-02-2019, 07:34 PM. Reason: Added text

Comment

Fair point.
                        The 5 mins is part of my daily commute, but do longer motorway journeys now and then (at least once a month) Yes ideally petrol, but there seem to be significantly more diesels on the 2nd hand market for some reason.
                        Because the government did a u turn on Diesels, now people are scared of the pollution that they dont produce. They jumping on electric band wagon.

Iv changed my daily commute, added another 8 miles each time way most days. Full tank actually lasts longer and mpg is going up. Diesels like to be driven.

Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Fair point.
                          if you did go for the diesel,itll be well worth fittng the led light,to show the regeneration process is in progress,,,the main cause of dpf problems is due to the process being interrupted,ie engine switched off,let the cycle complete itself and youll get no problem,mine does a regen religiously every 2 weeks,or approx. 450mls

Comment

Fair point.
                            Most Insignias (about 80%) were diesel because it helped such large heavy cars give good CO2 emission figures which was the fashionable emissions target of the last decade.

As exclusiv. pointed out: if you know when a DPF regeneration is in progress you'll be able to continue driving to avoid the DPF becoming blocked.
                            Of course in the middle of summer with a boot load of shopping the ice cream might melt by the time you get home from your extended journey.

Comment

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
                              if you did go for the diesel,itll be well worth fittng the led light,to show the regeneration process is in progress,,,the main cause of dpf problems is due to the process being interrupted,ie engine switched off,let the cycle complete itself and youll get no problem,mine does a regen religiously every 2 weeks,or approx. 450mls
                              Everyone swears by the light, I fitted it but only ever stays on a few seconds.

Done over 6k in car now, so either I have a huge issue looming or it's doing regeneration OK just not telling me .

Comment

Working...
                              X