Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody Fitted/Routed a Rear Facing Camera onto the Hatchback Window?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody Fitted/Routed a Rear Facing Camera onto the Hatchback Window?

As title really. I've got a rear facing dashcam/camera to fit to my hatchback, but struggling to see a decent way to actually route the cable.

Not worried about the actual power/earth stuff, that's no bother, it's just getting the cable "jumped" across from the body onto the actual hatchback glass itself that's got me stumped.

Anybody got any good suggestions, or even a pic of how they have achieved similar?

Easy enough to tuck the cable in behind panels right up to the centre of the headlining at the back I guess, but there's then going to need to be a horrible nasty long loop of cable left, in order to allow the hatch to lift up and away from the body without ripping the camera off of the glass.

One thing I did see mentioned elsewhere, but not on an Insignia, was the possibility of running the cable up through the rubber boot/grommet, from the body, into the hatch itself, and then routing the cable onwards from there.

All ideas welcomed!

I have done it. I get some pics up later.

Comment

Originally posted by sriray View Post
      I have done it. I get some pics up later.
      Thanks, that would be much appreciated.

Comment

puppet Here we go.

I dremmel room for the cable to fit through.

The wire comes out from the grommet sleeving then back in

The grommet is supported by a clip that is removable.

If you follow the grommet in the boot you end up inside inbetween the metal, so you can see I have made room to feed the cable in the trim
        Last edited by sriray; 20-06-2018, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sriray View Post
          puppet Here we go.

I dremmel room for the cable to fit through.

The wire comes out from the grommet sleeving then back in

The grommet is supported by a clip that is removable.

If you follow the grommet in the boot you end up inside inbetween the metal, so you can see I have made room to feed the cable in the trim
          Tidy job Ray
          ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
            Tidy job Ray
            Cheers Dave

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to take some photos sriray, much appreciated.

Like the idea of making a couple of wee notches in the plastic trim.

I understand what you mean about the cable ending up sort of stuck inside the boot if you fed it all the way through the boot into the metalwork, but I can't quite understand why some of the cable is tied along the outside of the flexy boot, but then popped actually though it near the end on the hatchback?

Comment

Originally posted by puppet View Post
                Thanks for taking the time to take some photos sriray, much appreciated.

Like the idea of making a couple of wee notches in the plastic trim.

I understand what you mean about the cable ending up sort of stuck inside the boot if you fed it all the way through the boot into the metalwork, but I can't quite understand why some of the cable is tied along the outside of the flexy boot, but then popped actually though it near the end on the hatchback?
                Is because the head of the cable (plug) is too thick to feed inside the sleeving, tried no room to manoeuvre.

Comment

Ah, ok.

I assume you could just have tied the cable onto the outside of the rubber sleeve, and just popped it through into the sleeve at the body end, to get it inside the car.

Comment

Originally posted by puppet View Post
                    Ah, ok.

I assume you could just have tied the cable onto the outside of the rubber sleeve, and just popped it through into the sleeve at the body end, to get it inside the car.
                    Yes that's correct

Comment

Close up pic.

Comment

Perfect. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                        X